Project Idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Take a dirt cheap rotten to the core facelift W210 E270 CDI or E320 CDI for £700ish

Remove the engine & sell the remaining parts to make most (if not all) the money back

Place in a late 90s/early 00s G-Wagon

Thoughts?

W210s can be picked up for less than it costs me to fit 2x rear tyres now and the only thing that puts me off some of the G's for sale are the engines.

Will say a 230/300 petrol G-Wagen gearbox mate to the CDi engine and will there be clearance issues in the engine bay? Haven't a clue myself.

Engine is canbus controlled. You need a standalone ECU to make it work. Is the bell housing bolt pattern the same as the G gearbox?

It's fairly easy with a 300TD from the earlier car and they can be hoiked up to the same power output as the Cdi with an uprated IP and bigger turbo.

The 270cdi swap has been done, not seen a 320cdi conversion yet. Though I have seen one fitted to a 190e.

Superb engines, as said, the electronic are the kicker.

Plus the market for s/h 210 parts is all but dead.
I've broken one and tried..

Take a dirt cheap rotten to the core facelift W210 E270 CDI or E320 CDI for £700ish

Remove the engine & sell the remaining parts to make most (if not all) the money back

Once you've removed the engine from a rotten W210 there won't be much left to sell and what can be sold won't be worth much as supply of used W210 parts now outstrips demand.

The first thing to consider with an engine transplant is transmission. Torque capacity and crucially, suitable ratios. Ratios that are spot on imply an engine with similar characteristics to the original - which begs the question, why change?

The first thing to consider with an engine transplant is transmission. Torque capacity and crucially, suitable ratios. Ratios that are spot on imply an engine with similar characteristics to the original - which begs the question, why change?

Wonder why people do engine transplants all the time...

I have been considering doing the same thing since I spotted a LWB 280GE close to me.

Engine is canbus controlled. You need a standalone ECU to make it work. Is the bell housing bolt pattern the same as the G gearbox?

It's fairly easy with a 300TD from the earlier car and they can be hoiked up to the same power output as the Cdi with an uprated IP and bigger turbo.

Standalone Bosch Motorsport ECU, I believe. Very expensive.

Was looking at this idea a few months back. Post #16 here purports to show an OM613 running in a G.
OM 613 3.2 CDI swap into 80FZJ | IH8MUD Forum

The point is - change the engine and the transmission.

The point is it's not always necessary to change the transmission also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom