Repair of tiny paint chips...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

India

Car
W204 C220 Sport Auto
Hi all,

Picked up my 08 c220 sport on Saturday. Very, very happy with it. I spent a long time cleaning and polishing it, during which time I noticed 5 or 6 tiny paint chips in various places over the vehicle. I'm talking about 1mm. They are down to the metal in most cases. Obsidian black metallic. Anyone any idea how much it would cost to have these professionally rerpaired?

Also, it rained overnight and I ended up with water marks all over the car. What can I use to apply to the paintwork so that water just runs off?

Cheers.

Hi,

I would buy an obsidian touch-up stick and apply it with a toothpick to the chip. You can always use something mild to polish it down later if it sticks up. Something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

As for waxing up the paint work, try BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - I really rate it.

S

I believe that Halfords also do minor dent and scratch repairs in the shop.

Silver paint and lacquer:D
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a black car.:rolleyes:
Nothing looks as sharp as a well polished and waxed black vehicle, nothing shows the muck in the atmosphere faster either :wallbash:

My first Merc was Obsidian Black, and I have to say it always looked excellent when I'd washed and waxed it. A relly good waxing job does help the water bead and run off, but for looking clean when it's not my Silver Merc wins hands down:)

Silver paint and lacquer:D
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a black car.:rolleyes:
Nothing looks as sharp as a well polished and waxed black vehicle, nothing shows the muck in the atmosphere faster either :wallbash:

My first Merc was Obsidian Black, and I have to say it always looked excellent when I'd washed and waxed it. A relly good waxing job does help the water bead and run off, but for looking clean when it's not my Silver Merc wins hands down:)

Something I've learnt within days. It shows absolutely everything. Most frustrating thing is that I wanted a silver car, the Mrs insisted on black!

Hi,

I would buy an obsidian touch-up stick and apply it with a toothpick to the chip. You can always use something mild to polish it down later if it sticks up. Something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

As for waxing up the paint work, try BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - I really rate it.

S

Sounds like a plan. I'm reasonably confident trying it. I'll need to add primer though right?

Most frustrating thing is that I wanted a silver car, the Mrs insisted on black!
I suggest you give Mrs India full instructions on how to keep the car looking in tip-top shape, and let her keep it that way.

I've only ever had one black vehicle and until such time as I can afford a full time valeter, I will never own another ;)

Sounds like a plan. I'm reasonably confident trying it. I'll need to add primer though right?

Nah, if they are really small I would not bother.

I have had four black cars, keep 'em clean to keep 'em mean.

S

ice polish

i have just used turtlewax ice polish,it was the the easiest and quickest i have ever used and it looks good,iv been told it dosent last as long as others but its so easy to use

For very tiny chips , i tear off a strip of masking tape and roll it until it has a fine point , dip it carefully into the paint so it has a very small amount on the tip , and just touch in the chip. If you have an aerosol , just spray a bit of paint into the cap , and dip the tape in.
I find Mer or Autoglym fine for keeping the rain off.

Martin :)

Brought back the W202 from hibernation this week, been in the outside hot sun. Noticed the touch up paint spots have turned rust colour instead of Imperial red. Is this rust or normal?

These guys have been recommended to me by a chap at work who owns a 1969 Mustang. They repair stone chips etc. and are apparantly very reasonable and give a lifetime guarantee. I haven't used them so can't comment, but will be contacting them in the future to see if they can sort out the scuffs on my bumper:

What is Smart Repair? - Smart ABC

May i excuse for the disturbance....just got here thru google. just want to ask. Anyone here has the idea how much a repainting service cost? I'm talking about the fair price...it happened that my 85 mustang's paint has been tainted. i owned this car for long and i want to repaint it and make it attractive once again just send pms or place your response here.

1985hatchback.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chipex has some good reviews - basically a 3 stage repair processs. I bought a kit for another car and it looks good. Not cheap at around £40 if I recall. There was a 25% discount code - dec12 but not sure if that still works.

If not try code MB10. That gives 25% too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom