• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Still searching….

If you are looking for a good one, 200 miles might be what it takes. Mid 2019 to early 2020 I was looking for a w211 E320 2009/2010 with COMAND, leather and heated seats under 100k. Market pretty much topped out at £5.5k, with a couple of silly priced examples at £7.5k. I set my budget at £7k, and after 7 or 8 months of looking, couldn't find the one and gave up and bought a w212 E350.

That was even with willingness to travel hundreds of miles.

My point being that if you are set on a Merc, you might well have to travel some distance to get a decent on of this age, and even more so if you need one within a few days.

Don't buy a bag of crap because it's on the doorstep if you can help it.
This is very good advice, go where you find the right car, will be worth it, rather then the headaches, and aggro you will get if one buys a lemon on your doorstep so to speak, and time and effort on another search.

This is very good advice, go where you find the right car, will be worth it, rather then the headaches, and aggro you will get if one buys a lemon on your doorstep so to speak, and time and effort on another search.
I don’t mind traveling to get a car, but a 400 mile round trip just to look at one isn’t something I’ll be doing.

Sold right away. Sh!t
This was one of the reasons why I didn't end up with a w211. One did come up that looked pucker and checked out, and I spent 36 hours deliberating. I saw it as soon as advertised. Well, that was 36 hours waited too long, and I missed it. Others will be on the hunt for the unicorns.

This was one of the reasons why I didn't end up with a w211. One did come up that looked pucker and checked out, and I spent 36 hours deliberating. I saw it as soon as advertised. Well, that was 36 hours waited too long, and I missed it. Others will be on the hunt for the unicorns.
I spent half an hour deliberating 😂… Still gone

Buying a car is exciting, but it can also be hard work, especially when the search takes longer, sometimes my head starts spinning, looking and comparing on the net. I am not patient by nature, but because I am always afraid of getting a lemon or Monday car, always take the time to get the right one, touchwood haven’t regretted it as yet.

For me this is one reason I don’t change too often, every 6 years or so is good enough for me.

I think at this price point you need to be fully understanding that any car is most likely going to need money spent on it to keep it on the road.

🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm looking at motors at the moment for Mrs Greedy (just off to Dartford to see an E220 🤪 - joke), and they basically all need and alloy wheel refurb, some paint touch up, gearbox oil change, possible cambelt water pump, 2 or more tyres etc.

Speaking of the 400 mile round trip, I wasn't think of 400 miles for sight seeing. I was thinking 200 miles with cash in the pocket and your mate in the passenger seat, having already grilled the owner over the phone about history specifics, tyre condition, arch rust etc. Then if it checks out, do the deal there and then and you or mate drive it back.

And even if it's not that one, same protocol with a different one. Trying to do the deal and drop of the hire car in the same journey is asking for all sorts of complications imo.

Buying a car is exciting, but it can also be hard work, especially when the search takes longer, sometimes my head starts spinning, looking and comparing on the net. I am not patient by nature, but because I am always afraid of getting a lemon or Monday car, always take the time to get the right one, touchwood haven’t regretted it as yet.

For me this is one reason I don’t change too often, every 6 years or so is good enough for me.
My heads in that spinning stage right now!

I'm looking at motors at the moment for Mrs Greedy (just off to Dartford to see an E220 🤪 - joke), and they basically all need and alloy wheel refurb, some paint touch up, gearbox oil change, possible cambelt water pump, 2 or more tyres etc.

Speaking of the 400 mile round trip, I wasn't think of 400 miles for sight seeing. I was thinking 200 miles with cash in the pocket and your mate in the passenger seat, having already grilled the owner over the phone about history specifics, tyre condition, arch rust etc. Then if it checks out, do the deal there and then and you or mate drive it back.

And even if it's not that one, same protocol with a different one. Trying to do the deal and drop of the hire car in the same journey is asking for all sorts of complications imo.
That’s a good plan! I will get there.
“I'm looking at motors at the moment for Mrs Greedy (just off to Dartford to see an E220 🤪 - joke)” - This was hilarious 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom