Rubber steering boot in engine bay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AANDYY

Car
E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
Not 100% sure of terminology here.
In the engine bay on my car there is a rubber steering boot on the steering shaft coming through the bulk head, mines split:crazy:

Is this a diy job, I'm fairly confident, I've done wishbones and CV boots before etc.

:D

Thanks for that, does it let alot of noise through?
I did think my car could have been quieter.

It's right next to the exhaust and if split at the bottom will be split more further up so does let a noticable amount of noise in.

How much is the part please? :)

Hello Andy,
I changed mine about 6 month ago, not difficult, take a little time though. The important part is to make sure the steering wheel is locked to keep it in the right place. It's easier when 2 person when putting bak the shatf but I manage myself easily enough.
The part is about a tenner and you'll find a difference in the air of the cabin as the fumes from the engine will be blocked from entering.
All the best.
Olivier

Just reading the useful sticky link, I did not put the car on a ramp, I did it all from above. Again, make sure the wheels are studdy and don't turn and take the key out to lock the sterringwheel in position.
:)

Never thought of this am now going out for a look maybe where the funny smell is coming from in my car:D

Lynall

Andy, did you had a time fix it?
All my electronics now work on the car, beside the glows relay or a burst glow, but now as the pump is changed/ coded, it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom