Rights under 1975 consumer credit act

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you can find someone to fix an oil and water pump leak (parts and labour) for less than 100 pounds, please let me know and then start your own business - you'll make a packet

I wrote IF you can DIY and depending on where the oil leak is from it MAY be able to repaired for <£100.

Water pump £24 - Water Pump Meyle 7130010014 | eBay

eg. Rocker cover gasket £5 - Febi Rocker Cover Gasket Genuine OE Quality Replacement | eBay

So there you go - £29 and a few hours work.

I also wrote the supplying dealer should have had the warranty in place for you picking the car up and the fact that he didn`t then he should be taken to task on that - NO question , you are right and i agree with you 100% but regarding the other issues discovered after you to possesion of the car , i aint having a go, i am just a realist as what to expect when buying a low value older car as we looked at loads of them (private + trade sales) when looking for my daughters first car. I also know what to expect from back street garages and that is why we steered well clear of them after a few visits to look at some of their "immaculate" motors.

Kenny

Last edited:
kenny - 550 of repairs on something you've just bought for 1000 is NOT acceptable in any sane persons eyes,

I just p/x'd my daughter's 65K mile 2007 Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 (with optional, and fully working :) a/c). Owned from new, full dealer service history. Got £1100 for it.

People said I was mad not to sell it privately and a relative and a colleague were quite cross that I hadn't offered it to them as they thought it was a great little car. It had served us well, but....

It intermittantly went into limp mode. Fairly recognised issue on that car - throttle body. £400.

It squealed noticeably on startup, and actually did it all the time but wasn't noticeable over the noise of the engine. It wasn't the aux belt and it doesn't have a tensioner. Garage suspected alternator or a/c compressor. Both expensive on that car but weren't sure.

The dash computer / radio display intermittantly went off - Goodness knows what that might cost to diss-assemble and fix.

It would have needed 4 new tyres before winter.

Its next service (8yrs which assumes 100K miles) is very expensive if done by the book - needed to keep the Mitsubishi Assistance Plan going - as it needs the in-tank fuel filter changing.

There's no way I'd have sold that car to someone I know, or am ever likely to see again. Dealer told us they would ship it off to auction, but within a few days we saw it being driven and a tax-check showed it had been taxed for 12mths, which makes me think someone bought it intending to keep it for a while. I just hope they're not too disappointed as the above issues reveal themselves.

Kas are rust-buckets anyway. I asked the tester at my local MOT station what the worst car was that they see regularly and he said Ford Ka

A decent Focus would be my choice

I suspect part of the reason for this has more to do with the simplicity of the Ka. Lot's of really old ones about (and also the old 90s Micra).

The economics of keeping one one the road means that they run until they rot rather than being ditched because of an expensive electronics or electrical problem.

I suspect part of the reason for this has more to do with the simplicity of the Ka. Lot's of really old ones about (and also the old 90s Micra).

The economics of keeping one one the road means that they run until they rot rather than being ditched because of an expensive electronics or electrical problem.

Do you really think there's lots of old ones around? You hear of a lot being scrapped due to rust.

Just for interest (and plenty of mentions of rust) here's a Pistonhead's Shed of the Week - a 2004 Ka that was agrand a year ago. And it's had its clutch replaced! RE: Shed of the Week: Ford SportKa - PistonHeads

As mentioned previously , recently we looked at around 30 - 40 small cars for my daughter when she just passed her test.

All of these small cars attract a premium price (or the sellers think they do) at present due to them being the only cars that can be insured by a new young driver.

We looked at Ka`s which were by far the rustiest of the lot (filler cap + around the B pillar and the noisiest in the engine dept (OHV). Corsas were stupidly expensive for what you were getting as the young boys wanted them . Fiestas were also sought after and were sold as soon as they were advertised. One car I did consider was a Hyundai Getz are they were cheap as chips due to some people being unable to look past the badge , at the moment.

We eventually settled on an `06 Clio Campus, good wee car with dirt cheap spares which is just as well as it may need a clutch next due to the way Penelope Pitstop drives and 40+ to the gallon.

Kenny

As an update - the card provider have agreed to investigate. I've already sent them a good amount of 'evidence' and today they've asked for a copy of the advert - which I don't have as it was online and no longer exists. They've also asked for a copy of the letter that tells the seller 'the goods are available for collection'. Not sure how necessary that is as by requesting a refund I thought that would infer that the goods are indeed available to be returned to him. I've sent that today along with some mobile phone records to show conversations between the dealer, the warranty company and I.

Feel like Ironside - I'll update again if folk are still interested

Re comments on Warranty....as a Motor Trader I can tell you that no warranty company will pay out within days of a warranty being issued as clearly there was a fault prior to the car being sold....or that's the way the warranty company will see it and I don't blame them for that.

Decent Traders would have taken it on the chin and unwound the deal...end of story.

Sadly it would appear that you are dealing with a fly by night Trader.

Just out of interest, was type of location was it purchased from....a home trader, proper site, etc etc?

... if I were to get a refund under s75 I wonder what I'd have to/be able to do with the vehicle? As in I wonder who it would technically belong to? That's another avenue I shall approach and let you know about!

The finance company will advise you what to do with the car.

...cars are designed to last 10 years...

My ML will be 10 years old this November.

It's done 48K and I've owned it since I bought it ex-demo (with under 200 miles on the clock).

Some things have deteriorated with age - the paint has peeled on the "D" pillars - a regular W163 problem - solved by a cheap vinyl wrap.

The alloy wheels were in need of refurb - but I bought new 19" alloys and the car's appearance has benefitted, as well as handling been transformed compared to the old 17" wheels with deep sidewalls. That cost me £1500 including Vredestein tyres. Wheels are not OEM but from a German manufacturer with a good reputation (DRC)

The headlights have gone a bit "milky" - new headlights purchased and will be fired soon. Parts £200 from ebay. Pattern parts not OEM - but should be fine.

The windscreen washers need sorting. I believe that a blow through with an air line is appropriate.

Minor corrosion on the tailgate - I've been quoted £300 for respray by a local firm with good reputation.

Other than that, it's going fine. I certainly expect it to last several more years - hopefully another 10.

Repairs so far work out at £200 a year - hardly scary.

I realise that a Mercedes is made (hopefully) to a better standard than a Ford KA, but a car's lifetime is surely also due to the care and usage it has had over the ownership period.

* (a note on reasonable time, your 10 year figure, while not contested earlier sounds way too little for me. I would expect a modern, cheap, car to last 25 years or so. Our very own government has removed the automated 25-year cutoff for tax discs for "old" cars as they last so much longer. A premium car like a merc, I would expect to last 30-40 years with normal use, much longer if cherished.)
M.

Agreed wholeheartedly. My ML is not exactly cherished - it's parked outdoors, jet washed every couple of months and used regularly - but it's not abused and I don't do much mileage. Barring accidents or catastrophic breakdown, I expect to have it for another 10 years at least.

Vlad said:
Re comments on Warranty....as a Motor Trader I can tell you that no warranty company will pay out within days of a warranty being issued as clearly there was a fault prior to the car being sold....or that's the way the warranty company will see it and I don't blame them for that. Decent Traders would have taken it on the chin and unwound the deal...end of story. Sadly it would appear that you are dealing with a fly by night Trader. Just out of interest, was type of location was it purchased from....a home trader, proper site, etc etc?
it was and is a proper site vlad, from an individual still regularly trading and offering warranties on the cars he sells. Not so much fly-by-night as brainless tit that should know at least some of my rights as well as I do - given that it's him that'll likely be chased by my card company through his business

it was and is a proper site vlad, from an individual still regularly trading and offering warranties on the cars he sells. Not so much fly-by-night as brainless tit that should know at least some of my rights as well as I do - given that it's him that'll likely be chased by my card company through his business

Just out of interest, have you searched google archives for the advert?
I was informed years ago that every web page is archived, for future reference. Even websites that went extinct years ago can often still be found.
Issues regarding this have come up recently, when people have tried to get stuff about them removed.
May be worth a search, as advert may be still out there?
I assume you have been through your own internet history, assuming you do not auto delete?

Neil

dozypillock said:
Just out of interest, have you searched google archives for the advert? I was informed years ago that every web page is archived, for future reference. Even websites that went extinct years ago can often still be found. Issues regarding this have come up recently, when people have tried to get stuff about them removed. May be worth a search, as advert may be still out there? I assume you have been through your own internet history, assuming you do not auto delete? Neil
Neil, I haven't done that - is it easy enough? Search history has indeed gone, but only links to a now defunct page anyway I think?

Neil, I haven't done that - is it easy enough? Search history has indeed gone, but only links to a now defunct page anyway I think?

Put the dealers website into here : https://archive.org/web/

You may be lucky and get a snapshot of the site during the time the car was advertised.

As you say brainless tit, and sadly what gives the motor trade a bad name.....frustrating!

Vlad said:
As you say brainless tit, and sadly what gives the motor trade a bad name.....frustrating!
thankfully that was probably the 10th second hand vehicle I've bought and despite the odd snag here and there, never a major issue. Went out and got a different ford Ka a couple of weeks later with no dramas. Game of chance eh

thankfully that was probably the 10th second hand vehicle I've bought and despite the odd snag here and there, never a major issue. Went out and got a different ford Ka a couple of weeks later with no dramas. Game of chance eh

Over the past 15 years I bought quite a few cars from Car Giant (previously The Great Trade Centre), never had a problem.

I got my daughter an Audi A1 about 18 months ago which was £13k , within a few months the
Air con wouldn't work so we took it to Audi
as you would and was hoping the garage we got it from would stand to the work which was £500
They said they would but would have to go to
a dealership that he knew and had a mate there ,
By this time Audi Sheffield had already started work as my daughter needed her car for work ,
Alas they wouldn't stand to the cost as he said
he agreed to have it mended but at his chosen
dealer , we stood to the £500 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom