• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Space Shuttle lift off

As it was on the way up :) It was travelling at 4 miles per second and using half a ton of fuel per second!!! Now if they had used a CDI engine :) :)

Very impressive and it has already passed over Torbay.

John

Wow how about that then? I don't have Sky - I use BBC News 24. The internet is about 10~15 secs slower than digital or satellite feeds.

grober said:
Evidently cameras captured 5 "bits" falling off the shuttle as it took off. Hope it was nothing crucial!

I actually watched the briefing and the experts were saying how these bits fell off after the critical time (as in your link) however they did add the proviso that they have only given the footage a brief review!!!

I will never forget the time when the large piece fell off. I actually saw the e-mails from a very senior engineer asking, then pleading for the shuttle to be photographed by a military satellite. He was told he was over reacting, he then went behind senior managements back and arranged for these photographs to be taken. Unfortunately the military had a slight query on a minor issue and contacted NASA, the senior management were not happy, cancelled the request and tried to discipline the person concerned. Unfortunately the shuttle tried to re-enter the Earths atmosphere before any action could be taken!!! This person had a complete breakdown and still to this day blames himself for not being forceful enough with his requests???

NASA had major investigations into numerous areas, including their senior management and a lot of heads rolled. Fingers crossed that all is well and this is yet another successful mission.

Americans could actually watch this launch in High Definition TV and eventually it was jaw dropping spectacular.

Regards,
John

Pigeon Poo

I heard on the news yesterday (BBC R2) that while the shuttle was rolled over for inspection from the space station Pigeon droppings were visible underneath, amazing considering all the water sprayed on during launch, the speed and heat. It is expected to burn off during re entry though. Did anyone else hear this? I can’t find anything.

Pidgeon poo is deadly stuff. If you don't wash it off thoroughly straight away it stays on forever and you have to repaint. Horrid stuff, shoot all pidgeons.

-simon

13 tons of critical supplies were onboard....

Unbelievable to think of the power needed to vertically lift such a weight and take it into Space.

John

glojo said:
13 tons of critical supplies were onboard....

Unbelievable to think of the power needed to vertically lift such a weight and take it into Space.

John

glojo said:
Tt was travelling at 4 miles per second and using half a ton of fuel per second!!!

Looks to me like you've not only thought of it, you've described it pretty well ;-)

-simon

glojo said:
the experts were saying how these bits fell off after the critical time

"Sorry sir, these bits fell off after the critical time, 'fraid they won't be covered by the warranty, now let me see, that'll be ...." :D

masqueraid said:
"Sorry sir, these bits fell off after the critical time, 'fraid they won't be covered by the warranty, now let me see, that'll be ...." :D

Thirty years or 300,000 miles, whatever comes first sir!!!

I must confess to logging onto the NASA sight perodically. (even when there are no shuttle missions)

John :D

Just a quick update.

A couple of the astronauts are in the middle of a space walk which is live on NASA TV. One of them is feeling just a little woozy, certainly nothing serious and they have been two hours into a four hour operation.

John

The Space Shuttle has successfully indocked and is now preparing for re-entry which should take place tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for a safe, smooth landing.

John

As I type this hte shuttle is over Russia :) One more lap and they will be roughly over sunny Torquay :cool: If they are watching they will see me giving them a wave!! ;)

Fingers crossed for them,
John

How strange that the payload doors are not closed until two hours before re-entry commences? These folks are experts and clearly know best, but surely any minor problem with this exercise would cause huge problems?

I am merely saying this now as hindsight suggestions are not items I like reading. The doors by the way are now successfully closed and latched.

Two hours to the first 'burn'

John the interested

glojo said:
How strange that the payload doors are not closed until two hours before re-entry commences? These folks are experts and clearly know best, but surely any minor problem with this exercise would cause huge problems?
Its to prevent heat build up whilst on orbit - the inside of the doors are heat reflectors so are normally kept open.

smartbrabus said:
Its to prevent heat build up whilst on orbit - the inside of the doors are heat reflectors so are normally kept open.

Thanks smartbrabus,
I can certainly see the logic and agree with what you have kindly posted. These doors are opened very early into the mission.

No doubt if they have problems then they simply stay up there until they are fixed.

John

What time are we due to land? Have to say a problem with the bay doors is a massive problem due to the physical size of them (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom