Smart ForFour information required please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jit C240

Car
W202 C240
Hi Guys,

Been looking for a small family hatch for the folks for quite a while now, without success. The car has to have 5 doors, be an Auto, and priced at around £2,500 max.

Been looking at VW Polo's, and Vauxhall Corsa's, but they're all common as muck. Looked at A Class's too, however I have been put off by the reliability and issues. Then I saw a few Smart ForFour's. They seem quite nice and different, has anyone ever owned one of these? If anyone can provide me with some information I would be grateful.

Thanks

Yes, have owned a 1.3 passion semi-auto for four years. Do you have any specific questions?

Excellent! What are they like to live with? MPG? Reliable? Any known faults or things to look out for?

Many Thanks

I can't answer your specific questions but I do know that they're a Mitsubishi Colt underneath so that's no bad thing.

Ok, forgive me but I won't sugar coat it. I would only advise you to buy one if being different and character are the main goals. For if you want a well made, reliable, comfortable, ergonomic vehicle - get something else.

The biggest issue is the semi auto box. We are now on our second gearbox and second clutch. And we still are stranded sometimes with a box of neutrals. Normally mid u turn or facing a wall. Secondly, the ride is hard and bouncy. It does make the car fun in the corners but at a big cost. And then there is the trim quality or lack of. And stupid stuff like the fact that the sun visors are far too small and don't block the sun.

MPG is ok due to light weight.

The best small runabout I have owned is the Mk1 Honda Jazz. That is the better option for you I think.

Many thanks Stumpy1! Looking for a small, well made, reliable car with an Auto box is becoming increasing a pain within the £2,500 mark!

I quite like the Jazz, just a bit out of my price range though.

If you can stretch to a Jazz it would be worth it. It's not perfect but does many things very well. You need to be real enthusiast to put up with the issues Smart throw at you.

I don't have the opportunity to drive small cars. When I was in South Africa I hired a Honda Jazz for two weeks and did nearly 3,000 miles, which included the Garden Route.
What a great little car, the seats where amazing and everything else.

Get a Honda Civic - cheaper (in many instances) than a Jazz.

Would a saloon like Honda Accord do? Super reliable and very cheap to run while being a very comfortable cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom