rider crashes when being stopped by the police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Don't let the title cloud your judgement, but I can see this being a lively debate :)

For my thoughts: 3 points to the second rider for the collision. 3 points to the policeman for contributing to the collision.

[YOUTUBE]Uk8yl_07Keo[/YOUTUBE]

The rider was filming a road safety video. When trying to stop quickly he forgot to use his front brake as well being rusty. If you find the right YouTube video he believes its his fault, not the policemans.

Did you see the speed, nearly 100mph.

He did forget to use the front brake.

Looks like a bit of front brake to me...just not enough!

seems this is an old video - oh well

[YOUTUBE]OxiKQl7B2y8[/YOUTUBE]

If the first and third bikes were able to stop safely, I don't see why tbe second bike couldn't? It does look to me like a rider's error. Not sure why some seem to think that the police are to blame.

Causing a vehicle to do an emergency stop in fogy conditions adds unnecessary risk.

Causing a vehicle to do an emergency stop in fogy conditions adds unnecessary risk.

But not doing so means that motorists can speed with impunity when it's foggy... OK, perhpas the speed trap was not best situated, but a rider riding a bike in conditions where they are unable to stop safely is the major issue here.

I don't think the cop contributed in any way.

In all conditions, you should ride at a safe speed and leave a gap big enough for your ability to stop.

Any hazard could present itself at any time.

The cop was a bit of a berk standing out in the road though.

Before theres any more armchair judging have a Google of this incident, its not real.

"No - in fairness it was ENTIRELY my fault - the cops were kindly just helping out in a sequence for the video I was making."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiKQl7B2y8

"Rabbit in the headlights" moment, thirty years off bikes no wonder he didn't have the reactions, he's riding the bike like he was driving a car.
No downshifts (watch the tacho) so no engine braking either, back end locked up solid, no attempt at cadence braking. No wonder so many 'born again bikers' don't stay 'reborn' very long.

Actually...thirty years off bikes would put him riding in the mid 70's, seem to recall a lot a people riding Jap bikes coming a cropper with first generation disk brakes in the wet - used to get terrible 'lag' between squeezing the lever and the actual brake working, instant response 'SQUEEZE HARDER!' ...then the brake coming in full power, locking up the front wheel instantly and flicking you off sideways. Maybe he had a flashback to the reason he stopped riding thirty years ago...

Before theres any more armchair judging have a Google of this incident, its not real.

The crash is real - but as noted above the "speed trap" was set-up, ironically by the rider who crashed, for the purposes of making a road safety film.

Have not yet watched the videos as the interweb is painfully slow at home today!

Have just found something funny though! Those circles that go round in the centre when youtube is buffering, if you use the arrow keys on a laptop it turns into a game of snake!!!!

"No - in fairness it was ENTIRELY my fault - the cops were kindly just helping out in a sequence for the video I was making."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiKQl7B2y8

"Rabbit in the headlights" moment, thirty years off bikes no wonder he didn't have the reactions, he's riding the bike like he was driving a car.
No downshifts (watch the tacho) so no engine braking either, back end locked up solid, no attempt at cadence braking. No wonder so many 'born again bikers' don't stay 'reborn' very long.

Actually...thirty years off bikes would put him riding in the mid 70's, seem to recall a lot a people riding Jap bikes coming a cropper with first generation disk brakes in the wet - used to get terrible 'lag' between squeezing the lever and the actual brake working, instant response 'SQUEEZE HARDER!' ...then the brake coming in full power, locking up the front wheel instantly and flicking you off sideways. Maybe he had a flashback to the reason he stopped riding thirty years ago...

In reference to this, i had an old CG125 which was in for MOT when i was doing my motorcycle training. I nearly crashed the brand new sym xs125 as the rear brakes were about 20times more sensitive. I kept locking it up! SO yes, i can relate to the braking issues.

The old CG125's weren't terribly good in the braking department were they! The subsequent little Kawasaki KH100 was a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom