Rear Facing Seats (in an Eclass )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mika

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes
MB state that these seats have a suitable capacity for children up to 50kg

Im therefore assuming that would be two children up to 50kg each
So what do the panel think about putting say one slim but tall female in these seats from time to time? short journeys only , weight approx 56-60kg max
I have no young children now but i have been known to hang around with small groups of slender ladies from time to time :D

Alright very occasionally..

any serious comments i appreciate height may be a little restrictive

I suspect a part of the weight regulation will be due to the maximum seatframe & seatbelt loads seen in a crash. So as long as the occupant, regardless of age, is within the weight limit you should be alight.

In a rear end crash a tall person may squirm a little in fear of their ankles - but you're a safe and responsible driver, so that's not likely to happen.

Last edited:
I would also expect that size would come into the equation too. I wonder what the insurance implication would be if some numpty rear-ended the car and you had an adult in the back rather than a child...

I think the issue with height is more to do with position of seatbelts/height of headrests - more potential for injury if you don't fit the seat. Isn't the restriction 50kg/150cm?

Given the safety margin always engineered in, I wouldn't worry at all about an extra 5-10Kg. However, if you are more cautious than me, you could of course tell the young lady that the loading is critical, so you need to know exactly how much she weighs before each trip...

I think you would be better off having her in the middle row.

I think you would be better off having her in the middle row.

I suspect the OP may be thinking about a situation where he has too many slender ladies to fit into the front and middle seats...

When in the boot will she be sitting or on all fours? :D

To be serious, you can easily seat an adult in the rear facing seat but most do not enjoy the experience for more than a short journey. There is more room in the 210 than the 211. I don't know about the 212.

To be serious, you can easily seat an adult in the rear facing seat but most do not enjoy the experience for more than a short journey. There is more room in the 210 than the 211. I don't know about the 212.

The 212 is really tight certainly much less room than the 210, i was really disappointed when i tried it.
210 rear facing seat will seat most up to about 5'9"-10"

^ what he said. Official limit is 4'6" and there is no way a grown up could sit in there IMO

Can you do it? yes. Occasionally to go a few miles we've had a small adult sit in the back seats and they always commented on how surprisingly comfy it was.

Is it dangerous? You wouldn't want to be shunted, and certainly not at speed but you are probably better off there than the front seat of an old style mini (even with the belt on) or than in the middle row with no belt methinks.

i was thinking of one in the front
three in the back and just one in the rear facing seat
five lightweight slimline ladies
it wouldnt be often and my wife would be one of them
very occasional short journeys sounds possible

i was thinking of one in the front
three in the back and just one in the rear facing seat
five lightweight slimline ladies
it wouldnt be often and my wife would be one of them
very occasional short journeys sounds possible

I think I'd do it, for short journeys and drive carefully. I'd certainly put the shortest slender lady in the back though.

I've posted before that I used to have the structural diagrams for the 7 seat S211 showing how forces are passed around any passengers in the rear facing seats in the event of a shunt; the feet, if in the little footwell, are within the crash protection cage, but better not to let them stretch out to rest feet against the rear door.

yeah, fine for short journeys.

if the lady in the rear is so inclined she could entertain the car following you aswell :D

Odd how the 210 is better than subsequent models. It's a bit smaller i think, so i wonder why?
Incidentally i walked past a 505 estate with the extra row facing the right way. Great packaging even though it does look rather old now
Ash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom