• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

. After many customers' complaints and a lot of head scratching at the Hyundai design centre, they decided to bypass the issue by fitting a rear-facing camera on the roof with a display screen inside the rearview mirror.... :doh:
Arguably this is the new paradigm, Nothing to do with avoiding rear wipers, just a belief that mirrors should be superseded by cameras and, potentially, recording.

"Plenty of fish in the sea," as they say.

I'm told that one can't judge just by photo and description, one needs to actually look at it, drive it, and form one's own judgement as to whether this is something that you want to spend the next 3-4 years with.

That said. SAIC, the owners of MG are a substantial Chinese organisation and China has already overtaken Tesla et al. when it comes to EV production.

But why not?

Arguably this is the new paradigm, Nothing to do with avoiding rear wipers, just a belief that mirrors should be superseded by cameras and, potentially, recording.
I understand the door mirrors being replaced with cameras are to help reduce drag for these EV’s but I think it’s a step too far.

I understand the door mirrors being replaced with cameras are to help reduce drag for these EV’s but I think it’s a step too far.

Hyundai do have the Digital Side Mirrors (DSM) option and also the optional recording module (similar to Tesla's Sentry Mode) though they are not yet available in all markets, but this one is simply an unfortunate oversight.

Hyundai confirmed that the removal of the rear wiper was done for aesthetic reasons. My early 2021 car doesn't have a rear wiper or a camera, the camera was only introduced in MY 2023 following many customers complaints, and sadly Hyundai don't offer a retrofit option. My car is on a lease (so not really 'my' car) and so I can't modify it anyway...

Agreed and amen. Unnecessary complexity.

Hyundai do have the Digital Side Mirrors (DSM) option and also the optional recording module (similar to Tesla's Sentry Mode) though they are not yet available in all markets, but this one is simply an unfortunate oversight.

Hyundai confirmed that the removal of the rear wiper was done for aesthetic reasons. My early 2021 car doesn't have a rear wiper or a camera, the camera was only introduced in MY 2023 following many customers complaints, and sadly Hyundai don't offer a retrofit option. My car is on a lease (so not really 'my' car) and so I can't modify it anyway...
Of course those of us who use RainX and wash our windows most weeks don't recognise the dirty rear windscreen "problem."

(I don't get out much)

Mine is Korean 😎

They're on our side, right? 🤔
My choir master got his limp from his time in Korea.... but all things must pass.

I would not but any car that's subsidising the Chinese government out of principle. But to be honest no matter where those MGs are built I would not get one. I had a look around a few at out brand new MG (which now stands for Modern Gentleman would you believe...another reason not to buy!) dealership in Bognor..the interior build quality is awful...as in 80s Skoda, rock hard brittle plastic, uneven gaps, awful. Just no....!

I would not but any car that's subsidising the Chinese government out of principle...

And yet you're using an electronic device to post on the Internet... the Chinese will be getting their pound of flesh anyway at various points along this process.

...But to be honest no matter where those MGs are built I would not get one. I had a look around a few at out brand new MG (which now stands for Modern Gentleman would you believe...another reason not to buy!) dealership in Bognor..the interior build quality is awful...as in 80s Skoda, rock hard brittle plastic, uneven gaps, awful. Just no....!

I can't comment on that because I've not inspected one up close, only seen them on the road here and there.

What’s the big repair on the 207, if I may ask?
Air con evaporator, went for re-gas last week, couldn't do it, said it was the evaporator, which is a dash out job, apparently, said your looking at a 4 figure repair. So this on top of last year's 4 figure repair (oil cooler seals) and other bits and bobs, makes me think Mmm is it possibly time for a change. 🙄🙁👎

I've not idea who Rory is or was! Was that someone else who was not allowed a point of view unless or matched the views of the MBClub old timers? Because or does seem that others have far more fixed ideas and or dislike certain car types and marque and put their points across just as forcefully.....but they don't get the stick for it that I do.
I'll try and stick to thread that only want facts rather than opinions.....just to keep the collective happy!
Funny how I don't have this issue on other forums!

Design integrity, build quality, reliability?

But we’ve already chosen NOT to buy Toyota or Honda.

And yet you're using an electronic device to post on the Internet... the Chinese will be getting their pound of flesh anyway at various points along this process.
Very true....I was mainly referring to Chinese brand cars.....but realise that even Mercedes and BMW have a pretty high Chinese parts content these days

You’ve seen the light… welcome to filling up whilst you sleep for £3… 😅
It's a bit more that that....unless you have really cheap electric. When the cost of electricity was at it peak price a few months back it was costing my neighbour more to run his EV 308 Pug than his wife's otherwise identical (even down to the same bright blue!) diesel version. There's still not much difference.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom