R231 sl 400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have turned off Lane Keeping Assist as its constant vibrating when I change lanes without indicating (when there is not much point when little/no traffic around or traffic too far away to be affected) was annoying me. At first, I thought it a good safety aid as it forced me not to behave like an Audi/BMW driver – but the nannying got to me.

This is the first car I have ever had with intelligent lights; a feature which is really convenient and which makes driving at night so much easier. Only issue is when you pull out to overtake, you can’t switch on high beam .. you have to turn the light switch from Auto to headlights.

Why not leave the lane keeping assist on and use your indicators? Seems counter intuitive to disable a safety system for the sake of sometimes not using the indicator.

Do you have the full ILS or the highbeam assist?

You can pull the stalk right back (toward the steering wheel) to get highbeam and save yourself fiddling with the light switch while trying to overtake. However, I've never found the need to manually adjust my lights when overtaking, it (ILS) automatically switches to high beam and focusses the lights so that the other driver is not dazzled.

Enjoy the car.

Hyacinth Red is a fantastic colour on these and the styling is fantastic. Mrs Bolide approves.

What is the 'Magic Sky' option?

instead of a shade for the panoramic roof, you have a button which removes the dark tint to make the glass nearly clear .. very neat trick

Why not leave the lane keeping assist on and use your indicators? Seems counter intuitive to disable a safety system for the sake of sometimes not using the indicator.

Do you have the full ILS or the highbeam assist?

You can pull the stalk right back (toward the steering wheel) to get highbeam and save yourself fiddling with the light switch while trying to overtake. However, I've never found the need to manually adjust my lights when overtaking, it (ILS) automatically switches to high beam and focusses the lights so that the other driver is not dazzled.

Enjoy the car.

lane keep assist has dynamic setting which means that it only vibrates the steering if you are veering off course unintentionally ..if I change lane without indicating, it no longer vibrates

all SLs have ILS. must try the pull back suggestion

your SL has the more effective LED ILS, mine is bi-xenon and not as clever

Last edited:
Are you certain? I'm not, as it's an oil within wing mirrors (possibly rvm?) that makes it auto-dimming.

No, not certain, but I would expect modern cars to be using electrochromic glass by now.

The MAGIC SKY CONTROL feature uses patented SPD-SmartGlass technology developed by Research Frontiers to turn the roof transparent by electrically aligning tiny particles in a thin film within the glass. With the touch of a button, drivers and passengers can instantly change the tint of their roof to help keep out harsh sunlight and heat, and create an open-air feeling even when the sunroof is closed. Glass or plastic using Research Frontiers' patented SPD-SmartGlass technology effectively blocks UV and infrared rays in either mode, helping keep the cabin cooler, and protecting passengers and interiors. These benefits become even more important when a car uses large surface areas of glass, especially in warm climates.

SPD-Smart technology has proven itself in many aspects, from durability and performance, to sales. MAGIC SKY CONTROL is now in use on tens of thousands of SL's, SLC's, Mercedes-Maybach and S-Class models around the world. Before putting cars into serial production, Mercedes-Benz put the MAGIC SKY CONTROL roof using SPD-SmartGlass technology through rigorous durability and performance testing in some of the most extreme conditions on Earth. This included testing in the arctic cold of Scandinavia (with temperatures below -22ºF/-30ºC) and the blistering desert heat of Death Valley, California (with temperatures exceeding 122ºF/50ºC). MAGIC SKY CONTROL blocks over 99% of harmful UV radiation and substantially reduces heat inside the vehicle. Test data published by Mercedes-Benz shows the ability of the roof to reduce sun exposure to 1/20th of direct exposure levels (from over 1,000 watts/square meter to less than 50 watts/square meter). When compared to conventional automotive glass, Mercedes-Benz reported that the use of SPD-SmartGlass significantly reduces the temperature inside the vehicle by up to 18ºF/10ºC. This increases passenger comfort and reduces air conditioning loads, thereby saving fuel and reducing CO2 emissions.

The MAGIC SKY CONTROL feature uses patented SPD-SmartGlass technology developed by Research Frontiers to turn the roof transparent by electrically aligning tiny particles in a thin film within the glass. With the touch of a button, drivers and passengers can instantly change the tint of their roof to help keep out harsh sunlight and heat, and create an open-air feeling even when the sunroof is closed. Glass or plastic using Research Frontiers' patented SPD-SmartGlass technology effectively blocks UV and infrared rays in either mode, helping keep the cabin cooler, and protecting passengers and interiors. These benefits become even more important when a car uses large surface areas of glass, especially in warm climates.

SPD-Smart technology has proven itself in many aspects, from durability and performance, to sales. MAGIC SKY CONTROL is now in use on tens of thousands of SL's, SLC's, Mercedes-Maybach and S-Class models around the world. Before putting cars into serial production, Mercedes-Benz put the MAGIC SKY CONTROL roof using SPD-SmartGlass technology through rigorous durability and performance testing in some of the most extreme conditions on Earth. This included testing in the arctic cold of Scandinavia (with temperatures below -22ºF/-30ºC) and the blistering desert heat of Death Valley, California (with temperatures exceeding 122ºF/50ºC). MAGIC SKY CONTROL blocks over 99% of harmful UV radiation and substantially reduces heat inside the vehicle. Test data published by Mercedes-Benz shows the ability of the roof to reduce sun exposure to 1/20th of direct exposure levels (from over 1,000 watts/square meter to less than 50 watts/square meter). When compared to conventional automotive glass, Mercedes-Benz reported that the use of SPD-SmartGlass significantly reduces the temperature inside the vehicle by up to 18ºF/10ºC. This increases passenger comfort and reduces air conditioning loads, thereby saving fuel and reducing CO2 emissions.

I opted to not have the magic sky control & don't regret my decision. I opened the partition to expose the glass on the day I collected my car and have not moved it since. Like my ambient lighting - tried the available colours (5?) in the 1st month and have not changed it since however, IIRC it was a pretty cheap option.

What I do regret is that when I ordered the active seats, the brochure implied that this option included the comfort ventilation (it was a mistake in the brochure and I was living in the middle east when I ordered the car), I didn't check properly so don't have the ventilated seats. However, I only miss them on hot days when I'm wearing shorts.....but I'd still like to have them.

I wouldn’t pay for magic sky control either ..

but I used it yesterday as it was getting too bright in the car

One of our female friends in her late 60's was hankering after another SLK after the lease was up on her C class in February. She finally settled on a 2 year old SL400 , it is a metallic blue and looks lovely. Unfortunately due to the lockdown in Wales I have not yet experienced a trip in it but am looking forwards to it. As I cannot afford one I will just have to continue to get my kicks out of my SLK.
A great place to get kicks it is too 👍🏻

Hmmm that sounded a bit Yoda!

lovely colour combination. Brightened my day up after reading in the paper yesterday that grey is the most popular colour for new car buyers for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom