• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

It's a bit more that that....unless you have really cheap electric. When the cost of electricity was at it peak price a few months back it was costing my neighbour more to run his EV 308 Pug than his wife's otherwise identical (even down to the same bright blue!) diesel version. There's still not much difference.

That can't be right. I have an EV and an ICE car and even at the peak of electricity prices the EV was considerably cheaper to run.

If your neighbour has a particularly poor EV, a particularly frugal ICE cars, a very poor electricity tariff, and drives mainly a fully laden car at 70mph on motorways and during the winter months then I'd give it a doubtful 'maybe'.

But in any other circumstances it's just not possible.

Air con evaporator, went for re-gas last week, couldn't do it, said it was the evaporator, which is a dash out job, apparently, said your looking at a 4 figure repair. So this on top of last year's 4 figure repair (oil cooler seals) and other bits and bobs, makes me think Mmm is it possibly time for a change. 🙄🙁👎
I’d run that by an MB indie first!

At least then you can sell it with working air con…

@MrGreedy that isn’t what you did to yours, was it?

That can't be right. I have an EV and an ICE car and even at the peak of electricity prices the EV was considerably cheaper to run.

If your neighbour has a particularly poor EV, a particularly frugal ICE cars, a very poor electricity tariff, and drives mainly a fully laden car at 70mph on motorways and during the winter months then I'd give it a doubtful 'maybe'.

But in any other circumstances it's just not possible.
But three quid you quote at a UK average of 34p per kwh hour (Source- Energy Saving Trust) will only get you 8kwh of power....you wont get far on that. So with an efficiency rating of what? say 3 miles per kWh that 3 pound will get you about 24 miles! I can get further than that on £3 worth of diesel on a motorway trip....and only a little less on my commute.

But three quid you quote at a UK average of 34p per kwh hour (Source- Energy Saving Trust) will only get you 8kwh of power....you wont get far on that. So with an efficiency rating of what? say 3 miles per kWh that 3 pound will get you about 24 miles! I can get further than that on £3 worth of diesel on a motorway trip....and only a little less on my commute.
Almost all EV owners with a home charger have an overnight charging tarrif, 6 hours at 7.5p/kWH on mine… 42kWh for £3.15 ish….

Why would you be on a standard tariff if you own an EV?

It's a bit more that that....unless you have really cheap electric. When the cost of electricity was at it peak price a few months back it was costing my neighbour more to run his EV 308 Pug than his wife's otherwise identical (even down to the same bright blue!) diesel version. There's still not much difference.
It’s not, it’s literally £3.15 for 42kWh with an EV tarrif…. (7.5p/kWH on a 7kW charger for 6 hours a night)

I don't have a home charger, I only charge the car using public chargers (Ubitricity lampposts).

At the height of the energy price crisis, I was being charged 45p per kWh (now gone down to 37p). My car averages 4 m/kWh (5-6 driving in the city, 2-3 on motorways on a cold day). That's around 11p per mile at the peak.

My ICE car (Suzuki 1.6L) does 300 miles on a full tank, which is 47L, about 10 Gallon. At 30mpg, that's around £60 worth of fuel, or 20p per mile.

If both cars are driven in winter at motorway speeds, then their cost-per-mile might come close to each other, because the EV's consumption will become worse while the ICE car's mpg will improve.

BUT: My calculation is based on the price of electricity at the charger in front of my house. On one hand, if you have a home charger, you'll pay significantly less than that (plus you'll benefit from the energy price cap), but on the other hand, if you use public ultra-fast chargers (350kW) you'll likely pay double what I paid.

My point is that there could be a particular set of circumstances where the energy cost for an EV per mile is the same or higher than that of a comparable ICE car, but it will be a unique and fairly rare set of circumstances. For example, if your neighbour regularly used his EV for long motorway journeys on cold days and charged it using fast chargers in motorway services. But in the vast majority of cases, the cost of the energy required to propel an EV will be significantly lower than that of an ICE car (in great part due to the difference in taxation/duty). For this reason, I would take your neighbour's story that "When the cost of electricity was at it peak price a few months back it was costing my neighbour more to run his EV 308 Pug than his wife's otherwise identical (even down to the same bright blue!) diesel version" with a pinch of salt.

EDIT: Just saw what clk320x is paying for his electricity... 😭

Nah, no way.

Your neighbour have had to be only using premium recharging at 0.85 a kWh. Only company car users on a tax break would be so daft as to be doing that.

Normal EV usage averages out at 95% domestic charging (events), and 5% external commercial chargers. (Not Kwh but charging occasions)

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 13.02.21.png

Electricity will always be cheaper than petrol or diesel, under our current paradigm

We tax the bejazus out of petrol and diesel, while domestic electricity is barely touched (5%) and even commercial chargers are only taxed at 20% VAT.

Given that we import our oil, the Economy has a strong incentive to limit payments to Johnny Foreigner and to encourage use of domestically produced electricity, by whatever means.

Nah, no way.

Your neighbour have had to be only using premium recharging at 0.85 a kWh. Only company car users on a tax break would be so daft as to be doing that.

Normal EV usage averages out at 95% domestic charging (events), and 5% external commercial chargers. (Not Kwh but charging occasions)

View attachment 144669
Shell Recharge is also a rip off - some rapids are around 50p per kWh.

@SmartAmg if you do decide to go EV - you’re always welcome to PM me and I’ll help you sort your electric tariff etc.. that goes for anyone here. 👍

Nah, no way.

View attachment 144669

The absolute worst case scenario for a modern EV is energy consumption of 2 m/kWh, which, at the highest possible electricity price, is 42p per mile, equal to 30mpg. And this is the absolute worst-case scenario.

There's just no way an EV does not cost significantly less to run than an ICE car, other than in very particular and rare circumstances.

There's just no way an EV does not cost significantly less to run than an ICE car, other than in very particular and rare circumstances.
'to fuel"

Sadly, EV's are still broadly about 37% more expensive to buy than their ICE equivalents, their build quality is contentious, and their expected depreciation is "probably" going to be steep as innovation swiftly moves the standards.

Shell Recharge is also a rip off - some rapids are around 50p per kWh.
Understood, I was explaining how that neighbour "could" have been paying a lot to fuel his EV. Some people do: because their company's picking up the bill, subsidised by the taxman.

Understood, I was explaining how that neighbour "could" have been paying a lot to fuel his EV. Some people do: because their company's picking up the bill, subsidised by the taxman.
Yeah fair enough, I think Shell are hoping they can maintain their premium image like they have done with V-Power to demand higher prices… unfortunately I don’t see it working for them with electric :D

'to fuel"

Sadly, EV's are still broadly about 37% more expensive to buy than their ICE equivalents, their build quality is contentious, and their expected depreciation is "probably" going to be steep as innovation swiftly moves the standards.
True, but EVs also have a lot less maintenance; for example there is zero routine servicing on my Tesla, brakes never really need replacing etc…

Hi , I overheard a very interest conversation last week regarding the life expectancy of EV passenger cars.

A potential customer for an EV car asked the salesperson how long will the cars last , availability of electronic components, supply line issues and the sales person could not answer.

Customer suggest to sales person the useful life of an EV could be as little as five years !!

EV warriors won't agree with the time span re the useful life of the EV but as the say with financial products past performance does not mean now well EV in the future will last.

True, but EVs also have a lot less maintenance; for example there is zero routine servicing on my Tesla, brakes never really need replacing etc…
We've already seen Teslas being written off very early for minor bodywork and parts issues, and Tesla insurance premia are already bearing those scars. There are many horror stories around the glass roofs of Teslas needing to be replaced for stone or fitment reasons. As for BYD, MG et al we simply don't know - yet - how their maintenance will work out. There are embarrassing stories of significant bodywork rust in year one. For some stupid reason things like the 12v batteries on the E-Niro seem to need to be replaced in just three years.

Tesla EVs, Even Mildly Damaged, Are Being Written Off by Insurance Companies

Insight: Scratched EV battery? Your insurer may have to junk the whole car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom