• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sl500 or sl350

Ajhayward

Car
Sl500
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to decide between a Sl500 and a Sl350.

Can someone share with me some pros and cons? I realise the suspension is. Problem, anything else?

I've had an m3 e46 before and just sold my Audi TT dsg 3.2 so I'm actively looking.

After a convertible with some luxury

Thanks Adam

I know ones bigger than the other,

But is there any difference? To look out for? And pro's or cons between the 2?

The v8 500 is heavier than the v6 350. In really world driving there isn't much difference apart from the sound.
The 500 has the hydraulic suspension so can be expensive.
When I was looking for an SL I was undecided between r the 55,500 and 350. They are all the same inside apart from a few switches and maybe AC seats or small extras, nothing major.

The costs incurred for servicing and mpg over ruled me getting a 500 or 55 as I don't drive like a nutter and just cruise.

I ended up with the best 350 with standard suspension. It does everything I need and more, it's debadged(not my doing) so everyone thinks it's a 500 anyway.

People will say get the v8 500 because it's a proper SL, but they'll also say have deep pockets. The 350s don't have as many worries.

I have no regrets getting a 350.

Engines aside the fundamental difference is only the ABC suspension although it was an option on the 350 so if you are trying to avoid ABC check before buying.

In my view ABC is worth having.

Mic

You have to go in with your eyes wide open when buying this model of SL.

The 350 is a great engine apart from the dreaded balancer shaft issue. The early ones, ie through to 2006 will at some stage suffer from the balancer shaft wearing and its an engine out job to replace it, even through the part itself is relatively inexpensive or it will suffer from various solenoids on the cam shafts packing up.

The 350 has standard coil suspension and avoids the hydraulic struts used on the 500.

Other problems....water leaks which can flood the electronics down in the bottom of the boot, which can cause the central locking control unit to pack up.....£600+ and the pump for the hood can also fry itself ££££

Juddering from the 7g gearbox which is often the torque convertor packing up.....not that common

I chose a 350 as I bought it new and it was a lot cheaper! also the ABC suspension was an issue for me

If buying second hand now Id not worry about 500 or 350...just buy the best one you can with as many (common to both models) issues sorted. MPG seems about the same as does servicing except the obvious extra spark plugs that need changing every 50k miles or so

You have to go in with your eyes wide open when buying this model of SL.

The 350 is a great engine apart from the dreaded balancer shaft issue. The early ones, ie through to 2006 will at some stage suffer from the balancer shaft wearing and its an engine out job to replace it, even through the part itself is relatively inexpensive or it will suffer from various solenoids on the cam shafts packing up.

The 350 has standard coil suspension and avoids the hydraulic struts used on the 500.

Other problems....water leaks which can flood the electronics down in the bottom of the boot, which can cause the central locking control unit to pack up.....£600+ and the pump for the hood can also fry itself ££££

Juddering from the 7g gearbox which is often the torque convertor packing up.....not that common

What balancer shaft issues. This is the first Ive heard of it:dk:

I have never been in a 350 so cannot compare but I can tell you that the 5.5 V8 is a superb motor and makes a fantastic noise (I have standard exhaust). ABC suspension gives superb ride and flat cornering.

I bought mine last summer as a weekend car and after 7 months and about 4500 miles absolutely nothing on it has gone wrong (touch wood!) Averaging about 22.5mpg, seen 27 mpg on a run.

I think these cars need to be driven and I therefore try to do so at least once a week.

What balancer shaft issues. This is the first Ive heard of it:dk:

Just do a quick search on this forum for balancer shaft issues or M272 engine, and you will find plenty of info on the issue.

Last edited:
I have just today bought a one owner low mileage 350 with the balancer shaft issue sorted. Put off the 500 because of ABC issues. I think in reality most of the time the 350 is more than enough.

I couldn't enjoy the ownership experience waiting for ABC problems which would probably occur at some stage.

It appears that being an early model ( nov 2003) my car has M112 engine which doesn't have the balancer sha ft problem. This is the first time I've been a beneficiary of having an early example. Had most other problems!

It appears that being an early model ( nov 2003) my car has M112 engine which doesn't have the balancer sha ft problem. This is the first time I've been a beneficiary of having an early example. Had most other problems!

The M112 is a robust well proven engine......essentially the same architecture as the M113 which is also robust and well proven.

I have both.

Mic

I recommend having a look at a review on You Tube entitled 'Mercedes-Benz SL500-REVIEW-finally affordable' which is quite amusing.

You've got a M272 engine....the M112's largest capacity was 3.2 and was used in cars such as the CLK, W210 E Classes etc.

The info on Wikipedia is wrong as it shows the SL350's being a M112 from 2003 to 2006...they are M272 engines and one of the first models they were fitted to were the R230 SL's in 2003.....the capacity on your SL350 should be 3498CC on your log book

In that case, I've learnt something new tonight....time for me to eat some humble pie.

Last edited:
Sod it I have just jumped straight in and bought a 500 , I will try it for a bit I can always move it on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom