• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

reasonable 190e insurance (23 year old)

wolfsburg

Car
Beetle
Hi guys just joined the forum there to see if you could help me out. After a year of driving my 1973 beetle I'm looking for a change, I've kind of grown tired of having it as a daily driver. I was thinking a 190e 1.8 would be a great contrast to the beetle in terms of ride and comfort.

I can't find any reasonable quote though for getting insured on it, I'm 23 years old, I've had my licence for a year (3 points on it ) and the cheapest quote I've got so far is 4500 pounds!

I was just wondering if anyone who is a similar age and has similar length of driving experience could let me know if they are insured for less that what I'm quoted and give me a bit of hope :p

Also would a 2.1 diesel be cheaper than the 1.8 petrol?

Thanks

I can't help you m8 but, What area do you live in ? & How much do you pay to insure the Beetle ?
The only way to find out if one car is cheaper than another is to find a car on Ebay/Autotrader, get the reg from the photo and play about on Confused.com etc
I always find adding a older person such as a parent as a named driver always brings my price down.
Good luck, i know insurance is a head ache ! ;)

Last edited:
Thats what I've been doing but no luck, I've looked on gocompare and money supermarket with my mum as the main driver (driving 3 years, 0 years ncb) and 4500 is what its showing me, a 2.2 c220 diesel cheapest I've got was 3600. I'm in Northern Ireland and my insurance for the beetle on my own classic policy with adrian flux is 1200 pounds.

Thats what I've been doing but no luck, I've looked on gocompare and money supermarket with my mum as the main driver (driving 3 years, 0 years ncb) and 4500 is what its showing me, a 2.2 c220 diesel cheapest I've got was 3600. I'm in Northern Ireland and my insurance for the beetle on my own classic policy with adrian flux is 1200 pounds.

Hello,

If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be more than happy to take another look into it for you.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan, I can't use the pm facility until I have at least 30 posts any other way I can get in contact with you?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Is your mom going to be the main driver then....? :doh:

I can't find any reasonable quote though for getting insured on it, I'm 23 years old, I've had my licence for a year (3 points on it ) and the cheapest quote I've got so far is 4500 pounds!

I was just wondering if anyone who is a similar age and has similar length of driving experience could let me know if they are insured for less that what I'm quoted and give me a bit of hope :p

Thanks

Well i do know of a 23 yr old on a forum who pays £800a year.....for 1994 Jagaur XJR:dk:
Also on this forum someone aged 21 claimed they paid £150 for a 500SEC:dk:
No , me neither:crazy:

Wouldn't a 190e go on a classic policy ?

Not as a daily driver need to be 2nd car
Also 99% insurers want over 25 yrs only -there a few who do over 21 -dunno who though

At the minute my classic policy in my own name is with equity red star under adrian flux, its kind of annoying that I can't build up a NCB with a classic policy. I've never had any luck with comparison websites, hopefully dan can sort me out :p although I'm not holding my breath I was quoted 1700 for a mk1 golf 1.5 petrol earlier on in the year. My mum or dad might be on the policy if it makes any difference, but from a few forums I read I'm getting the impression its not entirely legal. I'm pretty knowledgeable about cars but when it comes to insurance I'm terrible :)

Last edited:
Hi Dan, I can't use the pm facility until I have at least 30 posts any other way I can get in contact with you?

Thanks

Hi,

I am out of the office at the moment, but if you email me your details i can then pick them up.

Regards
Dan

Providing that you do not live in an area with a high crime rate, it shouldn’t cost you too much for insurance on a 1.8 190e. I say this because I am 21 with insurance on my E240 for less than £1500 and I have paid a similar amount since I was first insured on this vehicle at the age of 18!

A good friend of mine recently purchased a W204 C180K Sport for which he is paying a similar price.

You will have to shop around, make sure you check out Tesco insurance and CIS as they normally have cheaper prices.

Good luck :thumb:

can I ask who you're with? tesco quoted me 8000! cis doesn't insure people in northern ireland I don't think, dan could you pm me your email address please
Thanks

Try Confused.com and Beatthatquote.com

Even though the comparison sites use the same companies they charge differently. For instance i was quoted more on the sites you have tried than Confused.com for the same company.

Im insured on a C63 AMG at 23 for under £1400, should have been £900 but when i add my NON FAULT claim it made it go up £300. However i have been driving since i was 18 and have 3 years no claims and no points.

I dont know if this is any help but im 22 and own a c220 cdi. I pay 490 a year fully comp, I put my dad on as a named driver and it went from 2500 to 490 so maybe another driver could help. If it makes any difference i only have 2 years no claims

can I ask who you're with? tesco quoted me 8000! cis doesn't insure people in northern ireland I don't think, dan could you pm me your email address please
Thanks

I am with Aviva but they are not known to be the cheapest I think I was just lucky :dk:

Perhaps you are better of trying the comparison websites as others have suggested. Admiral might be worth a shot I hear they sometimes give fair quotes.

Im insured on a C63 AMG at 23 for under £1400

Wow! You got yourself a good deal there!!

When renewing my insurance, I spent a lot of time on the internet seeking insurance on any AMG and it didn’t seem possible for me perhaps because of my location. I will definitely look into this again though as I would love to be behind the wheel of an AMG :devil:

Which company are you with?

Aviva doesn't insure Northern Ireland either, admiral said I need to ring to give further details for a quote. Tried confused.com too no luck with them or any other comparison site for that matter. I don't understand how I could get insured on a light 1.6l car easily but a heavy 1.8 is 4x the price.

A wee bit of luck there, adrian flux were quoting me 4300 but while on the phone I discovered its a normal car policy I'm on with my current car and therefore have a 1 year ncb, this brought the price down to 2229 with my dad as a named driver. My friend who has held a licence for 3 years but has never driven and is the same age as me got a quote on the mercedes for 1650 so I'm gonna keep looking till I hopefully get a quote similar to that

by the way the quote for 2229 was through go compare, the quote from adrian flux was 4300 with the 1 years ncb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom