Pressure washing - daft questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On re-reading, that should have been 'nice fan jet'.

Not whatever a 'can jet' is!?

On re-reading, that should have been 'nice fan jet'.

Not whatever a 'can jet' is!?

It did take me a couple of minutes to translate ;)

Thanks for the help!

Anyone prepared to stick their neck out on the how-close-is-too-close question.....? ;)

I'd probably say 5-6" is closes (my Mrs may argue I mean 3" but ignore her haha).

It sill depend on the lance you're using, I assume it's a similar lance to the one on my Karcher. I twist it round to the highest pressure position on the nozzle but don't realistically go closer than that. If there's a stubborn bit of dirt, don't be tempted to move the jet closer and closer to get rid, save that for the wash mitt. :)

A Karcher K2 isn’t powerful enough to cause damage IMO unless your paint is already damaged.

If you’ve got lacquer peel then it’ll blast it off - but if the paints fine then I doubt any issues will arise.

A Karcher K2 isn’t powerful enough to cause damage IMO unless your paint is already damaged.

If you’ve got lacquer peel then it’ll blast it off - but if the paints fine then I doubt any issues will arise.

I got 2 nozzles with mine , 1 has i think 3 settings , the other lance is the naughty one with the swirling ball bearing tip. I normally have the multi nozzle set to medium, when I use the snow foam bottles theres hardly any pressure as its only an application of foam to grab minute particles , its not meant to give a clean appearance afterwards . I gave up on snowfoam and stick with a blast from the pressure wash followed by an old fashioned bucket of warm water ,sponge , and wash n wax . Dried after with a chamois, then polished with poorboys black hole ,finally sealed with natty wax .

I think that surfex is so powerful that it spreads and is hard to remove. It streaks when it dries too.

I have recently been using angel wax fast foam and it is very good. However, it does advise on the bottle to pre-cleanse with their cleanliness prewash. A little annoying as I actually paid a visit to their factory shop in Renfrew and they didn't mention anything to me!

For now, don’t get closer than 50cm but when you’re more confident then you can get a little closer.

Don’t ever get tempted to get closer to cut through the dirt using the power of the jet - best use products to remove the dirt.

Finally, steer well clear of headlights!

I've never held my pressure washer closer than about 30 meters to my car .Much as I like cleaning my car the last thing I'd use is a pressure washer,

I'd probably say 5-6" is closes (my Mrs may argue I mean 3" but ignore her haha).

It sill depend on the lance you're using, I assume it's a similar lance to the one on my Karcher. I twist it round to the highest pressure position on the nozzle but don't realistically go closer than that. If there's a stubborn bit of dirt, don't be tempted to move the jet closer and closer to get rid, save that for the wash mitt. :)
:D

I was tempted and did do that, but will reconsider!

Interesting, thanks!

BobbyDazzler, Michael, Scooby Doo, Onefor the road - thanks for all the advice. Great knowledge and willingness to share on this forum - most appreciated :thumb:

Oh I see... I have a nozzle that is adjustable. It's like riding a superbike, it only goes as fast as one dares open the throttle...
I did mean metres, because like being on a superbike, you sometimes get carried away.

I managed to strip the lacquer off the black plastic roof trims on my W204 a year or so back, so caution is advised.

Interesting to see in this thread there are two apparently contradictory comments about Surfex HD, one saying it can be difficult to remove.

I’ve recently used it to clean the underside of the JZR’s engine, so I know it works fine, and I’m considering using it as a pre-wash, (on both body and wheels) of my daily driver.

Good idea, or bad idea?

Thanks

Good idea, or bad idea?
My opinion is that it would take quite a bit of experimentation to dilute it enough so that it is effective but not to clingy. It is effective from 1% dilution! A citrus pre wash is a better bet as surfex is designed for grease and oil, predominantly. If you want to decontaminate, then Korrosol is a great one to use on bodywork and as it turns purple, you can see where it works.

I’ve used a power washer for 30 plus years all Karcher models and never had any problem with “close” washing. I give the underside (wheel arches) a thorough clean then continue onto the paintwork.
After a hand wash with warm water and car wash soap I then give them a thorough rinse.
If paint comes away when using a power washer then their was a problem with the paint in the first place. Lacquer, if properly applied will not peel off but unfortunately some body shops don’t carry out this application properly.
I power washed my sister in laws car the other day and blasted all the green gunge which had found its way into all the body trim seams and lights. I also gave the alloy wheels the full treatment. She called me when she got home to say her car looked like new and to say thanks.

I did try using a snow foam lance but got fed up changing it over from the standard lance. I personally don’t see any great advantage to using a bucket and micro fibre mitt. The secret is keeping a good polish on the car and the dirt will wash away much easier.

I’m sure many will disagree with my methods but after 30 years I must be doing something right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom