SLK R170 Airbag ECU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1502

Car
SL60 AMG (Now sold)
Some help please.

My dad owns a 2001 or 2002 SLK 180K.

He has just taken it into a Mercedes dealer for a basic service. The Airbag warning light was apparently also on. I didn't realise this otherwise I would have looked into it sooner.

Apparently they have diagnosed it requiring a new airbag ECU and are quoting nearly £1,000 including the service. I think they've told him there will be a diagnsotics charge but they will discount it if he does it through them.

Am I right in thinking they've probably just read the fault codes and in which case the diagnostics should be about half an hour labour at most?

I've done a bit of reading but am not sure what's involved in this. I believe the fault could be due to a sensor, faulty wiring or loose connections or the ECU. Assuming it is the ECU I think a second hand one so long as the airbag in the car from which it was taken hasn't been deployed would be ok but I also read something about them being coded to the particular car. Second hand units are very cheap on ebay. I'm not sure wheher they need coding.

I think the unit is located in the centre console behind the ashtray. Is it easy to change?

I've suggested that he might wish to query the diagnostics charge, suggest they complet the service and if they charge say half an hour diagnostics, take the car away and look into his options.

Any idea how much an independent would charge to fit a new or second hand unit?

My worry is he will probably just go for it and spend a third of the value of the car!

the SRS control unit can be erased and configured to a different car but it requires Star in DEV mode which MB will not have access to so they will only offer a NEW part.

You can fit a used one and alter coding.

Thanks. I've tried telling them to call Merc and say not to do anything as they want to consider their options given the age of the car but they have said that as they told them to go ahead and they're ordering the part they are just going to let them get on with it. Parents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom