Remapping the M157?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s to reduce the risk of them becoming seized.
It mainly to make sure the open part of the electrode is facing the incoming fuel. You can get issues with the 157 running the wrong plugs that don't allow correct indexing at the right torque. Seizing should never be an issue with spark plugs....the torque setting on plugs is too low for that. I always feel they are too loose at the correct torque regardless of the car make.....I know its correct.....but it feels so lose!!!

Agreed, i had to change the plugs on mine a few months after the remap - they were close to being changed and couldn't handle the extra grunt..
New set of plugs later & all was well again..
I recently replaced the set. It transformed how the car feels and drives (especially on 99RON fuel).

For reference (and according to a service record), mine were last done 30k miles ago.

unmodified and de-limited, are they capable of 200mph?

They should do.....at 550 horse or 585 ish for the S that should be plenty of power. A 501 horse ALFA Quadrifoglio (which is not restricted ) can do about 191......the claimed drag is about the same (E63 is heavier but if you remember your school, weight only affects acceleration, not top speed!) so I'd like to think that the extra horses should overcome the extra 9mph required to hit the double ton.

The connecting rods are the weak link on the m157. Particularly the tapered top on the little end. Go with a respected tuner, and heed their advice about safe upper limits. Bent conrods are a huge headache - they’ll result in scored bores and big bills.

The connecting rods are the weak link on the m157. Particularly the tapered top on the little end. Go with a respected tuner, and heed their advice about safe upper limits. Bent conrods are a huge headache - they’ll result in scored bores and big bills.
Agreed. It's pretty well known within the M157 remapping followers. Worst case can end in a £12k+ bill.
MSL are deliberately holding back the power on their Stage 1 remaps and have done for the last few years since this issue raised concerns.

Three members that I know of have had this issue with remapped M157's. Basically there isn't enough meat at the small end of the conrod. It's a poor design IMO.

Don’t let this put you off though, it’s a great engine. Just be aware of the limitations. Fortunately these paths are well trodden, do your research and you’ll have a big smile on your face.

According to motortrend who dynoed the sAMG, w212 when comparing it to the M5, it came out around 650hp and 840ish NM of torque as stock. i could dyno mine when I decide to mod the exhaust but that's a few months away. The stock engine tune is strong already but why not have more.

Not sure I'll be tuning it anytime soon 🤑🤑

Basically there isn't enough meat at the small end of the conrod. It's a poor design IMO.
It's only a poor design if it fails under loads it was meant to withstand. As I understand it they don't break on standard engines so it's fit for purpose.

Sometimes you get lucky and an engine has been over engineered so you can really push it safely aftermarket. However, even then something will be the limiting factor.

Keep it oem as the creator intended, want more power purchase a better car.

Not sure I agree with this. Most engines are designed to be well within tolerances so they don't break under normal circumstances. So many are capable of more quite safely. It's just knowing how much more!

And "better" doesn't necessarily mean more power 😉

Not sure I agree with this. Most engines are designed to be well within tolerances so they don't break under normal circumstances. So many are capable of more quite safely. It's just knowing how much more!

And "better" doesn't necessarily mean more power 😉
Correct and well aware that is why i dusted a 700+ bhp cls in the alps in my 510bhp w204 c class.

Correct and well aware that is why i dusted a 700+ bhp cls in the alps in my 510bhp w204 c class.
I thought you were implying better cars have more power when you said...

want more power purchase a better car.

Want less power purchase anything with an M156 kept oem as the creator intended.

Either it was snowy and you had chains and he didn't, or he wasn't trying very hard. Which do you think it was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom