Replacement window quotes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
a window is a window is a window is a window?

no.

there are quite big differencecs and it amazes me that in the uk it not a big deal. Here it's a big thing that the 100 year old single windows has been replaced with generic double glazing, but elsewhere in the world simple double glazing is thrown out in benefit of triple glazing or specially insulated double glazed units.

Good quality correctly installed doors and windows not only saves on heating but also gives you a much more comfortable indoor environment.

I would not simply go for the cheapest quote, much more research is needed

Wouldn't want to do bay windows as a novice. There's also difficult access to some of the upstairs windows ... I'm guessing scaffolding would be needed.

All in all if I can get a sensible quote I'm happy to pay a local company to (hopefully) do a good job, quickly and efficiently.

Havent done any bay windows to be honest so perhaps it is better to go with someone local ,just make sure you are around when they go in to see the quality of instalation.

Havent done any bay windows to be honest so perhaps it is better to go with someone local ,just make sure you are around when they go in to see the quality of instalation.

Don't forget to comply with building regs they will need to be FENSA registered....they will issue a certificate once installed that proves they comply with the current thermal insulation requirements....

a window is a window is a window is a window?

no.

there are quite big differencecs and it amazes me that in the uk it not a big deal. Here it's a big thing that the 100 year old single windows has been replaced with generic double glazing, but elsewhere in the world simple double glazing is thrown out in benefit of triple glazing or specially insulated double glazed units.

Good quality correctly installed doors and windows not only saves on heating but also gives you a much more comfortable indoor environment.

I would not simply go for the cheapest quote, much more research is needed

Certainly doing research and not planning to simply take the cheapest quote.

The energy saving thing is interesting. Our annual gas bill is under £800 (already have roof and wall insulation), but that covers cooking and hot water too - so let's say £600 for heating. A 25% saving is quoted for A rated windows, so I'd be saving maybe £150 a year. If the windows cost £8000, that'd be a 53 year payback! :D

Personally, I would go for wood rather than UPVC windows. They look nicer and have a higher insulation value.

If your existing windows are in good structural condition, why not just rout out the rebates and fit new double glazed units.
You need to use butyl putty for wooden frames, otherwise it's straightforward.

OK the biggest double glazed window in our house has "popped" it is (rough measurements) 38" deep by 88" wide. Even rougher guide 3 foot deep by 7 foot wide. Any idea on a price for a new unit. Thanks in advance.
The unit is around 12 years old which I guess, being the size it is, is about how long you can expect to get out of a double glazed unit.

CHEERS

OK the biggest double glazed window in our house has "popped" it is (rough measurements) 38" deep by 88" wide. Even rougher guide 3 foot deep by 7 foot wide. Any idea on a price for a new unit. Thanks in advance.
The unit is around 12 years old which I guess, being the size it is, is about how long you can expect to get out of a double glazed unit.

CHEERS

Get a price off these first for a comparison to a new replacement Cloudy 2 Clear Windows

CHEERS

Just look in the phone directory for a local double glazed unit manufacturer, they will be cheap as they supply the glass to the trade.

Personally, I would go for wood rather than UPVC windows. They look nicer and have a higher insulation value.

If your existing windows are in good structural condition, why not just rout out the rebates and fit new double glazed units.
You need to use butyl putty for wooden frames, otherwise it's straightforward.

As mentioned there is limited access to some of the upstairs windows, so the existing windows are not in great condition. 'Maintenance free' is one of the aims in replacing them.

Some of the better uPVC frames with a 'woodgrain' finish look quite OK, IMO. Not like the thick white plastic frames of old.

Another vote for established local joiners shop. We're having 6 wooden box sash windows made and fitted for about a 1/3 the price of a 'national'. Better quality windows too. Local guys are also better able to fit around any renovation plans you might have and so install the windows in phases.

Phone call tonight from London office - actually they could do it 'at cost' (again!), which strangely is now £8.5k :rolleyes:
That was Monday, today I received a letter saying OK how about £7999! :D

That was Monday, today I received a letter saying OK how about £7999! :D

Ask the question. "So if I would have signed on the dotted line at the first price, you would have taken my order?" I'd love to hear their answer. :rolleyes:

Just get a bunch of people round, who you trust to do an excellent job, to each give you their best price. Then pick the cheapest. Small local/big national, who cares. Oh and make sure they all know you're shopping round.

Yes use a local firm that've been in the business many years and you won't go far wrong.

I did that.

They bodged the front door fitting (measured it wrong in the first place) and then after 6 months went but (after being in business for 25 years)

Turned out they were not up to date on their FENSA payments either which meant that the "FENSA Backed" warranty was not worth the paper it was written on.

6 months later they were up in business again with the same name and still claiming 25 years in business.

You can indeed go very far wrong with local companies too.

Don't forget to comply with building regs they will need to be FENSA registered....they will issue a certificate once installed that proves they comply with the current thermal insulation requirements....

I found out the hard way that a FENSA certificate is not worth the paper it is written on (just like NHBC certificates)

Simply put, if the window company pays it's fees, it is allowed to put the FENSA logo on its vans etc.

Big outfits = Big prices even discounted they will be over and above.
If you state how many windows and include any doors then you might get to a figure otherwize your no nearer.

I found out the hard way that a FENSA certificate is not worth the paper it is written on (just like NHBC certificates)

Simply put, if the window company pays it's fees, it is allowed to put the FENSA logo on its vans etc.

There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Trusted word of mouth seems the best bet...

There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Trusted word of mouth seems the best bet...

FENSA is a building control obligation to allow the installer to self certify that the products and installation comply with building regs not just a guarantee for workmanship....without it the homeowner would have to apply for building control approval before installing = ballache

Last edited:
I've no doubt - but my point was like a lot of these things, relying on accrediation is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom