• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Photography thread

Fabulous :cool:
Canon conversion?
Hi Thank you, I had a couple of quite old Nikon DSLR D70 cameras, so one i butchered myself for 'Full Spectrum' photography, the other one i had it 'properly' converted to only pick up Infrared 720n light. Both cameras work as they should ( focusing etc ) but you have to custom reset the White Balance. Also choose your lenses carefully as some can cause a focus shift, luckily the cheaper end of the lens scale work the best

Thank you for your comments.

Hi Thank you, I had a couple of quite old Nikon DSLR D70 cameras, so one i butchered myself for 'Full Spectrum' photography, the other one i had it 'properly' converted to only pick up Infrared 720n light. Both cameras work as they should ( focusing etc ) but you have to custom reset the White Balance. Also choose your lenses carefully as some can cause a focus shift, luckily the cheaper end of the lens scale work the best

Thank you for your comments.
Do you do any image processing / channel swapping on your ir images to bring out the white foilage ?

Do you do any image processing / channel swapping on your ir images to bring out the white foilage ?
I do sometimes on the 'full spectrum' camera, but that is only because i tampered with it and it is not quite right! The other camera that i took those photos with is straight out of the camera, no post processing at all/

Here are a couple more from the same ramble - the brighter the day the better the effect as you need natural light full of IR, I am just experimenting with night time Ultra Violet but so far the results have not been good, i need to play around a bit more with the full spectrum camera.... But i do really like the 720nn Infrared pictures, especially as this was a very old D-70 camera :cool:

Attachments

• Locksbrook road resized for THs d.JPG
    Locksbrook road resized for THs d.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized for Th c.JPG
    Resized for Th c.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized for TH b.JPG
    Resized for TH b.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 16
Here are a couple more from the same ramble - the brighter the day the better the effect as you need natural light full of IR, I am just experimenting with night time Ultra Violet but so far the results have not been good, i need to play around a bit more with the full spectrum camera.... But i do really like the 720nn Infrared pictures, especially as this was a very old D-70 camera :cool:
I still use a Canon 20D from around the same era as your D70. It remains a very capable camera; the rear screen is a bit small compared with modern DSLRs, but there's nothing wrong with the image quality I reckon.

I still use a Canon 20D from around the same era as your D70. It remains a very capable camera; the rear screen is a bit small compared with modern DSLRs, but there's nothing wrong with the image quality I reckon.

I have a 20D that I bought in 2004. The image quality is fine, but the autofocus is very limited by today's standards. Compact flash cards are also a bit of a liability nowadays, and there's no Windows 10 driver for the camera.

Two years ago I got an R6 as a retirement present from my employer, and that was a revelation. The tracking autofocus is fantastic ... super fast and reliable. There's also a Canon adapter to use EF and EF-S mount lenses on it.

It's a 20D I have. Can someone please tell me the purpose of the mini USB socket? Should it hook up to a lap top to download images (mine won't)? And can the 20D be used as a video camera?

It's a 20D I have. Can someone please tell me the purpose of the mini USB socket? Should it hook up to a lap top to download images (mine won't)? And can the 20D be used as a video camera?
I normally just pull the card to download the images - I have a CF reader on my PC, but you can use an external reader. I think the USB was just for direct printing from the camera.
No video I'm afraid .

I have a 20D that I bought in 2004. The image quality is fine, but the autofocus is very limited by today's standards. Compact flash cards are also a bit of a liability nowadays, and there's no Windows 10 driver for the camera.

Two years ago I got an R6 as a retirement present from my employer, and that was a revelation. The tracking autofocus is fantastic ... super fast and reliable. There's also a Canon adapter to use EF and EF-S mount lenses on it.
I have more modern bodies, but I still like the results from my old 20D - the technology of the day didn't allow Canon to squeeze too many megapixels on a small crop sensor.
I'd agree CF is a bit clunky today, but I have to say I've never been caught out with the autofocus, even with the permanently attached 70-210 F4 on it. It probably wouldn't keep up with a passing F-15, but it certainly has no trouble with an older mode of transport:
steam.jpg

I have more modern bodies, but I still like the results from my old 20D - the technology of the day didn't allow Canon to squeeze too many megapixels on a small crop sensor.
I'd agree CF is a bit clunky today, but I have to say I've never been caught out with the autofocus, even with the permanently attached 70-210 F4 on it. It probably wouldn't keep up with a passing F-15, but it certainly has no trouble with an older mode of transport:

Lovely picture.

Similarly I always had a 70-200 f/4L on my 20D as that was used for action stuff 99% of the time (I've always had a good quality compact for general photography ... the image quality from large sensor ones is more than adequate). I did get some good action shots with the 20D over the years but the hit rate was not great on fast moving things (dogs, horses, aircraft in my case). The R6 is in a totally different league, with eye tracking that can keep up with birds in flight etc. using a 100-500 lens. Plus a full frame sensor of course. So a big step forward, for me.

Capture.JPG

Even with the ISO cranked up to 800, the old 20D/ 70-200 F4L combo can produce some reasonable results

Attachments

• Jaz.jpg
    Jaz.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Fabulous - when you get quality like this from a phone, it makes you wonder why we still lug a DSLR and lenses around!
Quite....im working at the NEC this week. I've seen several film crews filming their stuff with a iPhone pro on a tripod. Speaking to them they said they still have the big cameras but inside in a well lit venue the phone produces better than TV quality UHD images without having to lug heavy stuff around all day. Pretty amazing really. Mind you the grade of phone they were using was close to £2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom