Recording from Sky Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
I currently have a Sky+ box and a DVD player/recorder, when I want to burn a movie on the sky planner to DVD I just set record on the DVD recorder and transfer from the Sky box by pressing play.

Lately my DVD player/recorder is playing up so either I have to replace it or do i? On the same set up as this I have a small form PC running an Intel P4 2800 processor, 1 Gb RAM. So could I connect the Sky box to the PC maybe via the S video output to USB input and record direct to the PC? I could then burn to DVD from the PC in a fraction of the time and also keep the films on the PC's 500Gb disc. I guess I could also play the DVD's from the PC DVD drive but what would be the best media player to do this? as Windows MP doesn't look that good.

Any advice on if this is possible and what recording software and media player I would need greatly welcomed.

Cheers.

It's likely the forum police will be along shortly informing you of copyright infringement.

As the forum simply can't be seen to encourage, discuss or be in any way involved in this heinous crime your thread will be deleted and you'll be given a 100 lines and told to sit on the naughty step.

Is recording for own personal use copyight infringement? What is the difference to recording direct to a DVD recorder or video tape? I don't think this violates any UK laws at all, but better check with SWMBO

Nope, no copyright infringement, recording for personal use under the time shifting rules of The Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003 is allowed and perfectly legal.

the time shifting rules of The Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003

Wow, that sounds very Doctor Who.

I currently have a Sky+ box and a DVD player/recorder, when I want to burn a movie on the sky planner to DVD I just set record on the DVD recorder and transfer from the Sky box by pressing play.

Lately my DVD player/recorder is playing up so either I have to replace it or do i? On the same set up as this I have a small form PC running an Intel P4 2800 processor, 1 Gb RAM. So could I connect the Sky box to the PC maybe via the S video output to USB input and record direct to the PC? I could then burn to DVD from the PC in a fraction of the time and also keep the films on the PC's 500Gb disc. I guess I could also play the DVD's from the PC DVD drive but what would be the best media player to do this? as Windows MP doesn't look that good.

Any advice on if this is possible and what recording software and media player I would need greatly welcomed.

Cheers.

Right, obviously all you are doing is what someone with a VCR is doing all the time.

Now, I would use a scart to RCA/SVideo converter and an RCA lead (Red White and Yellow connectors) to present an input to the SVideo input connector on your graphics card and left/right mic input of your motherboard.

Then use a capture program to record the inputs to whatever file type is preferred. MPEG2...

Why don't you just stick a bigger hd in the sky+ box, thats what I did. You would be suprised how much space is allocated to 'Anytime' and how little you actually have left for recording.

Adam

Why don't you just stick a bigger hd in the sky+ box, thats what I did. You would be suprised how much space is allocated to 'Anytime' and how little you actually have left for recording.

Adam

How easy is that and what type of drive do I need? what about formatting and is there anything on there that needs re installing that affects the operation of the sky box. Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Cheers Ian

Sky + Doesn't have anytime, thats sky HD

You can still add a larger drive however, but you cannot watch it in another room as you could if you burn it to DVD.

I use a 1TB external drive connected to a WD TV box and HDMI to the TV, films, pictures, music all there and it will play all formats you can throw at it :)

Sky + Doesn't have anytime, thats sky HD

:)

Oops, mine is HD, still, it's worthwhile if your warranty is out..
Fairly straight forward, do a search on taking the sky+ apart and get a decent compatible drive.

You will need copy+ software (free) that does all the work for you - even copying the recordings from your original drive to your new one.

Copy+, the free Sky & XTV disk copier software

Cheers
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom