Problem with remote locking - CL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TonyWillis

Car
mERCEDES cl500 2004
Help please!
have a problem that seems to have 3 mercedes indies scratching their heads. I'm sure that some of the brains in the club will know what the solution is so here goes:
Following a flat car battery and recharge, the remote central locking wouldn't operate. if the door is opened with the mechanical key to get in, put a key in the ignition and switch on and both keys work fine - start the car no problem, central locking works using either the dashboard buttons or the buttons on both keys everything works perfectly. take the key out of the EIS and doors and boot lock/unlock normally with both keys working for about 20 seconds then nothing! Put the key back in the ignition and turn on - both keys work remotely again. On key is brand new from mercedes for £240 and both have been tested.
It's as if the EIS goes to sleep about 20 seconds after the key is taken out - during that time they both work remotely with no problem.
Has anyone any ideas because I'm getting desperate now and hate to take it to main dealer as they say that the keys are working and are 95% sure that it is the EIS unit and that will be around £900 to put a new one in - Ugg!!
Thanks
Tony 07734882082

Disconnect the battery. Leave it be for a while and then reconnect. You'd be surprised what effect this can have on a W215.

The siren has been disconnected but not sure if it was ever working. When I unlock the door manually the indicators flash until I insert the key in the ignition though.The last garage tried it with a spare siren and it worked fine. Would the siren being disconnected or not working stop the remote door locking working?
Thanks
Tony

thanks BlackC55.
I'm sure you are probably right that it is the EIS - I just havent seen this door remote problem listed as an EIS fault. Usually it seems to be that the key won't turn or start the car. Is it worth sending the EIS for repair or is it best to replace?
What services do you do down at Horndean and if I bring the car to you is it a day job?

Unlocking the door with a mechanical key blade wouldn’t have any effect on the cars electric , however, opening the door of a car that was previously locked with a remote would, as the alarm would be armed, the fact the indicators flash, and only stop flashing when you insert the key into the ignition implies that you have just triggered an alarm that doesn’t have a working siren, you sure the alarm siren is indeed disconnected.

Dec

Last edited:
Dec - yes the alarm is definitely disconnected but wasn't working anyway. The garage disconnected it so there was no chance of it going off in the night!

thanks BlackC55.
I'm sure you are probably right that it is the EIS - I just havent seen this door remote problem listed as an EIS fault. Usually it seems to be that the key won't turn or start the car. Is it worth sending the EIS for repair or is it best to replace?
What services do you do down at Horndean and if I bring the car to you is it a day job?

Can you give us a call? 02392570123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom