Sky TV walk away deal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The best deal I got from Sky was when I walked away and stayed away!

A year later, I don't miss it.

We have freeview, all the catch-up stuff, netflix, amazon and NowTV.

I've no idea how some of it works or which TV has what but the Mrs never complains that she's missing anything and I can cast youtube to the kitchen TV on Friday nights for beers and music vids so am happy enough.

^^ A has-been with whom the media still seem inexplicably fascinated to the detriment of other players who are far better.

^^^^ While normally I agree with you, at time of writing (11.05pm last night) Tiger was within a whisker of winning a Major (the PGA) for the first time in ten years, coming in only second.

But my point was: every pair playing the PGA could be watched, without adverts, for FREE, on www.PGA.com. No SKY subscription required.

It's the 21st century.

I recently cancelled my sky subscription after 8 happy years with them, it went downhill pretty quickly.

As you Chris, I have Prime Video, Netflix, Apple TV, etc and use Youtube a lot too, so we've just found ourselves using sky less and less.

So I called to cancel, they did all the usual retention ploys, but I made it clear I wouldn't keep the service if it was £5/month, as I just don't use it and want the STB and dish gone. They cancelled, and we parted company happy.

Then, I started getting plagued by calls from an 0800 number which when I answered, nobody was there. I googled it and every "who called me" site said with pretty much 100% consensus that it was Sky's retention dept, with lots saying "scam", blah blah.

I ended up wasting about 4 hours of my life going round in circles on the phone several times to Sky to get them to stop contacting me. Eventually I had to "exercise my right to erasure", which wasn't straight forward either, and the guy on the phone even changed my details to fake ones so it'd be impossible to contact me even via a software glitch.

On one of the calls, I needed to get through to the cancellation department again (a few days later) and the initial Indian call centre you're put through to was pretty rude... "Can I speak to the cancellation team please?". "Why do you want to cancel?", "I've already cancelled", so he put me through to the team to start me up again assuming I'd had a change of heart. :wallbash: So around we go again. "Why do you want to cancel", "I"ve already cancelled, there's an issue with the cancellation though, so I need to speak to that team can you just put me through please?" "How can you cancel an account that's already been cancelled?" :mad: Rage face at this point...

What a way to spoil a good relationship with last ditch attempts to grab some money.

You sound like me, or vice versa. Once I've got something in my mind that needs fixing, I won't stop until it's done. > Direct Line sent me through notice of House Insurance auto renewal. £200 up on last year (but no mention of what I paid last year). So now I have a nag popping up on my phone every 2 days, until the renewal date - Change House Insurance. And I will. Faceless fnckwits :thumb:

And that's the thing that troubles me. The folks who put these policies in place are amongst us. They aren't aliens. It's Tony from next door, or Sue from across the road. Nice people. 2.2 kids. Good fun when we get together. But power crazed, bonus hungry, selfish tw@ts as soon as they walk through those revolving office doors.

IPTV is the future.

This whole business of getting a deal from Sky can get a little out of control,a few years ago I decided not to have sky so called up to cancel and then I got a series of people making offers which I refused then a guy said have it for £10 a month for 6 months,at the end of 6 months I said I will cancel and they extended it another 6 months,this went on 4 times in the end I used to say things like,so you are giving me this deal because I am such a good customer but I am paying you hardly anything they eventually said I would need to pay a lot more and I cancelled,I do of course still watch sky.

This whole business of getting a deal from Sky can get a little out of control,a few years ago I decided not to have sky so called up to cancel and then I got a series of people making offers which I refused then a guy said have it for £10 a month for 6 months,at the end of 6 months I said I will cancel and they extended it another 6 months,this went on 4 times in the end I used to say things like,so you are giving me this deal because I am such a good customer but I am paying you hardly anything they eventually said I would need to pay a lot more and I cancelled,I do of course still watch sky.

How does that work then?

And that's the thing that troubles me. The folks who put these policies in place are amongst us. They aren't aliens. It's Tony from next door, or Sue from across the road. Nice people. 2.2 kids. Good fun when we get together. But power crazed, bonus hungry, selfish tw@ts as soon as they walk through those revolving office doors.

It's not personal, it's just business.

IPTV is the future.
+1
APK's are the way to go.
Get an entertainment box (£30 - 60), download a good APK(Terrarium/Mobdro) from the Google Playstore and stream movies/tv programmes and live TV to your hearts content. Just make sure you have a VPN that doesn't keep logs.
Naturally, I don't condone streaming copyrighted material like Sky/BT/NBC/Fox Sports etc etc. That is illegal.:rolleyes:

Just signed up to SKY Q today and upgraded package too.

I've restarted my Ladrokes account & racing post subs ...so I can't afford any of it...

But its totally unreliable in my experience, assuming you're referring to KODI

No no. Its moved on now.

Just added a 4k Apple TV and a Sky mini box. Not a bad deal for the mini box. £20 delivered, plus £12 a month for their multi-screen sub, which includes 4k and 2 additional non TV devices. The latter useful for kids at college.

Problem is we bought a new LG Oled TV last weekend to go with it but was told yesterday that it was no longer in stock and 'would we like to upgrade'. They offered a 2018 £3k 55" Oled LG for £1900 plus an additional £500 LG cash back. On the surface it sounded like a very good (too good?) deal, but given the 'out of stock' experience we walked away.

I've heard Richer Sounds are good. So will try them. But lots of their TV's require a showroom visit. Use my feet? What are they thinking of!

Just added a 4k Apple TV

I got this to replace my Sky service and haven't looked back. With the omission of 4OD (which is apparently being developed, but not landed yet for TvOS), it covers everything we use/watch all in one place. It's brilliant, and fast as fook.

We just bought a 55" 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision TV to pair it with. It's only LCD, OLED was 4x the price and out of our price range but coming from a big heavy 10 year old 1080p 47" it's a massive upgrade and energy saving too.

None of my HDMI cables were of high enough standard to support Dolby Vision though, so right now it's at 4K HDR which I believe requires a cable supporting 18Gb/s, but HDMI 2.1 supports 48Gb/s which is apparently what's required for Dolby Vision. So I've ordered the Belkin cable that supports this. Apple TV is offering to enable Dolby Vision but my existing cables, the image goes all screwy. Fingers crossed when the new cable arrives.

I've used Richer sounds for 20 years and met the owner Julian. I don't know if it's every branch but the one I use gives ya free coffee and has a freezer full of ice creams all free and will pay your parking, regardless of if you buy anything. They do seem to operate more old school values, like staying late past closing time if you want to come and audition or collect some equipment, etc.

I got this to replace my Sky service and haven't looked back. With the omission of 4OD (which is apparently being developed, but not landed yet for TvOS), it covers everything we use/watch all in one place. It's brilliant, and fast as fook.

We just bought a 55" 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision TV to pair it with. It's only LCD, OLED was 4x the price and out of our price range but coming from a big heavy 10 year old 1080p 47" it's a massive upgrade and energy saving too.

None of my HDMI cables were of high enough standard to support Dolby Vision though, so right now it's at 4K HDR which I believe requires a cable supporting 18Gb/s, but HDMI 2.1 supports 48Gb/s which is apparently what's required for Dolby Vision. So I've ordered the Belkin cable that supports this. Apple TV is offering to enable Dolby Vision but my existing cables, the image goes all screwy. Fingers crossed when the new cable arrives.

I've used Richer sounds for 20 years and met the owner Julian. I don't know if it's every branch but the one I use gives ya free coffee and has a freezer full of ice creams all free and will pay your parking, regardless of if you buy anything. They do seem to operate more old school values, like staying late past closing time if you want to come and audition or collect some equipment, etc.

What size is ya 4K Apple Tele Mike? :)

Re: Richer Sounds. We bought a clearance TV from them in 2015. They threw in a 6 year warranty. (Usually just 12 Months on clearance items)

In the last 3 Months a very bright strip has appeared at the extreme left and right of the screen. It also gets very hot at these areas. I phoned up on a Monday, a tech guy came out on the Wednesday. Took it away (replacement screen required), and left a temporary TV for us you use.

They’ve just phoned to say they’ll be here tomorrow to set up our fixed Tele. Great efficient service from Richer Sounds. :thumb:

Thanks! Following yours and Ant's RS recommendation, have taken the plunge and bought a 49" LED LG, plus Sonus sound bar from Richer Sounds online. It's not our main viewing room, so the smaller size should work better. We've also got a giant old Samsung 1080p which I bought in 08. Can't bring myself to replace that given it still has a great picture and it's only 18 months or so since I sent 2 motorised B&O widescreen CRTs to the tip :confused:. No secondary market for them alas.

I've also been playing around with the Sky Q and Sky mini. Looks like I can run both via Wifi. Previously the main Sky Q box was hard wired. Useful as this allows us much greater location flexibility. I was assuming the main Sky Q box would need to be hard wired. Apparently not.

Going to see how it works out with cable before buying more. But did sneak in a cheapo from Amazon just in case. :dk:

Last edited by a moderator:
John Lewis are also good, we got our new Sony OLED (KD65AF8) from them! Very impressed with both the TV and John Lewis. :)

Also been impressed with SKQ Q, the interface is very nice. Not ‘THAT’ big an upgrade compared to the SKY+HD though. Although at least you can watch some UHD content which is good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom