• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

** Pic's of my new car, DESIGNO S63AMG V8 BiTurbo W221**

Of course I like the interior - same colour scheme as my CLS - but that version of the S class is for me the best-looking of all; like the W140 back in the day, it has real "Get out of my way, peasants" presence.

Glad to see you back. Love seeing what your doing to your cars. Thought I was OCD, but I'm the equivalent of one of the East European car wash boy's with the dirty rag that does everything next to you:mad:šŸ‘

WOW! Sam, what Epic motors! šŸ˜ŽšŸ™‚šŸ‘

Thank you! :)

Beautiful car šŸ‘

Thank you! :)

Of course I like the interior - same colour scheme as my CLS - but that version of the S class is for me the best-looking of all; like the W140 back in the day, it has real "Get out of my way, peasants" presence.

I really like light coloured interiors, it was the main thing that stood out when I saw the car for sale.
Haha :D, I do know what you mean, they do have a lot of road presence :)

Glad to see you back. Love seeing what your doing to your cars. Thought I was OCD, but I'm the equivalent of one of the East European car wash boy's with the dirty rag that does everything next to you:mad:šŸ‘

Thank you! Youā€™re very kind but thereā€™s still lots of room for me to improve :)
Plus, my engine bay is not as shine as in your S63AMG :D

I have no words, just amazing. I thought my old was bad :oops:

šŸ˜
Thank you!

I watched a video from Exotic Car DIY regarding a oil pump solenoid sensor and how it actually helps if you disconnect the sensor.
I done some more research and I thought I'd disconnect the sensor on my S63.

I haven't driven the car as it has been sorned and will not be used until summer time.

For anyone that has an M157 or M278 engine, this might be useful information's and i thought I'd share it here too

Missing oil sensor:
There is a oil tap/plug on the oil filter base to use for a manual oil gauge or a sensor.

That is where MAX pressure is found near pump. MIN pressure is found all the way to rear bank1 where HPFP only gets what pressure is left over.

Meaning the pressure at filter is only a partial overall view. There is a pressure leakage right at timing cover that has no gasket and no silicone... we have not figured why MB wants no oil seal at timing cover.

> Proof in the pudding:
From the oil filter location you can chart pressure vs. RPM to evidence how ECU is forcing low-pressure below 3500.RPM.
eek.gif

The engine PDF description almost read nicely... Daimler wants "warm up the oil"....but there is NO FEEDBACK CONTROL to limp-mode when cheap valve gets stuck on low-pressure. It blows-up the engine piston/crankshaft bearings RIP.

managed pump pressure...

Now we know why the piston rings get stuck with burned oil carbon... Then it causes high blow-by crankcase pressure that blows oil out of everywhere possible: seals, plenum, vacuum pump, "oil-in-harness" CPS, ...

The design idea to warm up is all right and if it was well developed - When quarts of oil get vaporized you'd think it is hot enough so they can quit driving on low pressure to warm up the engine.
This feature is like the "Job of a summer intern" that never got completed - IT'S UNSAFE!

There is s big unspoken design gap about the VVT gears. They rely on pressure to work well. Low pressure virtually disablestge non-ratcheting tensioners and VVT that has to lock in neutral. That's the genesis of engine rattle wear.

> Idle quality:
Listen to the idle quality improvements with legacy oil pressure !!
The camshafts sound is quieter
The HPFP is much quieter
The tensioners hold the chain tight and
The RPM is evenly smooth instead of up/down
The cold engine warm-up high-idle is much shorter

> Closely matched Trims:
Trims are always somewhat matched to engine else a CEL flag is raised. More fuel means more power, that what we get here! Better burn allows more fuel delivery at lower RPM.

Here is how...
The smoother camshaft timing driven by the tight tensioners and the pressurized VVT gear allows the HPFP Qty valve timing to be exact in regard of 3/4 lobes showing up with minimal variations.

This means fuel pressure is well regulated not just averaged. In turn that allows for injector trim to chart better fuel maps from cleaner lambda sensors.
It does take about 1000Miles to reach that stage of improved engine driveability. Meaning improvements happen gradually starting from the first 10Miles test drive.

> Unnecessary chaos:

This feature introduces so much drama that its impossible Daimler isn't aware of it's negative impact with zero benefit besides service needs.

This is where the sensor is located..... [ not my pic ]

This are the results of disconnecting the sensor [ forum member Kevm14 from MBWorld ]

I cannot believe how snappy it is on a free rev right from idle. This translates to the rest of the improvements which I will summarize.

1) The part throttle response/torque delivery from a low RPM is totally smoothed out and stronger. I'm talking like 1000-2000 rpm situations where you roll into the throttle. It was unsmooth and would kind of surge before. I even threw a wastegate vacuum harness at it as well as a vacuum pump check valve, thinking that might help. Nope, it was the damn VVT not reacting right to low oil pressure due to the oil pump valve bleeding pressure at low RPM.

2) Idle quality is improved in general. It's just smoother.

3) Revving response in park/neutral as the video shows is extremely crisp. I can't believe it actually.

4) And here's one that really blows me away. I thought I had MCT clutch chatter, like when slowly moving off the line, up a slight hill or something. I just figured, hey, it has 102k on it, it's going to chatter a little bit. Well, the MCT engagement is COMPLETELY smooth now. Like I said, I am blown away. Forward, reverse - it's totally smooth. I was convinced it was the MCT! It was just the engine running unsmoothly.

5) Actually the transmission shifting itself seems smoother to me (up and down).

Now do I think this really adds any peak power? No, because the oil pump valve would already be closed in those situations. But for all the situations where you are at part throttle, especially at lower rpm, this made a huge difference. Oh, and no CEL. Engine sounds healthy and strong. I have zero concerns about any downsides to this. I think it is all upside, incredibly.

Alright, now someone else try it! You're welcome in advance for bringing this to the W212 AMG forum, even though it seemed to be known to the M276 community already.

I couldn't stop driving it when I was done.

Last edited:
I missed this post Sam, just read it now. Have already unplugged mine as you can see from my other post.

The revs are definitely snappy as I also described this in my thread. I thought my mind was playing games. I reckon the 4 bars enables the cams to adjust much quicker. I also like the idea of the oil sprayers in full time employment, should help with cooling and lubrication. šŸ™‚

Sound wise I think its slightly quieter by a very marginal amount. However having said that my engine is quiet anyway to start with. I have taken some before and after sound clips, using a directional Rode mic, will try and upload later.

Definitely warms up a tiny bit faster than before which is an improvement, which means as I can drive off much sooner from cold. šŸ™‚šŸ‘

I missed this post Sam, just read it now. Have already unplugged mine as you can see from my other post.

The revs are definitely snappy as I also described this in my thread. I thought my mind was playing games. I reckon the 4 bars enables the cams to adjust much quicker. I also like the idea of the oil sprayers in full time employment, should help with cooling and lubrication. šŸ™‚

Sound wise I think its slightly quieter by a very marginal amount. However having said that my engine is quiet anyway to start with. I have taken some before and after sound clips, using a directional Rode mic, will try and upload later.

Definitely warms up a tiny bit faster than before which is an improvement, which means as I can drive off much sooner from cold. šŸ™‚šŸ‘

My friend said the same thing about the revs and he noticed the gear changes seems to be better also? Comparing the smoothness of the gearboxes between my S63 and the S65, I prefer the 5 speed gearbox šŸ«£. I know some might not agree. Obviously the gear box in the S63 is faster but I love how smooth the 5 speed box is.

Another member reported this happened after disconnecting the sensor
View attachment 151196

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Looks like it's worth unplugging that sensor šŸ˜

Wow it looks great here!

Not much to report apart from getting a new plate for the S63AMG.

I have a few plates that say OCD as a joke as most of us car enthusiasts seem to have a bit of an OCD when it comes to our cars :D
The current plate thatā€™s on the car also says OCD but I wanted something different.

The plate for the S65 says V12 I OCD and I thought if I could get a similar plate for the S63, it would be quite cool to having matching plates for both cars.

After contacting DVLA and being told that the plate was available, I said I was happy to go ahead and buy it.
Itā€™s not that simple as DVLA auctions any plates that have not been for sale before and thereā€™s no buy it now price.

I got told Iā€™d have to wait 6 months until the plate would go on auction. 3 months later, the plate appeared on their website and I had to wait another 3 months until the auction would go live.

I was a bit worried if Iā€™d be able to buy it as other people might now be interested in buying the plate.

The plate went up for sale and after 6 anxious days, the plate was mine :)

I havenā€™t assigned the plate to the car yet but I will be doing that soon.

Here it is

And the S65

The M3 plate

Not much to report apart from getting a new plate for the S63AMG.

I have a few plates that say OCD as a joke as most of us car enthusiasts seem to have a bit of an OCD when it comes to our cars :D
The current plate thatā€™s on the car also says OCD but I wanted something different.

The plate for the S65 says V12 I OCD and I thought if I could get a similar plate for the S63, it would be quite cool to having matching plates for both cars.

After contacting DVLA and being told that the plate was available, I said I was happy to go ahead and buy it.
Itā€™s not that simple as DVLA auctions any plates that have not been for sale before and thereā€™s no buy it now price.

I got told Iā€™d have to wait 6 months until the plate would go on auction. 3 months later, the plate appeared on their website and I had to wait another 3 months until the auction would go live.

I was a bit worried if Iā€™d be able to buy it as other people might now be interested in buying the plate.

The plate went up for sale and after 6 anxious days, the plate was mine :)

I havenā€™t assigned the plate to the car yet but I will be doing that soon.

Here it is

And the S65

The M3 plate

Brilliant! Love um. Even the BM.
šŸ˜‰šŸ™‚šŸ‘

OCD, pretty unusual name, thought your name was SAM :banana::mad::banana::);):oops:

OCD, pretty unusual name, thought your name was SAM :banana::mad::banana::);):oops:

Sam aka Mr OCD šŸ¤£

Given the plates are all OCD, Iā€™m amazed theyā€™re all incorrectly spacedā€¦ā€¦.šŸ™„šŸ¤£

I guess you could say I'm not a true OCD person šŸ¤£....... In my case OCD stands for Obsessive Car Disorder šŸ˜

If you lived around here you would not do it...i guess the cops don't have as much to do around here!!..A silver C Class owning neighbour of mine is back on stock 19 plates (it was something like K834LES)....spaced to look vaguely like his name K Beale's. He got stopped a while back and warned and the DVLA was told .. .got stopped a second time.... letter from the DVLA... plate confiscated. He could buy it back....but unless he miss spaces it, it looks like nothing anyway....so now just sticking with stock plates. They can do it so easily as you don't pay to ever own the plates, just use them so the DVLA still owns them and can take them back in such circumstances pretty easily.

....... and before anyone says its a rare occurrence... thats true.... this is only the second time I've heard of it happening and the first time was back when I was working in the trade 20 odd years ago.

What has been done to the car since I bought it?

I ordered all the filters from Mercedes, air, oil, pollen, spark plugs x8, engine mounts, gear box mount, front pads and sensor.
I read that the camshaft sensors let oil in the wiring loom and eventually damage the ECU. I checked them out and noticed that one of the sensors had a small amount of oil. I thought it's best to change all so I ordered 4 camshaft sensors at Mercedes and changed those as well.

Iā€™ve lowered the car ( I havenā€™t gone too low this timeā€¦ā€¦.. I think :rolleyes: )

I had the spoiler painted. The first time I ordered the paint, it was only Ā£23 for 200 grams [ that's how much the bodyshop guy told me to order ]. The paint turned out to be a completely different shade. I went back to the shop and told him the colour was way off. Thatā€™s when he realised that itā€™s a Designo paint :rolleyes:. He said this is a special paint which basically meant more money. Just one of the liquids he said he needed to use to mix the paint was Ā£100 for a small can and he would have to use most of that liquid for my paint. For the same amount of paint I needed, it was Ā£95 instead of Ā£23 that I paid the first time. I said just give me the correct paint this time as I don't want the spoiler to be painted 3 times.

The spoiler was painted for the second time and the colour match was perfect. When I got it back, I tried to fit it myself but I was struggling to line it up. I tried to take it off and refit it again but on one corner it was proper stuck and as I was using some force to pull it off, it flew off my hand and hit the other S class. I lifted the car cover and noticed I had put a dent on the rear quarter panel on the S65AMG šŸ˜” The spoiler got damaged also because it fell off my hand. Off it went to get painted for the third time :(
I also called the dent man to come and remove the dent on my car asap. He did a brilliant job and you would never know there was a dent there before.
We got there in the end and the spoiler is finally on after being painted for the third time.

The car came with it's original AMG 20 inch alloys and it also came with 21 inch AMG wheels but they were black.
I know a lot of people like black alloys but Iā€™m not one of them as I think they loose all the details.
I sent the wheels off to get refurbished and I thought Iā€™d try a different colour this time. I went for shadow chrome.
The colour looked beautiful but I think it would have clashed with the colour of the car.
As embarrassed as I was, I told the guys I wanted the wheels painted again a different colour as shadow chrome just wouldn't work. I decided to go for hyper silver. They know Iā€™m fussy and no questions asked, they painted the wheels ā€œagainā€!
This time I liked the colour. It's a bright hyper silver and the paint has so much shine/depth, I just love it.

Four new Pirelli tyres were ordered and I went for Mercedes fitment. Iā€™ve never bought a tyre that was as expensive as the back ones for the 21 inch wheels.
The oem size for S class W221 with 21 inch wheels should be 245/35/21 fronts and 285/30/21 rears.
I also bought four new tyre pressure sensors as I wanted to leave the sensors on the original wheels in case I use them winter time. The original 20's also have winter tyres on. I highly doubt Iā€™d be using the cars when there is salt on the road but I left the sensors on anyways.

While the wheels and the spoiler were being done, I wanted to wash the underside of the car. This car has by far the cleanest underside of any car I've owned but it was also the dirtiest at the same time. There is zero rust but there was a lot of mud and I mean A LOT of mud! I removed all the covers, wheel arches and anything else that would hide any dirt and started washing the underside.

As youā€™ll see, there was quite a bit of dirt that came off. Once all done, it did look very clean but itā€™s not finished yet as there is room for improvements.

I have fitted my private plate on the car which will match nicely with the S65AMG private plate.

For anyone that is thinking, how does the S63AMG compare to the S65AMG?
I think the V8 sounds like a muscle car, I love the sound it makes. The V12 is a very smooth engine but my god does it go when you put your foot down.
On paper, the performance pack S63AMG is not far off from the S65AMG but to me they feel very different the way they deliver the power. I would like to see which one is faster but that means I have to find someone I can trust to drive one of the cars and Iā€™ll be honest, I donā€™t trust anyone with my cars :D

I love the look of the prefacelift car but the facelift car looks a bit better [ in my eyes ]. On the prefacelift, the two parts I dislike is the headlamps and the rear lights. I have fitted facelift rear lights to the S65AMG which has improved the rear end imo.

Iā€™m sorry Iā€™ve rambled on for so long šŸ˜

I'll just post some pic's now............... well, a lot of pic's :D
This pic's were taken after the car had it's first wash and parked up next to it's big brother.
Completely standard

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom