SLK Test drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Damn - missed it :( so - tell more........

Well they liked it, apart from the looks. great drive, handling, engine (SLK350). Unfortunately on test the 7G transmission got stuck in one gear, the electric seats and the roof started operating uncontrollably and the car threw a wobbly. Then when clarkson took it onto the circuit it 'broke'. Of course there were all the usual jokes about that just being normal mercedes build quality.

Not what one expects from a £35K car. Mercedes needs to get its act together and fast as its reputation for quality has disappeared down the toilet.

During my brief affair with the new SLK it performed faultlessly despite being driven in binary mode.

The fuel consumption was terrible, and it didn't have the willy warming airscarf but I do miss it. It certainly had a serious amount of grin factor! :D

One thing that did annoy me on the new SLK was the windbreaker (a fabric affair stretched accross the headrests).

At triple digit speeds it did have a tendency to come undone and flap about leaving me with 2 choices:

1) Pull over and hook the thing up again...

or

2) Order the passenger (if present) to release their seatbelt, turn around and sort it out - in the interest of maintaining spirited progress...

Guess which one I chose? :devil:

For 42k you could start and look at a Lexus SC430 ... now that is a nice car

Totally diferent class to the SLK and Rare as hens teeth if thats what floats your boat.

Those things are nealy as common as TT's where i live. Oh yes, and there as ugly as fatima whitbread chewing a wasp IMHO :D

Stu :)

Or you could always go for a Chevrolet SSR which has the folding metal roof and next year will have a 6.0 V8 producing 390HP (0-60 in 5 seconds)!!! :bannana:

dreamcruise.jpg

topuploop.gif

topdownloop.gif

stwat said:
Bluuuuurrrrgh!!!! Looks like a kit car gone wrong :eek:

Whatdaya expect It's American :D

Pammy is probably looking for something German.

Japanese wise... Z.com - but waaay too inexpensive for your allocated budget... you'll have enough change left to buy back your car.... now there's a thought ;)
two cars..

he he - glad to see you all having fun here :D

Sorry TIgger - but that Chevvy is just plain ugly - the colour doesn't help either :crazy:

Was talking to one of my staff today who saw TG last night. It has I think re-inforced my usual beliefe that any new model - more than a facelift - needs time to bed in first. Doesn't look like the new SLK will be any diff.

Looking forward to the test drive this aft - and the sun is shining - woo hoo - so top down :bannana: be interested to see how it feels. I want to see a bit more on how reliable the 7G transmission goes.

I saw one of the new SLK's on the road this morning - couldn't tell which one though - but the young guy driving it had a massive massive grin :D

weeeeeeeeeeeeeell - when I got there I already knew the new SLK was out - coz I'd just driven past it!! :eek: BUT there was another toy for me to play with while I was waiting for it to come back - an 02 SLK32 AMG :cool: :D - now that was fun! and very very tempting. It didn't half fly up the by-pass :D now I would like to have that for a weekend to get really used to it :cool:

As for the new 'un - exactly as I thought - the 200 just does not cut the mustard for me. It is nice enough but I need the bite of something a bit more - to be fair - was never going to compare the the AMG :rolleyes: The engine noise just wasn;t there, it was a tad slow on the uptake but that's prob coz it's still too new. Be good to see what it was like in about 5000 miles. This one was £35k as it was well specced up - but given a choice between that and mine - no choice - mine all the way. Now a choice between mine and the AMG - oooooooooooooooooh :eek:

So after chatting with the salesguy - he's going to let me know if they get a 350 in to sell and will let me have a play with that. Even he's not that impressed with the 200 but like me - he prefers something a bit meatier with the sound of the V6(V8 was nice). This one has the sports suspension and 17" on which did make for a much harder ride - plus the seats are harder than mine anyway - Portzy - you might have to watch for that!

There's also another price increase on the cards in October - so if anyone is thinking of getting a new MB - now's the time to order it.

I really fancy one of those new SLK350's for my girlfriend so have been avoiding going to the dealer when they are open... I hope they don't call... as I know what would happen...;) Resistance is futile... give in to your desires...

Yes, just as I thought, they were bound to suceed, and they have. Not, I hasten to add though, the 200. As Pammy says it just doesnt cut it and that is the problem, theres no 'kick in the back' when you floor it which I rather hoped there would be :( .. My last 'roadster' drive was a Mk1 Midget so that speaks volumes about the 200!!!!!. There's confirmed talk of an in-between model coming soon which will still be 6 cylider, Vee, but maybe 3.0Ltr to sit between the two present ones. The wait is about anywhere between 12-18 months so that sits just nice with my 50th next year.

Anyways, all the other box's have been ticked, in bold, sooooo its off back to sunny Harrogate fo me next week with a wet pen and a deposit cheque for Mr Benz. :D :D :D

I am test driving the SLK350 next week!!

Tan, can/will you let us know how you get on?. My minds made up, I'm having one, but any gen on the engine would be much appreciated :D

Regards, Portzy.

P

before you order - why don't you ring round other MB's dealers to see who might have a 350 you can test?

Got to be worth that investment of time.

Just a thought.

P

portzy said:
Tan, can/will you let us know how you get on?. My minds made up, I'm having one, but any gen on the engine would be much appreciated :D

Regards, Portzy.

Will do, the drive is tmr (Saturday) morning at MB Dartford. The car has now been sold but will be a demonstrator until october.

pammy said:
P

before you order - why don't you ring round other MB's dealers to see who might have a 350 you can test?

Got to be worth that investment of time.

Just a thought.

P
Funnily enough I've just been to Derwent for a new mat but they only had two 200s in and were sold anyway. One had the Alpaca leather :D and looked just up my street. Think I'll have a ring around this after. Our servers' been down most of the morning so apologies for appearing to be sat here doin' nowt. Thanks Tan, any info would be great. Getting exited now, long time to wait!!!!. Be worth it though :)

PS Thanks Pammy for the web sites :D , exactly what I was looking for, have a, :bannana:

Last edited:
Hi

I drove the SLK350 yesterday and whilst it was quick and had a great exhaust note I was not that impressed. The handling was good but the car felt slightly hard for my liking. The model I drove was fitted with the 7 speed gearbox which includes paddle shift on the steering wheel. The set up works ok but feel that I would quickly get bored of it. I also found the car to be fairly cramped.

The thing that I really lover about MB's is that they are just as happy gently cruising around or being pushed hard, but I felt that this car was not nice to drive unless it was being pushed hard.

The car had all most all the extras including the AMG bodykit and wheels, HK Audio system which I felt was not at good as the Bose system in my car.

The remote folding mirrors are very cool and useful. I wish I could get my mirrors to fold in by remote, as when you fold them in from inside the car you can't see what is coming when you get out.

However, overall all for a price tag of £49000. I would buy a used R230 SL with either 350 or 500 engine.

Last edited:
Portzy, we must stop meeting like this, when driving the 350 you have to be careful its so smooth and quick that you could find yourself 50 yards further down the road than you thought you were, dangerous in Cardiff down at flash alley were there are 4 cameras in one mile. Its got to be the 350 live a little, If you come down to wales you can have a spin in mine.

gary leask said:
when driving the 350 you have to be careful its so smooth and quick that you could find yourself 50 yards further down the road than you thought you were. Its got to be the 350 live a little, If you come down to wales you can have a spin in mine.
That'll be just fine by me as most of the time I'm always 50 yards behind the rest of the free world any way :eek: . So, 350 it is then. Where in Wales are you?, or do I just follow the low 'burbling' sound like you would in 'crocks of gold and ends of rainbows?' ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom