Spark plug mix and match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interested to see this

Am changing my plugs (only 6 mind) on the weekend with a mate as the CLK has done 60k and indi advises due for a change

I am opting for NGK ones and have always been told to fit identicals, but if they are the same spec, just essentially a different batch, the ECU and engine wont know as they will perform the same

Interested to see this

Am changing my plugs (only 6 mind) on the weekend with a mate as the CLK has done 60k and indi advises due for a change

I am opting for NGK ones and have always been told to fit identicals, but if they are the same spec, just essentially a different batch, the ECU and engine wont know as they will perform the same

Why don't you go for OEM

you can get 6 for £49 delivered

Got a deal on them, and they are MB spec anyway

And I am not that organised at the moment....

Last edited:
I'm honestly so undecided now lol

Why can't things ever be easy lol

Reply from Mercedes;

Part number A0031599403 and A0041595003 are both the same spark plug, just supersessions of one another, A0031599403 being he latest number.

Another reply from MB

Excellent

'You can use them both as they are both the same spark plug.'

At least you will sleep well tonight lol

Now close the thread before you change your mind again :D

At least you will sleep well tonight lol

Now close the thread before you change your mind again :D

I know if i get them fitted the every odd noise I'll be like hmmm I wonder if that's due to the spark plugs :doh:

But yeh if everyone on here and MB say it's ok then it just gonna have em put in I think lol

Cheers
Abs

I would go with Grober's suggestion and use one of each per cylinder.

Would eliminate any firing differences between cylinders and banks (assuming both plugs in each cylinder are fired simultaneously).

I would go with Grober's suggestion and use one of each per cylinder.

Would eliminate any firing differences between cylinders and banks (assuming both plugs in each cylinder are fired simultaneously).

I think I'm gonna relist them on eBay not worth the hassle IMO when it's £30 more to get the rest from mb and I won't be changing them for at least 5 years more..

You never know I may sell em for more than I bought them..

Gonna put em on at £30 which I think is still a really good price for 6 genuine plugs

So you are selling the Champion and keeping the NGK?

Yeh selling the ones I got on eBay so 2009 manufactured ones

Keeping the ones I got from Merc (2017 manufactured) and will get 6 more from them

I just don't feel it's worth making a compromise with 1 per cylinder etc when it's only £30 more to just get the correct ones identical all 12... and as they are directly from dealer they also carry a warranty where as the EBay ones have been in storage since 2009 if they were to prematurely fail I'd have to pay labour again to have them removed and replaced etc etc and it would work out more expensive in the end..

Lesson learnt to always check the p/n with Merc before ordering lol

I don't like doing anything except perfection for the car.. I know I'm practically crazy fussy lol

Cheers
Abs

Last edited:
Just got the plugs from the Royal Mail depot they are definitely new and are stamped CHAMPION

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

This is the number on it if that helps check the heat range or whatever
KC10PYPB4 - champion plugs A204 (from eBay seller)
NGK PFR5R-II JAPAN - numbers on NGK plug from MB A203

Cheers

Last edited:
Just got the plugs from the Royal Mail depot they are definitely new and are stamped CHAMPION

This is the number on it if that helps check the heat range or whatever
KC10PYPB4 - champion plugs A204 (from eBay seller)
NGK PFR5R-II JAPAN - numbers on NGK plug from MB A203

Cheers

So the internet search was right :) :

Looking it up on the Internet (not conclusive):

A 003 159 94 03 = NGK PFR5R-11 https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9913

A 004 159 50 03 = Champion KC10PYPB4 Federal-Mogul Motorparts.

So the internet search was right :) :

How do I check the heat range, plug 'gap' or whatever

If they are identical I'll just get them fitted lol

How do I check the heat range, plug 'gap' or whatever

If they are identical I'll just get them fitted lol

The gap is the same for both plugs (1.1mm), but you can't directly compare heat range between two different manufacturers.

This is because manufacturers do not specify the actual heat transfer rate of the plug - instead they use an arbitrary numbering sequence to denote 'hoter' or 'colder' plugs, and each manufacturer has their own heat range numbering sequence.

So you can only compare heat range between plugs made by the same manufacturer.

You could of course look it up on a cross-refference table which will show if both plugs are interchangeable, based on their manufacturer's part numbers - but again it won't show the actual heat rate transfer figure for each plug.

The gap is the same for both plugs (1.1mm), but you can't directly compare heat range between two different manufacturers.

This is because manufacturers do not specify the actual heat transfer rate of the plug - instead they use an arbitrary numbering sequence to denote 'hoter' or 'colder' plugs, and each manufacturer has their own heat range numbering sequence.

So you can only compare heat range between plugs made by the same manufacturer.

You could of course look it up on a cross-refference table which will show if both plugs are interchangeable, based on their manufacturer's part numbers - but again it won't show the actual heat rate transfer figure for each plug.

Appears as they are showing interchangeable on cross-referencing

Champion KC10PYPB4 - Alternative spark plugs

Sorry for the excessive questioning, but the age of the plug shouldn't cause any deterioration should it if it unused. As the eBay plugs would have been stored since 2009

Thanks

I don't see an issue with the age of the Champion plugs - they are made of metal and ceramics, these are materials that don't degrade in storage. If they don't show signs of corrosion (due to improper storage) they are fine.

But - you seem to be losing sleep about this, so my advice would be that given the sums of money involved you should just by 6 more NGK plugs and flog the Champions on eBay (as you have done).

You'll sleep better and that's what counts :thumb:

I don't see an issue with the age of the Champion plugs - they are made of metal and ceramics, these are materials that don't degrade in storage. If they don't show signs of corrosion (due to improper storage) they are fine.

But - you seem to be losing sleep about this, so my advice would be that given the sums of money involved you should just by 6 more NGK plugs and flog the Champions on eBay (as you have done).

You'll sleep better and that's what counts :thumb:

Hahaha so true buddy..

Better to have peace of mind that the job is done 100% right in my opinion it's worth the extra £30

Thanks for your help with this

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom