Service Interval

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mmmm,

I'm not sure if I've just been lucky, but in my old S-Class, I did over 150K, and didn' get i service from MB once! I didn' have one prob with the engine....

Nothing major anyway! :)

regards,
Bob.

Originally posted by Brian WH
My car said 13300 next service when I purchased it in January.

Kept around that figure till June when I went on Holiday.

After doing 2300 in France the next service now says 13930.

Update

The car has now done 9893 miles
Service B in 4569 miles

= 14462miles. Gets better every day.:bannana: :bannana:

So where do you stand with warranties then? Most manufacters insist on 10k miles of 12 month service intervals else you lose all rights.

If you only service the car at random intervals potentially lasting up to two years are you still covered?

Also, followed a new E270CDi the other day and every time it pulled away I left in a plume of blue smoke. Is that normal? I would expect that under hard acceleration but not general use??

Andy I think everyone is talking mainly about the onboard computer program that informs the driver when a service is required.(unsure of the correct term?) this is a calculation of miles, time and type of driving
Without this piece of trickery you would have to abide by the set in stone service intervals, to stay within your warranty.

I have completed 1200 miles(all around town driving...with bi-xenons on...lol) in my w203 and the thingie is telling me i will be due for a service in 9000 miles.

Joe

Originally posted by joe
... the onboard computer program that informs the driver when a service is required.(unsure of the correct term?) this is a calculation of miles, time and type of driving...

MB call it ASSYST. I forget what it actually stands for.

*EDIT*
Taken from MBSPY
ASSYST
Active Service System
Engines are equipped with a microcomputer that monitors the aging of the motor oil via data transmitted by sensors and calculates an individualized maintenance plan for the engine: A digital indicator in the cockpit notifies the driver of the number of kilometers remaining before the next maintenance check.

All engines fitted e.g. in the C-class (W203) sports coupé are equipped as standard with the Active Service System ASSYST, which registers the varying operating loads individually and takes these into account for scheduling engine maintenance. On the basis of sensor-derived data such as oil level, oil temperature, coolant temperature, engine speed, road speed and engine load, a micro-computer calculates the actual load on the engine oil and works out a servicing schedule for the engine which reflects this. The central display in the instrument cluster tells the driver how many kilometres can be covered and how many days or weeks remain before the next maintenance service is due. The Active Service System includes an oil level sensor which, as well as warning the driver when the oil level is too low or too high and indicating the amount in litres which needs to be added or drained off, also knows when the driver has topped up with fresh oil and extends the oil change interval accordingly.

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Andy Stanton
So where do you stand with warranties then? Most manufacters insist on 10k miles of 12 month service intervals else you lose all rights.

If you only service the car at random intervals potentially lasting up to two years are you still covered?

Also, followed a new E270CDi the other day and every time it pulled away I left in a plume of blue smoke. Is that normal? I would expect that under hard acceleration but not general use??

As Steve so rightly said I am talking about ASSYST.

The warranty is based on you following the computors recommendations, and as stated is based on driving technique, mileage and use. Mine is slowly improving so I must be doing something right.

The Smokie E270CDI is not normal, despite what some people will argue. The manangement system need adjusting as he is getting more fuel than he needs on acceleration.:crazy:

Re: Re: Service Interval

Originally posted by Brian WH
Update

The car has now done 9893 miles
Service B in 4569 miles

= 14462miles. Gets better every day.:bannana: :bannana:

I've done 17,000 miles now and it still says I have 2000 to go!

And I don't see any smoke from mine unless I 'boot it' quite hard but its hard to tell from the drivers seat.

Twice now it has taken 12K miles for my ASSYST to count down from 10,000 to 0.

At least it is consistent. 12K isn't bad I guess for 90's car I guess.

GrahamC230K said:
Twice now it has taken 12K miles for my ASSYST to count down from 10,000 to 0.

At least it is consistent. 12K isn't bad I guess for 90's car I guess.

Not bad at all mate. :rock:

Same here roughly 12k since the last service ... although mine has counted from 10k down to -500 now, and is beeping and flashing at me infuriatingly every time I turn the key ! Soon to be remedied tomorrow though ;)

S.

One of the main factors for the service interval seems to be average speed, the higher it is the further the interval gets. If I encounter a lot of slow traffic, town driving etc the "Service in xxxx miles" figure counts down faster than the odometer clocks up (so the overall interval between services gets shorter), on a lengthy clear motorway run making 'good progress' ;) (all too rare) it counts down less than half as fast as the odometer counts up. Clearly MB wants owners to drive as fast as possible all the time. :D

oils are so good now it not nessecary to change oils as often. and most cars now using synthetic based olis which are very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom