Rust and Goodwill - what are my options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How recent was the last service on this car?

The car was serviced Oct 12 I think.
Based on looking at the service history of the car and what the previous owner told me, I would expect the next service to be due around Dec 13 - dependent on the mileage I do. Not sure what service that will be but I was led to understand they tell you what needs doing when you bring it in.

I am sorry if my tone offended you Doodle - maybe I was a bit defensive. I did ask after all for advice - so I should not shoot the messenger.
I know it is not black and white but I think I have some grounds for making the claim related to the age and history of the car. Lets just agree to disagree.

I should add that I am awaiting a decision on the tailgate - not been turned down yet.

Is it likely that the rust has only appeared in the last 6 months i.e. there was no trace when M-B last worked on the car? If there were signs of it then and it wasn't dealt with at the time you would have to wonder why not.

Funnily enough MK, I do think that you have grounds for a claim too. It's just that putting it to the people in charge in the right way often yields better results - if you know what criteria the MB "paperwork" needs to get a yes stamp, you have a better chance of putting your case in such a way to hit those targets. This is where my comments about building and maintaining a relationship and history with the dealers comes in. The "Oh, this is disappointing, I had expected better of a Mercedes" carries a bit more gravitas too :thumb:

The tailgate should be a yes, given the location, and I think you would be hard done by if refused on that. Getting an agreement to that might also aid in pushing for the arches too, perhaps with the view that if the bootlid is going unaided, what chance did the arches have?

Remember, work the system, don't fight it :rock:

Last edited:
Funnily enough MK, I do think that you have grounds for a claim too. It's just that putting it to the people in charge in the right way often yields better results - if you know what criteria the MB "paperwork" needs to get a yes stamp, you have a better chance of putting your case in such a way to hit those targets. This is where my comments about building and maintaining a relationship and history with the dealers comes in. The "Oh, this is disappointing, I had expected better of a Mercedes" carries a bit more gravitas too :thumb:

The tailgate should be a yes, given the location, and I think you would be hard done by if refused on that. Getting an agreement to that might also aid in pushing for the arches too, perhaps with the view that if the bootlid is going unaided, what chance did the arches have?

Remember, work the system, don't fight it :rock:

and... I will say it again. It also depends very much on who you get on the day/phone/email/letter.

I have found this to both my expense ;^( and my benefit :^) when dealing with MB. In one instance two individuals within MB looking at the same issue came to completely polarised responses independently of one another. Obviously I accepted the result that favoured me. My case had been mistakenly duplicated by MB.

As we have seen on this very forum warranty claims and MB do not make good bed fellows all of the time. Some have succeeded but they appear to be in a minority.

Good luck.

BTB 500 - yes paint measurements.

Doodle - I am not stupid - I understand you - just don't agree - obviously.

I suspect MBUK will readjust your understanding.

What warranty are you talking about, the three year paintwork one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom