• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Servicing S204 - Time Related Items

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
On Thursday I'm swopping my S203 for a June 2008 S204 C220 with 60k miles (and lots of toys!)
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
. MB Ashford have to give it a B service before delivery, so today I've entered the car's registration date and mileage on the MB ESS site and printed the service schedule. Unlike the one for my S203, it does not show items that require changing every 2 years (brake fluid) or 4 years (fuel filter, air filter etc), so I'm a bit confused. The printed B service is little more than an oil/filter change and basic checks, which surprises me.

I also enquired about the need for an ATF/filter change, and have been advised by MB Ashford that the 5 speed auto box is sealed for life so ATF change is not required.

Can anyone advise about the above - I want to be "fully armed" when I collect the car at noon on Thursday.

TIA.

36 views, not a single response - what's the jackanory?? I collect the car Thursday mid-day, 3 months short of her 4th birthday, MB Ashford have to do a B service before delivery - I want to know if they also have to do time related stuff like brake fluid, fuel filter, air filter etc!

Please someone, I've searched and cannot find a listing of time related items, don't let me down!!

When you entered the details in the ESS, did you play with the date of first registration? I ask because the car isn't quite 4 years old so I suspect that ESS is not picking up on things that would be specified as required if it had tripped over the magic 48 months. If I put in a registration date of 20/03/2008 for a C220CDI S204 and then expand the "Service Operations" panel it lists...
Service 4 - Every 2 years

Check bodywork for paintwork damage - The country-specific rules for mobility and body shell complaints apply. (To be conducted by service advisor)

Chassis panels and load-bearing body panels: Check for signs of damage and corrosion (Check visible area) - The country-specific rules for mobility and body shell complaints apply. (To be conducted by service advisor)

Replace brake fluid

Service 8 - Every 45,000 miles/4 years

Replace air filter element

Service 11 - Every 45,000 miles/4 years

Replace fuel filter
The items in red don't appear if I set a registration date of 01/06/2008.

BTW, enjoy your new car!

Well the B service does not include all the time / mileage related items. They are additional items and cost extra.

Without looking at the service book you dont when them items were last done and if they require doing.

Edit: Phils listed them above so you can see what should be done. But check the service book as the cars on 60k for example the fuel and air filter could have been done last year if the car was already at or close to 45k.

Last edited:
I know from past experience that the time related items are not included in the basic A and B services, hence my question! Thanks guys - as I expected, MB Ashford need to show that brake fluid, air filter and fuel filter are not required - or change them!

Looking forward to the 204 - I've said for a while that it's nicer than the 203, but was waiting for second hand prices to get down to my budget. I was really surprised to see this one, especially with it's very high spec (Command, Linguatronic, hidden tow bar, phone prep, heated seats, leather, easy-pack, electric tailgate, pre-safe, tyre pressure loss warning!) at the price. We also love the colour, so just had to go for it!

Thanks again for the help.

Chris

I also enquired about the need for an ATF/filter change, and have been advised by MB Ashford that the 5 speed auto box is sealed for life so ATF change is not required.

I think that's probably right for the 5 speed box. It was sealed for life on S/W203 and then changing the fluid was brought back a few thousand VIN numbers after my car so the dealer wouldn't do it under the service plan. Then it was dropped again for the S/W204.

When I put your approx details in it says:
Service 20 - Once 31,000 miles/3 years
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (with transmission 722.9 - NAG2)

..which is the 7 speed box.

You could do with getting fuel and air filter changed - they ought to be done as the car has exceeded the mileage for them, and they're a chunky price. Brake fluid they'll probably say it's too early.

Last edited:
Thanks again - thankfully the car has full MB (I think MB Asford!) service history wuth an owner that had a "do whatever is necessary" attitude, I've asked for a printout of the full service history (invoices) so I should easily be able to see what's been done when.

Had amusement with the salesman when first looking at the car, he switched the ignition on and flipped to the "next service" item - due in 6500 miles. OK he said, that's about 1 years mileage for you - to which I replied that it would be a B service with time related items like brake fluid, air and fuel filters, thus probably £600+. Then, when sorting out the "cost to swop", his sales manager said they would have to service the car before it left them - and I smiled!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom