• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sudden loss of Mercedes.Me functionality

sgregory124

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63S
Afternoon all,

In the last 24 hours, the Mercedes.Me app on my iPhone informed me of a 'Terms of Services' change and I have now lost significant functionality. Having checked on the portal, I can see that some of my subscriptions may have expired, but they are now unavailable for purchase.

The functionality I have lost is:

Remote Lock/Unlock
Vehicle locator
Geo-Fencing

The car still seems to be communicating with the app, as earlier today it reminded me the car was unlocked - asking me if I wanted to lock it. Clicking the notification, the app took me to the lock graphic showing me what was open, but the slider to actually lock/unlock the car was gone. I have also lost the ability to receive text messages/read them in the car - not sure if its related....

Has any one else experienced anything like this recently?

For info, my car is a 2017 C63S and I've been using MM services since 2020 when I bought it, with zero issues....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Simon

Mercedes-Benz have stopped supporting the app for vehicles over 3 years old and are slowly switching off it's functions.

It's to do with the communication modules on the cars operating over 3G, and the big networks are switching off their 3G connectivity to free up bandwidth for increased 4G and 5G coverage.

There's no retrofit option available either as far as I'm aware. I think they started dialing it back in February this year.

Mercedes-Benz have stopped supporting the app for vehicles over 3 years old and are slowly switching off it's functions.

It's to do with the communication modules on the cars operating over 3G, and the big networks are switching off their 3G connectivity to free up bandwidth for increased 4G and 5G coverage.

There's no retrofit option available either as far as I'm aware. I think they started dialing it back in February this year.
Well that's just swell. So all of the (only) features I used and that were in any way of useful are now disabled - great move that.

Thanks for the explanation :rolleyes:

Well that's just swell. So all of the (only) features I used and that were in any way of useful are now disabled - great move that.

Thanks for the explanation :rolleyes:
I think it's been universally slated by everyone who's been affected yeah.

I've got the app, but it's never been much use for my 23 year old relic 😅

Hi , well I have removed the Mercedes me app from my mobile phone , it's totally unreliable and when it did work it produced utter rubbish.

When it was installed when the car was new the service was excellent , but over the years the modules were deactivated.

No doubt the newer cars have more reliable electrics but Blue tooth connections put the feat of god into me.

I can understand dropping support for 3G modules but they moved to 4G more than 3 years ago ... our 2019 car certainly has it, and (touch wood) the app is still working fine. Will be interesting to see if I'm offered a renewal when the current subscriptions expire.

A 2017 C63S will be a pre-pacelift W205, and the W205 only got the 4g modem as of the 2018 facelift.

It's not exactly 'planned obsolescence', because you could argue that MB could not have known back in 2013 when they struck the deal with Vodafone, that Vodafone will switch off its 3g network ten years later.

But it is certainly the result of the combination of MB traditionally being very slow to introduce new tech into their sub-S-Class cars (4g was first introduced back in 2009), and their reluctance to engage in any activity that does not generate revenue for them (they could have switched to another provider and reprogramme the cars accordingly, or sell a 4g upgrade kit, but I guess they worked out that there won't be many takers given that it only applies to cars sold between 5 and 10 years ago).

The reason that it can't be retrofitted, is that new hardware can be installed, but the 'connected car' is a service provided by MB, and if they no longer provide this service to your car's VIN then new hardware won't really help.

We have an expert who says they now can upgrade the communications module to 4G and all services can be re-established. Unfortunately the dealer network is not active but it should not take long before someone offers the same service in the UK.

We have an expert who says they now can upgrade the communications module to 4G and all services can be re-established. Unfortunately the dealer network is not active but it should not take long before someone offers the same service in the UK.

This is very interesting.

The reason for my post was that I tried having the KOM Module (3g Modem) retrofitted to my W204 in order to get the TomTom Live Traffic service on my COMAND NTG4.7, but was advised just that - i.e. no problem to retrofit the hardware, but if the service was unavailable for my car's VIN, then no amount of SCN coding will make it work, and MB won't activate it either.

This meant that even if the basic connectivity is achieved, I won't be able to pay and subscribe to services that are not available for my car's VIN.

This is how it was explained to me at the time, however things may have changed since, or someone found a way to do this, I don't know.

This is very interesting.

The reason for my post was that I tried having the KOM Module (3g Modem) retrofitted to my W204 in order to get the TomTom Live Traffic service on my COMAND NTG4.7, but was advised just that - i.e. no problem to retrofit the hardware, but if the service was unavailable for my car's VIN, then no amount of SCN coding will make it work, and MB won't activate it either.

This meant that even if the basic connectivity is achieved, I won't be able to pay and subscribe to services that are not available for my car's VIN.

This is how it was explained to me at the time, however things may have changed since, or someone found a way to do this, I don't know.

Yes, it is not as simple as swapping the module and SCN coding. I don't know the details but with the help from "factory experts" they manage to authorise the new module and make the MB servers accept it. Hopefully MB workshops take care of this too some time soon.

Yes, it is not as simple as swapping the module and SCN coding. I don't know the details but with the help from "factory experts" they manage to authorise the new module and make the MB servers accept it. Hopefully MB workshops take care of this too some time soon.
It would be good if they can do that in the U.K. I know there are the beginnings of a couple of class actions against MB in the USA because of this.

Just because Vodafone shutdown their 3G services, shouldn’t mean we older car owners lose functionality with no hope of reinstatement.

Personally, I would be willing to pay for the work to be carried out to my car (within reason).

Is it really true that support is being dropped for all cars over 3 years old, when as above the C Class has had the 4G module for 5 years?

Is it really true that support is being dropped for all cars over 3 years old, when as above the C Class has had the 4G module for 5 years?
‘Older’ cars in this instance seems to be cars fitted with the UMTS module. Which in MB world means cars built up to the end of 2016 and ‘select’ 2017 cars (which frustratingly is my car).

Anything built after that time should have an LTE module and is unaffected (I think!).

Have had the same issue as the op, mine is 2017.

Tyre pressure is still showing, hopefully that stays. Can anyone else confirm if that will remain so.

Attached screen shot is all I have now.

Attachments

• IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
Have had the same issue as the op, mine is 2017.

Tyre pressure is still showing, hopefully that stays. Can anyone else confirm if that will remain so.

Attached screen shot is all I have now.
I still have tyre pressures too - but I see you have Geo-Fencing still there, if you're already losing services then that may go shortly. I only found out mine was gone when I clicked on the locator arrow and all I got 'The vehicle location is unavailable'....

Geo-fencing subscription expires in a week or so.

To be honest I haven’t used the lock or unlock feature that much, so won’t really miss it.

Tyre pressure would miss if it went, as it’s convenient feature, appreciate this can be seen from within the car, but a nice feature to have on the phone.

(M/Y 2019): Geo-location/Vehicle search is unavailable where I live and has been so from the date of purchase even though this menu item is displayed in the app-panel . The basic services I enjoy is Trip-data, Tyre pressure, Service status, Vehicle status (locked/unlocked), "OTA-software status", ECO-Display.

If I want any more of the available services, the subscription is some € 300 per year.

About one week ago, Mercedes kindly sent me two .PDF's. One with feature list update/changes and one with updated terms of use. The list of available services varies from region to region. I guess some of the differences may be due to legislation and some due to matter of privacy.

FWIW vehicle location can be turned off in the cluster menus, in which case the app can't display its position.

We use the lock function quite often - Mrs BTB has a habit of putting the car in the garage and leaving it unlocked. Also trip data, in particular the remaining range ... it's handy to know whether you'll need to stop for fuel before going out.

Just because Vodafone shutdown their 3G services, shouldn’t mean we older car owners lose functionality with no hope of reinstatement.
Unfortunately Mercedes can’t promise to make the service available forever, as they are dependent upon others (in this case Vodafone) who can’t promise to make the service available forever.

Minimum periods - and associated incentives and/or penalties - can be written into contracts but it would be foolish for either or both parties to commit to that, and so wouldn’t happen.

Making the Smartphone the transmitter and receiver would have helped in this specific scenario but wouldn’t eliminate the risk of other services becoming obsolete for other reasons.

In fact the MercedesMe service for older vehicles with an OBDII port but without a KOM module transmitted data from an OBDII plug through an app, and that’s being discontinued too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom