Speed Camera in Horse Box!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Watch out - Mad Mullah has found a new way to catch speeders!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/...2700.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1

Aparantly the rules have changed and the police (as oposed to Camera Parternships) can hide their cameras. Obviously the deterent works well, as everytime I see a horse box I shall think oh I had better slow down!

David

Nothing wrong with hidden speed traps. It's not as if the law only applies when someone is looking. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with hidden speed traps. It's not as if the law only applies when someone is looking. :rolleyes:

True, but its sneaky. Do policeman dress in hoodies in town centers late at night waiting to pounce on any under age drinkers/vandals etc? I bet they don't, so if they can deceive motorists and get convictions, then they can decieve other offenders and do the same.

I just wish it apllies to all form of criminal activity.
i think that is what p1sses people off most.
That a car thief /burglar / phone thief can get up to 5 warnings in a three month period and a motorist can get banned in a day without any warning

Last edited:
True, but its sneaky. Do policeman dress in hoodies in town centers late at night waiting to pounce on any under age drinkers/vandals etc? I bet they don't, so if they can deceive motorists and get convictions, then they can decieve other offenders and do the same.

good talk.
imagine if they all dressed as druggies and hoodies to infiltrate burglar gangs.
Anyway even if they are caught,the courts will just let them of as there is no fine they can afford.

They got round it by claiming they are not safety camera partnerships.
so are these fines diferent from the camera partnership ones? and who gets to keep them?

Last edited:
But they could be put in an overcrouded prison OR given a really tough community service stint that would assist them repay their debts to society.

A bit off thread, but if the police can reach that level of indgenuity of catching a speeding motorist, can they not do it with teenage drinkers. I can see no reason why hiding in a park on a saturday night disguised or a copper loitering near an off licence waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting 16 year old who enters, only to be nabbed when he/she leaves.

It just seems as if the speeding motorist is monitored more than any other criminal group.

They can but the 16year old can not pay a fine, and the prison is worse as the government and us will have to pay to keep them in there.
Community service yes, but will they turn up ? No and then what?

Then a severe beating :D (if only) things were simpler (and cheaper) 50 years ago, and the young 'uns were better behaved

Nowadays I'd have to say that failure to comply means arrest, and taken to high prison for the maximum sentence. Or being taken to community service and working chain gang style.

Community service yes, but will they turn up ? No and then what?

Oh, ********. I didn't think of that. I've been very pro-community service but you have a point. Corporal punishment is the answer, then, if we haven't got prison space.

They could just put a plastic cow there instead and call it a cash cow? THey could even put the camera in it's bottom!

David

True, but its sneaky.

Why? The law is the law, it's not just the law when no one is looking. :rolleyes:

Do policeman dress in hoodies in town centers late at night waiting to pounce on any under age drinkers/vandals etc?

Don't know if they wear hoodies :D, but there certainly are quite a few plain clothes police around in Central London, especially in the evening hours. ;)

so if they can deceive motorists and get convictions

What do you mean "deceive"? They can only catch those who break the law. I don't mind their hidden cameras in horse boxes etc, as I won't go past them above the speed limit in the first place!

then they can decieve other offenders and do the same.

I don't believe they are deceiving them, but yes, the police will use plain clothes tactics etc to catch criminals and jolly good on them too.

Typical of Brunstromia. This sort of thing has been going on for years in the Netherlands and it was only a matter of time before it happened here. I wonder how long it'll be before the number of cars on Polish plates increases in Bumstorm's back yard?

Wake up people, you're a MOTORIST and that makes you the easiest possible target.
As has already been said, commit almost any other crime and warning after warning will be given but commit just one motoring infraction and there is no warning mechanism, just instant penalty.

And while I'm here, am I alone in being appalled by the latest car tax ads ? Stump up fella or we'll crush your car... Threatening behaviour is threatening behaviour no matter who is using it.

It is quite possible that with no criminal intent but a simple act of forgetfulness you can have property worth several thousand pounds removed and destroyed without a day in court or any recompense simply because you are a motorist. It could be cheaper to steal cars to the value of your own and ride around in them until caught than forget to buy a tax disc.

I'm presently on 29 years without a conviction but I have no doubt at all that by fair means or foul, they are out to get me.

And while I'm here, am I alone in being appalled by the latest car tax ads ? Stump up fella or we'll crush your car... Threatening behaviour is threatening behaviour no matter who is using it.

The ones on the radio for the bikes are even worse.
the sound of crunching metal and thousands are vanished.
Easier to steal one, beat up the driver and take off.
Watched road wars yesterday.
Two first time car thieves chased and caught. doing 70 in a 30 running from cops
One was give a conditional discharge even though he was pulled from the driving seat.
The other was bound (over to keep peace, whatever that means)

But a fella that was towing his unroadworthy car to get it MOt'd after the tow chain snapped decided to drive it instead.
For no insurance and tax ( stupid of him though) got £500 fine and six points.

Hw should have told police he stole the car and they will probably have given him a discharge.

Why? The law is the law, it's not just the law when no one is looking. :rolleyes:

Don't know if they wear hoodies :D, but there certainly are quite a few plain clothes police around in Central London, especially in the evening hours. ;)

What do you mean "deceive"? They can only catch those who break the law. I don't mind their hidden cameras in horse boxes etc, as I won't go past them above the speed limit in the first place!

I don't believe they are deceiving them, but yes, the police will use plain clothes tactics etc to catch criminals and jolly good on them too.

It is deception in so much as they are trying to conceal themselves. Maybe its not even so much that but the method in which the fine is then delivered. Perhaps if there was half a mile up the road a police car and they radioed ahead your details and you were physically stopped, told about the offence it may be percieved to be fairer.

The whole hidden camera thing is a bit to Big Brother and Orwellian for me, it seems as if you don't mind it, but I too adhere to the limits but I still see police hiding in horse boxes as a little futile and an "easy option" as snapping a 65mph car is easier than manhandling a drunken youth.

Its perceived, by many, to be a money raising exercise under the guise of law enforcement, rightly or wrongly. Ask yourself this, would the police still do this if the punishment for speeding was different, i.e. no fine and just speeding points or community service punishment? Please don't tell me you think they would pour quite so much into catching motorists if money didn't exchange hands.

Last edited:

Isn't that called undercover police work and as far as I'm aware there is a lot of that going on every day. ;)

Us motorists do like to play the victim whenever we think we are being trated unfairly. I'm sure none of us would complain about the new CCTV in the high street because it's put an end to our shoplifting enjoyment. :rolleyes:

However I do wish they'd target speeding in towns and urban areas rather than just some long straight road where they are more likely to earn more money. In that respect I do see how it can be seen as a money making scheme rather than a road safety scheme.

Last edited:
CCTV and camera's are merely a deterent, the actual enforcement should come from a human, not a letter in the post.

We play the "victim" for a number of reasons. Firstly we are made to feel like criminals for what is now deemed a socially acceptable crime. Be that right or wrong that is how its perceived. We on the whole feel we are paying a fortune in taxes for roads that haven't really improved at all. Speeding in towns etc is more actively monitored (in Strathclyde anyway). IIRC I haven't seen a speed trap in a rural road in this region, but plenty visible ones in towns.

I will put a slightly different argument accross, if motoring offenses didn't yield money would road traffic law be as rigerously enforced? I very much doubt it.

Its commercially viable for "safety camera vans" to opperate but not so viable to the same number of officers out on the beat and round up vandals etc.

You'll find that cameras usually lurk in towns and in busier roads. Go upto the north west highlands of scotland and you'll see little traffic enforcement, and thats because there are precious few motorists to prosecute, but is their speeding any less of a crime than someones on the M25?

Why is this, as setting up cameras and traps in quiet roads won't reap the financial rewards. Its all about the money and its under the guise of the law.

My advice, don't speed, so don't give them money unneccesarily.

Last edited:
CCTV and camera's are merely a deterent, the actual enforcement should come from a human, not a letter in the post. .

Absolutely, may be then people would actually understand why what they did was wrong or dangerous. Last time I was stopped was in 1998 when I was 20. I was doing 41mph in a 30 zone in a very quite and empty road at 1am in the morning. The copper gave me a polite talking too and sent me on my way.

Speeding in towns etc is more actively monitored (in Strathclyde anyway). IIRC I haven't seen a speed trap in a rural road in this region, but plenty visible ones in towns.

Here in Hertfordshire/North London area I see very little monitoring of speed in the towns although last week I saw a marked police car on the M25 which was the first in a long long time. I've heard that councils are considering using average speed cameras in towns which would be excellent as standard speed cameras only work for about 10ft the road that they're pointed at!

Speeding is an attitude and alot of people are unaware that they even do it. I own a little mews cottage on a private estate shared with 19 other and houses and the tenant I have in there at the moment speeds in and out of the grounds. I've politely written to her about this after some other residents bought up the issue at this years AGM. She of course, swears blind that she doesn't ever speed even though she told me once that she used to drive so fast when taking her 8 year old daughter to school that she often used to be sick at the school gates (the daugther that is).

It's going to take more than a fine to slow this lady down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom