Servicing costs from independent garages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ssbaby

Hi all,

I am considering buying a CLK 320 but want to know more about the servicing costs.

All I hear is that it's ridiculously high at the main dealers. Does anyone know of good independent garages in the Staffordshire area?

What about the price for a basic and full service?

Can anyone give me some prices for the parts that they have had replaced from having a service?

I was also surprised that some insurers wouldn't let me have an online insurance quote unless I had a tracker. Although I found that Tesco would do it and it worked out cheaper in the long run because I wouldn't have to pay for the tracker subscription.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi all,

I am considering buying a CLK 320 but want to know more about the servicing costs.

All I hear is that it's ridiculously high at the main dealers. Does anyone know of good independent garages in the Staffordshire area?

Can anyone give me some prices for the parts that they have had replaced from having a service?

I was also surprised that some insurers wouldn't let me have an online insurance quote unless I had a tracker. Although I found that Tesco would do it and it worked out cheaper in the long run because I wouldn't have to pay for the tracker subscription.

Thanks,
Andy
try virgin insurance cannt help with the other :D regerds jon

Where abouts in Staffordshire are you?

As has been pointed out you can get a discount on older cars at most MB dealers. Undiscounted allow £450 for a big serice and £250 for a little 'un. Ask for a discount and supply your own oil and you could knock off £100+ and £150+ respectively I reckon.

Auto transmission oil, brake fluid and brakes will bump up the price. Not really cars to run on a tightish budget though - few are these days though!!

MB Stoke are very good - my great father-in-law swears by them. Most of the other dealers in Staffordshire are part of Drayton Group which are generally well regarded - only exception I can think of is MB Tamworth.

I read on this forum recently of an independent called Merx (?) in Stoke. There's also Lanes of Lichfield which is an indy too - but I've not been impressed on the two occasions I've spoken to them.

Thanks,
Andy
Hi Andy,
How old is this CLK please?

I'm asking because of the tracker question as this is ususally only required on high value vehicles.

Regards
John

The answer on servicing and insurance is to shop around for the best price. If you are prepared to do this you will save quite a bit of money but its never going to be like running a Ford or Vauxhall. Some folks reckon it's worth the effort/expense tho.:bannana:

Servicing is the CHEAPEST part of running a car....Depreciation is the killer.....so one has to look at TOTAL running costs. Often the more expensive car can in the long run NOT prove that more expensive...

Or at least that's what I kid myself....:bannana:

I read on this forum recently of an independent called Merx (?) in Stoke.
Merx is correct - do a post search and there's several positive comments about them.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about ;)

PJ
W124 coupe owner

It's where the car you drive off the forecourt is the most desirable car on the lot with the most sought after colour and options but when you come to trade it in it is suddenly .....too common.....no call for these now.....but we will do you a favour .....price.

Regarding Trackers being demanded by insurers for MB cars: I've never been asked for one on my various BMWs including series 3 convertibles. Are insurers implying that MBs are easier to steal? Or perhaps (tongue in cheek) more desirable?

Do you have to pay to become part of the club or is it automatic qualification once the car reaches the required age?
Thanks

It's automatic, no charge.

Regarding Trackers being demanded by insurers for MB cars: I've never been asked for one on my various BMWs including series 3 convertibles. Are insurers implying that MBs are easier to steal? Or perhaps (tongue in cheek) more desirable?
It's a number of factors, value being a major issue. I would expect DirectLine to require it for a NEW 7 series and the more expensive NEW 5 series.

John

Hi all,

Thanks,
Andy

garages are short of work at the moment ... 04 onwards cars to relilable:eek:

Andy,

For a very good indi in Staffs then look no further than Merx, the web link is below.

http://www.merx.gb.com/

The look after my ML and an A service is around £112.00

Dad has been with Drayton or over 20 years and have always given him frist class service but at a price.

Independant servicing

Has anyone tried these people, at least they have prices that they're willing to advertise. Reading the small print there seems to be some extras like for decent oil etc. Overall should be cheaper though.

http://www.prestigecarservicing.com/carservicing.php?make=mercedes

Feedback from anyone who's tried them and in which area would be appreciated.

Regards
Brian

C220CDI Estate, Avantgarde Sport Pack

Has anyone tried these people, at least they have prices that they're willing to advertise. Reading the small print there seems to be some extras like for decent oil etc. Overall should be cheaper though.

http://www.prestigecarservicing.com/carservicing.php?make=mercedes

Feedback from anyone who's tried them and in which area would be appreciated.

Regards
Brian

C220CDI Estate, Avantgarde Sport Pack

For the record. Nothing to do with me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom