Recommended after market brand of brake discs & pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s got to be including the labour though? 1hr at main dealer prices
Correct. I wish I could get 5 a week to do , I'd pack work in.

Finally got round to sorting this out ( well kind of). Thanks again to everyone who gave their recommendations, suggestions and general comments.
I got the Brembo discs as these seemed to win the vote. I was about to get them from ECP @ £96 pair when I checked GSF and got them there for £81 pair. I decided to do the job myself so total price fitted £81, instead of £500+ at Merc. Happy days :) , or so I thought ???
Started on the drivers side. Jacked the car up, took the wheel off, removed the small screw from the disc and then...................... spent about an hour trying to undo the two bolts holding the caliper on. They just would not budge. I even snapped my breaker bar and that's had some stick over the years. I know the bolts will have some kind of thread lock on them but that's never been a problem for me in the past.
Once again, some advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Fair play , some forces there to snap a breaker .

Nice choice of wagon .

Finally got round to sorting this out ( well kind of). Thanks again to everyone who gave their recommendations, suggestions and general comments.
I got the Brembo discs as these seemed to win the vote. I was about to get them from ECP @ £96 pair when I checked GSF and got them there for £81 pair. I decided to do the job myself so total price fitted £81, instead of £500+ at Merc. Happy days :) , or so I thought ???
Started on the drivers side. Jacked the car up, took the wheel off, removed the small screw from the disc and then...................... spent about an hour trying to undo the two bolts holding the caliper on. They just would not budge. I even snapped my breaker bar and that's had some stick over the years. I know the bolts will have some kind of thread lock on them but that's never been a problem for me in the past.
Once again, some advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Warm them up with a gas bottle / blow lamp , heat melts the thread lock. Not to sound crued, as if I would, make sure to turn the correct way .

Theoretically thread lock shouldn't have been used.
I'm surprised the heads of the bolts weren't sheared before the breaker bar broke.

Bigger bar and blow torch as per 'one for the road'

Correct size socket and a big breakers bar usually does the trick.

Sounds quite drastic if it has broke a breakers bar.

What length was the breaker bar !? :eek:too long and you will pull the car off the axle stand !! Heat is your friend. I have various methods of heating stubborn stuff up. My favourite is a micro torch with MAPP gas, you can get that small blue flame just where you need it.

Christ knows who the last bloke was who tightened those bolts up !

What length was the breaker bar !? :eek:too long and you will pull the car off the axle stand !! Heat is your friend. I have various methods of heating stubborn stuff up. My favourite is a micro torch with MAPP gas, you can get that small blue flame just where you need it.

Geoff Capes.

from working on Alfa’s I tend to give a squirt of plusgas the day before I’m due to work on anything. I think it does help.

That bloke was a mechanic at the Merc dealers !!!

Christ knows who the last bloke was who tightened those bolts up

It is (was) a 2ft bar.

Fair play , some forces there to snap a breaker .

Nice choice of wagon .
Didn't know I had it in me lol. Snapped at the knuckle and flew up and hit me on the cheekbone. Got a bit of a shiner now :(.
Thanks for complimenting the wagon. I had a test drive in one like yours in 2017 but I thought he was asking too much at £14k and he and wouldn't even negotiate. With hindsight maybe should have got it as the one previous owner was a royal who had been a friend of Princess Diana. Had screens in the headrests too.

Geoff Capes.

from working on Alfa’s I tend to give a squirt of plusgas the day before I’m due to work on anything. I think it does help.
Put WD on them but probably should have left it to soak in overnight as you said.

Warm them up with a gas bottle / blow lamp , heat melts the thread lock. Not to sound crued, as if I would, make sure to turn the correct way .
Are you saying it's not the usual anticlockwise to undo ??

Was your bar 1/2 or 3/4 inch?

I tend to use a 1/2" 750mm long (30") bar on caliper/carrier bolts.

Was your bar 1/2 or 3/4 inch?

I tend to use a 1/2" 750mm long (30") bar on caliper/carrier bolts.
I use a ring spanner and 4lb hammer to get em moving.

pop along to a local garage who will slack them off with a impact driver, then just nip them up and drive home.
Might cost a drink.

It was 1/2" and 2ft. Probably get the longer one now.

It was 1/2" and 2ft. Probably get the longer one now.
Post 77 after heat for a few mins . Shock them loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom