So much for technology....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How does the Volvo work, via an app or using NFC directly from the phone? Isn't the first option equally vulnerable as the Tesla case. The second one is what was available for Mercedes recently but I cannot find it for current models.
Via an app, I’ve had a few cars with the same feature now and struggle to understand the problem.

Reactions: Ted
Maybe tesla has a paper printed copy of its key to get into the car if the app fails?

surely having to open an app to open my car is a step backwards compared to pressing a single button on my key fob? Although to be fair I don't know much about tesla battery powered cars...
The app isn’t really intended to be used as an alternative to the key - it’s intended for when you can’t use your key. For example to lock or unlock the car remotely, or if you have forgotten or lost your key.

Using the app for everyday locking and unlocking is indeed a bit of faff, but using the button on a key is also a bit of a faff compared to keyless go - open the door get in and drive without touching the key.

Via an app, I’ve had a few cars with the same feature now and struggle to understand the problem.

The app needs internet connectivity via the car manufacturer's servers. If anything in the chain fails, the app would not work. I'm not only after losing the phone but a failure at the cellular network or a failure at the server site etc. etc. If the Tesla issue is considered significant, then it would be for the Volvo too if they faced a similar fault.

If the car were to read the NFC from the phone, then internet connectivity would not be an issue and it would not matter if someone updated the servers with a buggy SW etc. etc.

Would not be a problem for me, I'd use smart phone applications for convenience only but would still carry the car key with me. Not sure if you are counting on Chinese servers and their reliability, your choice.

Maybe tesla has a paper printed copy of its key to get into the car if the app fails?

surely having to open an app to open my car is a step backwards compared to pressing a single button on my key fob? Although to be fair I don't know much about tesla battery powered cars...

Actually pressing a button on the key fob is a step backwards from where Mercedes is today. You just carry the key in your pocket or handbag, grab the door handle and the doors unlock. On the way out you have to touch the handle (for safety, the car cannot lock doors automatically when you walk away from the car with the key).

But I agree the key fob would be easier than using an app from a smartphone.

How does the Volvo work, via an app or using NFC directly from the phone? Isn't the first option equally vulnerable as the Tesla case. The second one is what was available for Mercedes recently but I cannot find it for current models.

It's an app - Volvo On Call. I can do a number of different functions - remote start (which runs for max 15 mins twice and puts on heated seats and heated screen if cold enough), lock doors, unlock doors, check fuel, send destinations to the car sat nav etc. No NFC involved.

It's an app - Volvo On Call. I can do a number of different functions - remote start (which runs for max 15 mins twice and puts on heated seats and heated screen if cold enough), lock doors, unlock doors, check fuel, send destinations to the car sat nav etc. No NFC involved.

Thanks. As above, a pity it is not based on NFC or a similar approach but should still be fine most of the time.

Not sure what this obsession is with apps and phones.

I like the approach MB has with the key and as @Diesel Benz mentions above, just use the keyless go part and unlock with door handle. Simple.

The app needs internet connectivity via the car manufacturer's servers. If anything in the chain fails, the app would not work. I'm not only after losing the phone but a failure at the cellular network or a failure at the server site etc. etc. If the Tesla issue is considered significant, then it would be for the Volvo too if they faced a similar fault.

If the car were to read the NFC from the phone, then internet connectivity would not be an issue and it would not matter if someone updated the servers with a buggy SW etc. etc.

Would not be a problem for me, I'd use smart phone applications for convenience only but would still carry the car key with me. Not sure if you are counting on Chinese servers and their reliability, your choice.

I find this to be a poor design then... as said, I often park in underground car parks, so an app would be useless for me. Don't they have underground car parks in the US? Odd, that.

I think this whole issue of starting cars with apps or keyless go is indicative of what's going wrong with modern cars. I understand why the manufacturers do it, modern cars are now all so good that that to differentiate one from another they have to continually invent unnecessary toys. Personally I would forgo these features and put up with the tedium of having to press a button twice a day in exchange for a simpler car. They could spend any money saved on something else that they penny pinched on such as galvanising subframes or anything at all that might be useful while actually driving the car as opposed to starting it.

Generally I find 'app' technology a bit of a gimmick but I have occasionally used Mercedes Me to unlock our W205 e.g. to get something out of it when the keys are still in the house. Also handy to check the lock status when you have a 'did I lock the car?' senior moment while walking round the shops :D And I use it sometimes to check the remaining fuel/range from inside the house so we know whether we'll need to stop for fuel or not when going out (with three vehicles, all infrequently used now, it's quite easy to lose track).

The app is not compulsory

Generally I find 'app' technology a bit of a gimmick but I have occasionally used Mercedes Me to unlock our W205 e.g. to get something out of it when the keys are still in the house. Also handy to check the lock status when you have a 'did I lock the car?' senior moment while walking round the shops :D And I use it sometimes to check the remaining fuel/range from inside the house so we know whether we'll need to stop for fuel or not when going out (with three vehicles, all infrequently used now, it's quite easy to lose track).

Exactly what I do - on the Volvo it's the remote start which i mainly use the app for.

True.

I travel with:

- A paper printout in my pocket.

- A second paper printout out, as backup, in my hand luggage.

- A digital copy on the phone (email or scan etc).

- A digital copy in my Google Drive, that I can access from anywhere, if need be.

40 years in IT does that you... there's just no such thing as having too many backups :D
Me too (but not worked in IT)

My jag has a remote app for starting the car and getting the climate ready for when you get in, unlocking it and many other things, but you still need the key as a security thing. If you remote start it you still need the key to unlock it and if you unlock it with the app you then need the key to start it, i like this as it makes it more secure

Does anyone actually use the remote start feature ? I can see how it would be very popular in the US but here it would be illegal to use that feature and leave the car unattended, not to mention it's bad for the engine and bad for the environment. In practice I don't suppose prosecutions are ever brought, any more than they are ever brought for diesel vans sat with the engine idling for an hour which is also illegal. If we are all to be deprived of new IC cars after 2030 on the grounds of emissions perhaps it's time to address some current practices that produce completely unnecessary emissions.

Does anyone actually use the remote start feature ? I can see how it would be very popular in the US but here it would be illegal to use that feature and leave the car unattended, not to mention it's bad for the engine and bad for the environment. In practice I don't suppose prosecutions are ever brought, any more than they are ever brought for diesel vans sat with the engine idling for an hour which is also illegal. If we are all to be deprived of new IC cars after 2030 on the grounds of emissions perhaps it's time to address some current practices that produce completely unnecessary emissions.

Of course it's a must-have feature... you never know when the rival gang might booby-trap your car..... :doh:

I personally don’t use remote start because I’m not a fan of the engine idling when cold. I use other remote features occasionally though - remote lock is the handiest, I rarely use it, but I’m glad I’ve got it when I do use it.

I’m not a fan of the engine idling when cold.

Me neither, so the small tractor I bought recently has been a bit of a culture shock. The manual warns that the engine (a 1300 cc 3 cyl. Mitsubishi) should be warmed up without any load for at least 5 minutes after starting ... you have to sit there the whole time too as there's a weight switch on the driver's seat that cuts the engine if you get off!

Me neither, so the small tractor I bought recently has been a bit of a culture shock. The manual warns that the engine (a 1300 cc 3 cyl. Mitsubishi) should be warmed up without any load for at least 5 minutes after starting ... you have to sit there the whole time too as there's a weight switch on the driver's seat that cuts the engine if you get off!
It must be a long and painful 5 minutes! Worth it though if you get to drive a tractor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom