Replacement Tyres - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Inreasingly I have become more concerned with noise and comfort dealing with our potholed and damaged Surrey roads, than out and out track perfomance and so have gravitated to Goodyear AS (pick a number!) as they are very quiet, reasonably compliant and perform very well, with no notceable difference to either the noisy Contis or P zeros

I had Toyos on my slk 350 when I bought it, replaced the rears with Avons, which have always been my tyre of choice, fronts got goodyears as I got a really good offer.
Falkens on my c220 cdi, I can't tell the difference between them.
Next time round I'll probably fit cheap chinese on the c220, and see how they go and if good fit similar on the slk when needed.

Hi , well really lucky that i decided to have my wheels refurbished on my car.

Tyres are a year old , fronts appear to be in good condition with no sign of any issues.However , I wish it could be said of the rears..

The rears look at eternally perfect , but upon inspection internally the tyres have a crack running round the circumference of the tyre.

A considerable amount of carbon black dust particles were visible when the wheel / tyre separated.

The car has recently been MOT and passed with flying colours plus and serviced by a Mercedes dealer.No blame can be attributed to either party as stated as the tyre fault cannot been eternally.

The car has only done 4000 miles

It's either Goodyear of Michelin next time.

What were on the rear as a matter of warning to us all :rolleyes:

Hi Tyre should read 4000 mles and not car.

Conti 5p
I’m surprised it was Conti’s, they were one of the ones I had on my list. Looks like it will be Michelin now. :)

Hi , my last set of Cont tyres 6 broke failed at 8000 miles.

Continental tyres handled the complaint well in that they replaced the rear tyres and I paid for the front tyres.

I must say Continental used Kwik fit to change the tyres and I just say they did a first class job.

However , 3000 miles later the tyres are failing again.

I won't put on Continental tyres again , even for free which is such a shame.

I may give Goodyear ago or Michelin.
Hi , well really lucky that i decided to have my wheels refurbished on my car.

Tyres are a year old , fronts appear to be in good condition with no sign of any issues.However , I wish it could be said of the rears..

The rears look at eternally perfect , but upon inspection internally the tyres have a crack running round the circumference of the tyre.

A considerable amount of carbon black dust particles were visible when the wheel / tyre separated.

The car has recently been MOT and passed with flying colours plus and serviced by a Mercedes dealer.No blame can be attributed to either party as stated as the tyre fault cannot been eternally.

Hi , sorry about delay responding to tyre problems.

The tyres were brand new according to the date stamp on the tyres.

Rear - They are cracking up at the root of the tyre as happen previously.

Front - There appears to be a small plug in the tyre on the FNS and the ONS appears to be satisfactory.

I cannot be bothered to go back to Conti again
Your really not having much success with tyres are you?

The symptoms you describe would usually be caused by significant under inflation, but I guess that's not the case here.

The symptoms you describe would usually be caused by significant under inflation, but I guess that's not the case here.
Hi , Quite right on your assumption but I check the tyre pressure pressure monthly or when go on a long run.

The pressure when cold is 36psi all round and becomes 40psi on a run.

All I have to do is slight adjust the pressure to bring I back to the approved pressure by Mercedes.

The Type Pressure Monitor system has never high lighted a problem but I am aware the pressure drop has to be considerable to register a pressure drop.

A few years ago the front tyre had a nail go through the tyre tread and it was nearly flat when I pulled over immediately.

The tyres on my car have never been used in an inflated pressure.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi , Quite right on your assumption but I check the tyre pressure pressure monthly or when go on a long run.

The pressure when cold is 36psi all round and becomes 40psi on a run.

All I have to do is slight adjust the pressure to bring I back to the approved pressure by Mercedes.

The Type Pressure Monitor system has never high lighted a problem but I am aware the pressure drop has to be considerable to register a pressure drop.

A few years ago the front tyre had a nail go through the tyre tread and it was nearly flat when I pulled over immediately.

The tyres on my car have never been used in an inflated pressure.

Thanks for your reply.
I have a small battery powered compressor and have been anal about keeping my tyres at the correct pressure (per the fuel flap). I even had an app that calculated the correct pressure based on current temperatures etc.

I wanted a better look at the rears so took a photo of my rear wheels and the wear on the edges in noticeably higher than the middle.

I recall reading somewhere that the R231 benefitted from increased pressure on the rear wheels because they tend to wear the edges.

Replacement Pirellis due on Tuesday & then I’ll book it in to get the alloys refurbished.

I'm currently using michelin pilot sport 4s on my E63 and the grip on them is great however I am running the pressure (see attached) on the car on the fuel cap on shows to put in even more I'm not sure if it's right ? Can anyone please advise

Pressure taken with car being stood still from the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-150039_Mercedes me.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-150039_Mercedes me.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom