Space Shuttle lift off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
wallingd said:
What time are we due to land? Have to say a problem with the bay doors is a massive problem due to the physical size of them (?).

There is no problem with the doors, I have merely pointed out they are not closed until two hours before re-entry commences.

This is the information from NASA:

Discovery has two opportunities about 90 minutes apart to land at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Monday, at 9:14 a.m. Eastern time and 10:50 a.m. The only concern was weather, Mr. Stich said, with the possibility of a front north of the center moving south with rain showers. There is a “reasonable” chance the showers will hold off for morning landing attempts, he said.

They have put up a chase aircraft with exactly the same flight characteristics of the shuttle to see what flight conditions are like. Listening to the conversations, there is a very slight chance of showers, but the landing is still happening.

John

Just under two hours to go for the actual landing, the crew are taking on extra fluids to compensate for their time in space. 0.5ltr every 30 minutes!!! The weather is still okee dokee.

If it is just under two hours, we are looking at a landing roundabout 2-15pm, but NASA always gets it within seconds of the estimated time.

45 minutes for the first slow down burn. 2-14pm landing.

Another weather briefing is being held shortly.

John

There has now been a successful slow down burn and the shuttle is commencing its descent. The mock-up aircraft is practicing touch and goes, just to check out conditions on the runway.

John

Touchdown

Well its landed. Brilliant footage from inside the cockpit looking out.

John

Piece of cake!

glojo said:
Well its landed. Brilliant footage from inside the cockpit looking out.

John
Saw the Nasa Video rerun. Cant believe how fast the approach is compared to a normal airliner. :eek: Still if you can land a jet fighter on the flight deck of a carrier I guess any runway that isnt moving is a piece of cake.;)

Nice to see this still generating interest. One of my fave films is Apollo 13 - and I think it is so sad how it starts with the apathy around space travel in the media and public arenas.

Well, they're at it again.

The space shuttle Atlantis has now finally launched successfully. I believe it is carrying the heaviest pay-load so far.. Over 17.5 ton's of cargo?

If anyone is interested here is the link

Regards,
John

Ty. Will look forward to the spacewalks as I remember seeing a previous truss go in place in 2001.

Does anyone know why the space craft does a rotation 15-20 seconds after launching?
If NASA want it 'the other way up' why don't they launch it that way in the first place?

I 'spose the answer is that it's Rocket Science. :D

PJH said:
Does anyone know why the space craft does a rotation 15-20 seconds after launching?
If NASA want it 'the other way up' why don't they launch it that way in the first place?

I 'spose the answer is that it's Rocket Science. :D
I believe it rolls over to take the stress off of the shuttle. It is not a vertical straight up to the skies lift off. Just after launch it gets a slight angle and the shuttle rotates to the least stressfull position, plus I suppose it is also setting its course.

Regards
John

Edit:
I thought I had best check to make sure I wasn't putting size thirteen into mouth. Here is the proper answer

Last edited:
The shuttle crew are now carrying out a 'space' walk installing new solar power panels. One of these brave 'walkers' is a woman. Before commencing the work , it was quite funny listening to her saying how she was having issues with her suit. First off it was slightly too cold. She then adjusted the temperature and it was then too hot. I had visions of her then complaining about her mascara running ;) ;) I am being cheeky here and am fully aware of the problems, dangers of their task. It just seems strange hearing a female astronauts voice. The latest blooper she made was trying to tighten a screw when she should have been undoing it!!! How many years training do they under go?? Turn me right, turn me tight. Turn me left undo me. Please may I go on the next mission?? Pretty please :D :D

Beautiful photography.

John

Saw this taking off last week! On the last day of our holiday! Amazing to watch!

CAT220 said:
Saw this taking off last week! On the last day of our holiday! Amazing to watch!
You JAMMY person. How close were you and what was the noise like?

I have just watched the start of the latest space walk. Envy

John

atlantis has now successfully undocked and will shortly be commencing a 'fly-around' of the International Space Station before making its way back to Earth.

John

If anyone has the opportunity you MUST look at the stunning pictures of the Space Station. Jaw dropping

I was watching NASA TV full-screen yesterday lunchtime to the strains of my 1987 Yamaha DX synthesizer demo tape - really nice to watch the Earth drift by underneath the ISS.

wallingd said:
I was watching NASA TV full-screen yesterday lunchtime to the strains of my 1987 Yamaha DX synthesizer demo tape - really nice to watch the Earth drift by underneath the ISS.
:) :) I am glued to my monitor! Those solar panels are 240ft long by 8ft wide and there are at least 8 of them. I should imagine we will be seeing some brilliant still pictures taken of the space station. To see half the earth in darkness and daylight for the other half is breathtaking.

Oh well back to NASA TV

John

Toxic Spill on the Space Station

The alarm bells have been ringing on the space station following a toxic spill of chemicals. The crew have donned smoke masks and have now cleared up the offending chemicals, but they are still wearing full protective clothing, masks etc.

It has been treated as a full emergency, but has been described as 'Not as serious as a fire on-board the station'

There were no injuries and the space shuttle is still in very close proximity (visual range)

Blinking annoying that some commands are being given in Russian! I suppose the commander is Russian and during and emergency it may always be better to communicate in your native tongue.

Every so often we are getting English updates, but everything seems okee dokee.

I was surprised to hear the US astronaught requesting NASA contact his house to inform them of the incident. It fetches home to you about the media and how much information we have access too??

NASA is simply monitoring the incident the Russians are dealing.

Potassium Hydrochloride is the offending chemical

John

I wonder if this incident will stop the other craft that is on its' way there with only 2 professional crew onboard and a paying space tourist.
$25 million (maybe £'s, not sure) seems a lot, but if you've got it to spare, why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom