Pulled over by police doing 60mph in 30mph!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
Well being a typical friday night i was on my way home in the early hours of the morning. I had 6 people in my S600 as i was the designated driver and everyone else was over the limit so had to squeeze an extra person in the back. Anyway was making my way through the back streets of Hendon to drop 2 mates home. Came to a T junction and rather hastily pulled out to make a left turn. There was a car coming from the right pretty close so i put my foot down so i didn't force the car to brake. Being an S600 it gathered speed at blistering pace. The headlights of the car behind were becoming more distant... Anyway made 2 more turns and the next thing i knew were flasing blue lights behind me. At this stage i thought it would be a routine stop as i didn't realise this was the same car i pulled in front off!
Anyway i got out of the car and asked by them what speed i was doing back on that road. I thought sh*t!! I said i wasn't sure, but i did put my put down as i didn't want to inconvenience them when i pulled out. Told them i didn't see there car till the last minute as it was a built up road and there were cars parked on both sides. They informed me that i was doing speed in excess of 60mph. The speed limit was 30mph.
I thought i'm 100% losing my license. Then they asked whether i was aware of the law that only 5 passengers were allowed in the car... Basically i pleaded with them explaining the situatuion that everyone else was over the alcohol limit and no one was in a fit state to drive and they didn't have any money for a cab!
Anyway they decided to give me a verbal warning and told me to keep my speed down in a residential area and keep to 5 people in the car and for everyone to wear there seatbelts. Told me that i can go and that they won't take things further! They didn't ask my name, car details or for my license!
Basically got away with a potential license losing situation!! :bannana:
My heart's still missing a beat though.

I agree :bannana: !!!
Couldn't believe how lucky i was!

:D good to see the plod being reasonable and sensible :D

I think they realised the only reason i put my foot down was because i pulled out in front of them without seeing them and then tried to clear them by flooring it. Still can't believe they let me off even though i had 6 passengers in the car! But they were top blokes! They did say that if i denied going over the speed limit they would have booked me but because i was truthful they let me off! Phew! Maybe telling the truth isn't a bad idea...... :D

always a good idea to admit it, while at the same time acting very contrite. It has worked for me, being caught at 110 mph on the M25, and 66mph in a 30 mph zone

KLP 92 said:
Maybe telling the truth isn't a bad idea...... :D

Damm that was a lucky escape,Glad to hear theres nothing more to come of it! :D

Very lucky, I was pulled up and breath tested at 1.05 am, because I was not over I was done for speeding, 42 in a 30, you were lucky,.............. I got 3 points !

You were indeed very lucky! In a previous life - this antic cost the license!!(not mine) But then you could call it divine intervention as he decided he be a nice yeah right, bloke and take home two girls he and four friends had taken under their wings. So picture if you will, 5 blokes, two girls in a mini 850!! nuff said :rolleyes:

KLP 92 said:
Anyway they decided to give me a verbal warning and told me to keep my speed down in a residential area and keep to 5 people in the car and for everyone to wear there seatbelts. Told me that i can go and that they won't take things further! They didn't ask my name, car details or for my license!
Basically got away with a potential license losing situation!! :bannana:
My heart's still missing a beat though.

Very Very Lucky. But increases your faith in fair play by the Police doesn't it. :cool: :cool:

Andy W said:
Very lucky, I was pulled up and breath tested at 1.05 am, because I was not over I was done for speeding, 42 in a 30, you were lucky,.............. I got 3 points !

Sorry to hear about that....

This begs the question if they were actually bothered about you speeding or just wanted to shove that tube in your mouth and had to do you for something !!

North london. Near Brent Cross.

KLP 92 said:
North london. Near Brent Cross.
NW4 your talking about where I lived until 2 years ago now i'm in NW9 now. What road were you doing 60? Hendon way Edgwear to Hendon is my favourite run or north circular Hendon to Hanger lane, can get up to a fair speed on both of them! :devil:

It was one of the residential streets off Hendon Way. Can't remeber what its called.

About 10 years ago, I was pulled over by an unmarked Police Rover 800 (what horrible cars) with video recording equipment on the A406 right near Brent Cross. They sat me in the 800's passenger seat, and showed me an instant replay of my undertaking manouvre -- then told me to be more careful next time, and that was it. They were showing off their new toy, I think!

mercedes lover said:
NW4 your talking about where I lived until 2 years ago now i'm in NW9 now. What road were you doing 60? Hendon way Edgwear to Hendon is my favourite run or north circular Hendon to Hanger lane, can get up to a fair speed on both of them! :devil:

C240Sport97 said:
always a good idea to admit it, while at the same time acting very contrite. It has worked for me, being caught at 110 mph on the M25, and 66mph in a 30 mph zone

I can confirm that honesty is a good policy. Let the bobby know you realise you were in the wrong and are sorry. Try to crack on that you weren't doing anything wrong and chances are he'll 'nail your hat on'.
Usually works with me anyhow ;)

Plodd said:
I can confirm that honesty is a good policy. Let the bobby know you realise you were in the wrong and are sorry. Try to crack on that you weren't doing anything wrong and chances are he'll 'nail your hat on'.
Usually works with me anyhow ;)
So it is true that you should own up, but then you admit your guilty so if the officer does do you your definitly not get off. What about excuses e.g. i'm sorry officer was thinking about work because i'm going through a stressful time and I did'n't realise I was doing 110mph down the M1 ans I promise I wont do it again!

Is it also true when your self employed and you can not work without your own transport they take that in to account. Say i'm a carpenter cant do with out my van for work, work on my own, would they take that into account before banning me for 2 months leaving me with no money to pay the bills?

mercedes lover said:
Is it also true when your self employed and you can not work without your own transport they take that in to account. Say i'm a carpenter cant do with out my van for work, work on my own, would they take that into account before banning me for 2 months leaving me with no money to pay the bills?

Only if you have dependents... if you're single, they dont care if you loose your job or your house come to that.

The idea is to get plod not to take it any further so you don't end up in Court ...

Saying sorry and acting contrite does not automatically mean you're admitting guilt .. in any event, if it does get to Court, you will be stuffed anyway because plod will be able to say he saw x reading on the machine ... and you have no real answer, apart from the machine was faulty, plod's eyesight was out -- both of which will be denied by plod on the basis that the machines are regularly tested for accuracy as is plod's laser eyesight :D

mercedes lover said:
So it is true that you should own up, but then you admit your guilty so if the officer does do you your definitly not get off. What about excuses e.g. i'm sorry officer was thinking about work because i'm going through a stressful time and I did'n't realise I was doing 110mph down the M1 ans I promise I wont do it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom