Rare SL60, but why so cheap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't work this out...are you saying that the SL60AMG is a V12?
:devil: :devil: Me thinks you are up to mischief you owner of an SL60 ;)

It's really a V10 turbo charged diesel

Regards
John

It was a reply to your post "Just start up and hear the the superchargers go......"

For the record this had twin square tailpipes - and it looked like a proper AMG backbox as opposed to tips welded on.

:devil: :devil: Me thinks you are up to mischief you owner of an SL60 ;)

It's really a V10 turbo charged diesel

Regards
John

Perhaps my humour detector is faulty.....but I thought the only turbocharged 6.0 L AMG V12 was the M275 ie the "65".....I've probably just missed the point.....by a few yards! :D

For the record this had twin square tailpipes - and it looked like a proper AMG backbox as opposed to tips welded on.
If it had not sold.... Were you going back for another look??? :devil: :devil: ;)

Regards
John

It looks like an AMG box as fitted to W124s etc, but all SL60s had oval pipes as an option.

As mentioned there's a '97 silver SL60 up for sale in the MBOC Gazette for £15k.

It may not be sold ;)

However I think I need to walk away from this one - Talbirs idea of a donor car is probably the best course of action for it.

Pre facelift SL60s had the square pipes and post facelift had round 'uns.
Since this car was not originally specced with an AMG exhaust at all the plot thickens.

It may not be sold ;)

However I think I need to walk away from this one - Talbirs idea of a donor car is probably the best course of action for it.
Are you really, really walking? :devil:

If it has the parts that Talbir has kindly listed then would it be an expensive task to put the car right taking into account your technical abilities?

Regards
John
(wife is just packing our picnic):eek: :eek:

It may not be sold ;)

oh yes please....recipient will be my silver e500 !

now i need to find 8k :eek: to pay for a potential ringer:eek: :eek: :eek:

i'd do it ! Keep the car with the e500 engine 5.0 m119 as a nice drive around....:eek:

cheers
talbir

Are you really, really walking? :devil:

If it has the parts that Talbir has kindly listed then would it be an expensive task to put the car right taking into account your technical abilities?

Regards
John
(wife is just packing our picnic):eek: :eek:

don't listen to him, just keep walking !

don't deprive my e500 of becoming an e60 !

:D
t

In general they surely changed from square to oval pipes rather than the other way round. All the modern AMGs have oval tips, all the old skool ones I've seen are squared?

yeah, depends on the cycle though....pre 93 were all oval tailpipes but they were old-skool AMG, not '///amg'....the Hammer w124, AMG 126's, 201's all had oval tailpipes.

Then they became square between 92 and 95 ish.

Yes, then they changed to oval again but with '///amg' engravings. yuk !

j/k

talbir

Blimey Talbir, is there anything you don't know about these AMG cars? ;)

There's plenty i don't know...one thing i have learnt over the years is that one can never know it all on AMG, especially the pre-MB marriage stuff....AMG did all sorts of things, the sort one would look at and think 'no way that's a genuine AMG part'...then you trawl through AMG catalogs and it's there !

cheers
t

There's plenty i don't know...one thing i have learnt over the years is that one can never know it all on AMG, especially the pre-MB marriage stuff....AMG did all sorts of things, the sort one would look at and think 'no way that's a genuine AMG part'...then you trawl through AMG catalogs and it's there !

cheers
t

Well I am impressed, your dedication to all things AMG is amazing.

Cheers,

Richard

oh yes please....recipient will be my silver e500 !

now i need to find 8k :eek: to pay for a potential ringer:eek: :eek: :eek:

Even if the car did turn out to be moody - The 6.0L engine etc would all be legit as it belongs to the reg/car even if not to that shell ;)

I even thought about a complete swap into my mint shell, start with a bare shell and move every last piece over. OK it would be a K plate but it would also be a completely legitimate modded car. I would never get anything like my money back though - pretty typical of a heavily modded car

However - I am actually just going to leave it alone and forget about it, concentrate ont he 3.2 twin turbo and have fun with that, I still have a 300SL for cruising on sunny days.

Even if the car did turn out to be moody - The 6.0L engine etc would all be legit as it belongs to the reg/car even if not to that shell ;)

I even thought about a complete swap into my mint shell, start with a bare shell and move every last piece over. OK it would be a K plate but it would also be a completely legitimate modded car. I would never get anything like my money back though - pretty typical of a heavily modded car

However - I am actually just going to leave it alone and forget about it, concentrate ont he 3.2 twin turbo and have fun with that, I still have a 300SL for cruising on sunny days.

i agree that it's a lot of work to put the engine/trans into a non-V8 SL....wiring loom, mounts, exhaust plates, etc etc all need to move over....it's a good weeks work.

Whereas putting the 60 lump into the e500 is literally an 8 hour job start to finish....there will be some mucking around on the steering box....the m119 lumps are RHD and LHD specific, but with some ingenuity, it's an easy hurdle to jump.

consider that the modules alone are 5k....for me a 60 lump with the modules at 10k is a steal. One consideration is the fact that i would be de-purifying an e500....i don't think these cars shouldbe mucked around with, on the other hand it would become an e60, which was a production model that was sold, albeit only 120 or so of them.

Hammer's defo must not be mucked around with, no matter what the level of detail is...they have to stay pure....500e's have some room for manouvre in my humble opinion.

talbir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom