Standard SLK - Ratio of female to male owners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willibob

Car
1999 SLK230
I've just bought (but am yet to collect) my first MB. Its a 1999 SLK230 in silver with black leather interior and the carbon fibre effect dash inserts.

My boss has told me that its a 'barbie' car :( but I hadn't heard of this before.

My reason for going with the SLK was a combination of build quality (it felt more solid to drive than a Z4, MR2 etc.), performance (its quicker than the Z4, MR2 etc. and the A4 2.0 tdi which I currently drive) & the roof because its not fabric which I think makes it a practical all year car.

Anyhoo...is it generally accepted that this is a girls/womans/ladies car or are there other male SLK owners out there?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

BTW, if a similar thread exists please point me in its direction.

Willibob

No, I'm not a hairdresser. And that hasn't helped!!

Don't tell me I'm going to have to put it straight in the Autotrader!!

What would I get instead??

Boxster is too brash and obvious.
MR2 is just uninspiring with no space.
Z4 is lacklustre and when you shut the door it makes the same sound as a transit.
3 Series convertible - I'm not a drug dealer.
SAAB or Volvo or Jag - I'm not that old.

Help!!!

Anyhoo...is it generally accepted that this is a girls/womans/ladies car or are there other male SLK owners out there?
There are more male SLK owners on this forum than female, this is not exactly conclusive evidence however.

The R170 SLK does have a slightly feminine appeal I think but that's because it's a pretty shape and has cute headlamps and grill (designed to mimic the old W140 CL and R129 SL).

IMHO it's a great car for either gender, I'd happily own one if I could bring myself to change cars.
Are you a Hairdresser?
Thank you joe for your highly constructive comment.

Personally I wouldn't give a t*ss what anybody thinks, if you like it enjoy it.

I think its generally accepted that a pug 205cc driven by a man is slightly odd, but an slk for me is perfectly fine.

Dieselman

Haha very very funny, that has made my afternoon:D

I think a Mini is more girly than an SLK.

I would never have another convertible again. I really don't like that feeling of being watched by the bus next to me when in traffic when the roof is down.

I would never have another convertible again. I really don't like that feeling of being watched by the bus next to me when in traffic when the roof is down.

having been getting a bit exited looking at the girlies at the bus stop have we...

willibob

The SLK is Ok for men, don't worry.

As already mentioned the cars men cant drive are 206CC and Mini.

I have one, and I'm a bloke. However Mrs Ted drives it more than me.
I know some cars are a bit girly, the new Micra CC comes to mind - but I don't think that the SLK is in the slightest bit girly.

Also Pammy on this forum has one, and she's a bloke. (ducks & runs)

Anyhoo...is it generally accepted that this is a girls/womans/ladies car

I'm afraid so.

You need the largest engine size possible, preferably an AMG.

Same applies to many other (very good) small convertibles e.g. Mazda MX-5.

But if you like the car then s*d the image - keep it.

What would I get instead??

Boxster is too brash and obvious.
MR2 is just uninspiring with no space.
Z4 is lacklustre and when you shut the door it makes the same sound as a transit.
3 Series convertible - I'm not a drug dealer.
SAAB or Volvo or Jag - I'm not that old.

Well ... depends on budget, but:

Honda S2000
Merc CLK convertible
Merc SL

?

Someone once suggested that I batted for the other team because I had a CLK cabrio!

They didnt say it a second time;)

Looking around Woking (not the best place, I know), there does seem to be more females driving SLK's and CLK's than males. However, between 4PM and 5PM there are literally dozens of SLK's that pour out of Mclaren's HQ with a pretty even spread of men vs women.

If its a car you like and want, then get one.

Someone once suggested that I batted for the other team because I had a CLK cabrio!

They didnt say it a second time;)

Where is he/she, we can go round and put their windows out:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom