Replacement Tyres - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are the rears wearing evenly? Tyres on the front and rear axles wear at a similar rate on both of ours.

After having Pirelli summer tyres on both for many years, I’ve switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on one, and they’re been good - they’re noisy though, and they pick up grit very easily.

If you stick with Pzeros I find that AO Audi “spec” last longer.
Yes they seem to be wearing at the same rate, I had a full 4 wheel alignment and set up done when I got the car at a trusted tyre centre.

I've seen for sale the same tyres but for different manufacturers, ie audi,bmw and mercedes spec so wondered if they were different compounds.

This implies that your tyre choice is based on price (best deal on a quality tyre) and not performance or will you now stick to Goodyears even if you can get cheaper Michelins?
It's highly unlikely I'll need any more before it goes back, but I would go with the Goodyears if I did.

Poop - cant find any Michelin P4S in the rear size ( 285/30/19) available at tyre fitters or with Blackcircles

Hi , my last set of Cont tyres 6 broke failed at 8000 miles.

Continental tyres handled the complaint well in that they replaced the rear tyres and I paid for the front tyres.

I must say Continental used Kwik fit to change the tyres and I just say they did a first class job.

However , 3000 miles later the tyres are failing again.

I won't put on Continental tyres again , even for free which is such a shame.

I may give Goodyear ago or Michelin.

The current P Zeros on my AMG E63 S212 are down to about 4mm, so wont be long before they will need changing.

Are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S the ideal replacements, for normal road use or are there better options to consider. My old Lexus ISF was on the Michelins and they worked really well in all conditions.
I didn't like the P Zero's I had on my last MB W204, I thought they were very noisy. :(

I am going to have to change the tyres on my W205 because they are 5 years old now and have started to show cracks in the rubber. They are factory fit Nexen but still have just over 5mm on them after 17,500 miles. :rolleyes:

The Tyres at the top of my list are in fact Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, they have very good reviews. Second on my list are Goodyear Asymetric 6 which might be worth a look :)

Continental tyres handled the complaint well in that they replaced the rear tyres and I paid for the front tyres.

I must say Continental used Kwik fit to change the tyres and I just say they did a first class job.

How are they failing?

What went wrong with them?

How are they failing?
I wondered that too as I've just replaced the Davantis that the MB dealer recently put on mine with the Continental 6

I got in touch with MB customer services and asked them if Davantis were MB approved and they said the dealer has told them that they are MB approved. I changed them anyway but interested to hear about the Conti 6 as I've just bought them :confused:

I need a rear set for my car & was considering the Contis as they get good reviews.

I wondered that too as I've just replaced the Davantis that the MB dealer recently put on mine with the Continental 6

I got in touch with MB customer services and asked them if Davantis were MB approved and they said the dealer has told them that they are MB approved. I changed them anyway but interested to hear about the Conti 6 as I've just bought them :confused:

Premium or Sport ?

I need a rear set for my car & was considering the Contis as they get good reviews.
I got the local tyre fitter to price match Asda tyres £275 for 2 rears. Asda came up slightly cheaper than Blackcircles on that particular tyre this time. The tyre fitter already advertises on both Asda tyres and Blackcircles but was quoting more before I told him the Asda price. He is trying to sell the davantis for me.

Last edited:
Premium or Sport ?
They are the Premium contact ones. The Asda price was around £150 each but also had vouchers on top of that so the local tyre fitter matched the price that would have included the asda vouchers too which I thought was good. It already had them on the front so I matched them

Good tyre .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nowt wrong with Conti’s. They are a good tyre, used them quite a lot in the past and never had any issues with them :)

Like anything else, tyres can have manufacturing faults like anything else but to have two consecutive sets of tyres fail so soon would be very very unusual.

If it was commonplace then this thread would be full of comments about premature failure, which suggests that it’s relatively unlikely to be be widespread.

Nowt wrong with Conti’s. They are a good tyre, used them quite a lot in the past and never had any issues with them :)
I always had them on my BMWs years ago as they were fitted as OM. I recall them being quite good. The latest models have had good test reviews.

Like anything else, tyres can have manufacturing faults like anything else but to have two consecutive sets of tyres fail so soon would be very very unusual.

If it was commonplace then this thread would be full of comments about premature failure, which suggests that it’s relatively unlikely to be be widespread.
Yes it’s almost inconceivable, I’ve had continental MO’s on mine for 3 years without a problem, it’s only a low powered E250 though.

How are they failing?
Hi , sorry about delay responding to tyre problems.

The tyres were brand new according to the date stamp on the tyres.

Rear - They are cracking up at the root of the tyre as happen previously.

Front - There appears to be a small plug in the tyre on the FNS and the ONS appears to be satisfactory.

I cannot be bothered to go back to Conti again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom