Rare SL60, but why so cheap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its irrelevant now

Apparently its been "sold" to AMGman2007 after I questioned its legality

makes me very glad I didnt buy it TBH

I think in hindsight it's probably for the best.

I wonder if the guy who bought it actually viewed it before hand?
Maybe it will be re-listed once he has? :devil:
Very cheap car but too many question marks remained. I think you did the right thing by not buying it.

One in Autotrader for sale P -reg for £8,995 ono

But it's LHD, pre-facelift and running on slicks :crazy:

I wonder if the guy who bought it actually viewed it before hand?

TBH I think he did - I reckon he just looked out the front window of his house ;)

AMGman2007 has private feedback, the house with the SL60 had a couple of AMGs outside, the car was auctioned in his mates name so it was easy for someone to "buy" it just to end the auction

The guy himself was a really nice bloke, and its hard to imagine him being really shady. It is distinctly possible that he bought the car in its current confused state - however the bit that niggles is that he has so many AMGs and cant see that this one isnt right.
If it were my car and its integrity had been questioned I think I would pull it from Ebay too...............

Mark

The simplest way to ascertain whether the car is a genuine SL60 or not is to simply look at the ignition EZL which sits on the engine firewall behind the passenger headlight.

It will be marked HWA 124 *** ****. That module NLA from MB and costs approx 1.8k.

Another confirmation can be found in the engine management box which houses all the modules in the engine bay....there will be the LH module there, again that is coded HWA 124 *** ****. That module costs 3.3k from MB.

Whilst someone can cheaply get an air filter housing, the above two modules cost 5k in total and if an SL60 ain't got 'em, then it is NOT an sl60.

talbir

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That was the info I needed last night :D

I can think of an even simpler way.......drive it. You will know within 2 secs which engine is under the bonnet :D

I can think of an even simpler way.......drive it. You will know within 2 secs which engine is under the bonnet :D

You would - I would just have a 200hp 3.0 12v as comparison. Any V8 is goign to be quick after that.

5.0 32v, v 6.0 32v I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference withing the confines of Southend on Sea!
Talbirs method is a lot simpler and probably more sympathetic to my driving licence.

yes, you could tell the difference between a 5.0 M119 and a 6.0 M119....but only if both engines are equally optimal or equally bad.

In this case the SL60 engine may not be running right, so it could feel slow relative to an optimal 5.0 m119 engined car .....but ascertaining that it is the 6.0 m119 lump from 2 minutes of finding those modules, let's one know that it is a genuine SL60 albeit one that needs some attention.

I should have bought this car and put the lump in my silver E500 !

Shame i missed this.

talbir

Exhaust note can make a car 'feel' quicker too ... remember that "SL60" had an odd-looking AMG rear box with square pipes. AFAIK the 129 AMG back box should have oval pipes, mine certainly does.

Well here's another way of telling the difference in under 2 secs. Just start up and hear the the superchargers go......:D

You know nothing. The SL60 is a twin cam V12 with quad turbos.:D

5.0 32v, v 6.0 32v I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference withing the confines of Southend on Sea!

Believe me you would...:eek: ....the 60 is soooo completely different from the 500, you have to be very careful with your foot...:devil: ...by comparison the 500 is positively sluggish..;) :D

I though oval pipes were discontinued on SL models in 93 ?

The e60 back boxes had these swuare pipes too.

talbir

I though oval pipes were discontinued on SL models in 93 ?

AFAIK all 129s had the normal plain steel downward-pointing tailpipes as standard, even the SL60. A back box with chrome AMG tips was a (very expensive) extra.

In general they surely changed from square to oval pipes rather than the other way round. All the modern AMGs have oval tips, all the old skool ones I've seen are squared?

That one went right over my head......:confused:

It doesn't have a supercharger either.

The SL60 came with a normal exhaust but as an extra (code 777) you could have the AMG one with round tips.
MB%2010.jpg

Its irrelevant now

Apparently its been "sold" to AMGman2007 after I questioned its legality
makes me very glad I didnt buy it TBH
In a way I am relieved but I am also disappointed as you really wanted that car. I think Talibar's point would have been either the deal breaker or deal maker. I would love to see some pictures of these items and what a great post.

Regards
John

You know nothing. The SL60 is a twin cam V12 with quad turbos.:D

Can't work this out...are you saying that the SL60AMG is a V12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom