• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sudden loss of Mercedes.Me functionality

Drove to Basingstoke a bit more than a week ago and ever since then, app is not updating with the latest data :/ I guess it's end of the line for older vehicles using the app?

Hmm ... that's when I was having problems with ours not updating. Did a 350 mile trip yesterday (long day!) and all seemed to be working fine again though :dk:

I read somewhere a while ago, that using 3G for the early 205 was a Mercedes UK decision, based on cost (I presume) and that other markets were using 4G. I haven't found a link though, but will share it if I do find a source.

Would I be right in saying that the emergency call button in the car along with Live Traffic information will soon be lost for 3G based cars? Ours is a 2016, so is definitely 3G.

Another feature of Mercedes Me that went AWOL some time ago was the option to send a sat-nav destination to the car over the web/mobile phone network. The option is there in Meercedes Me, but it doesn't work unless the phone is connected to the car by Bluetooth (or cable).

I read somewhere a while ago, that using 3G for the early 205 was a Mercedes UK decision, based on cost (I presume) and that other markets were using 4G. I haven't found a link though, but will share it if I do find a source.

Would I be right in saying that the emergency call button in the car along with Live Traffic information will soon be lost for 3G based cars? Ours is a 2016, so is definitely 3G.

Another feature of Mercedes Me that went AWOL some time ago was the option to send a sat-nav destination to the car over the web/mobile phone network. The option is there in Meercedes Me, but it doesn't work unless the phone is connected to the car by Bluetooth (or cable).
Mines 4g lte and I’ve had issues recently with the car not having connectivity & showing sos in the signal bit.

I’m continually getting mails from Vodafone saying my subscription has ended then started etc. looks like some kind of back end issue to me with cars likely being unregistered from the network for periods of time.

Bonus chaos for those with 3G who go to areas where Vodafone has removed 3G.

Looks like Basingstoke and Plymouth lost 3G first.

Drove to Basingstoke a bit more than a week ago and ever since then, app is not updating with the latest data :/ I guess it's end of the line for older vehicles using the app?

called mercedes me support separately and the guy on the phone was very confident he knew what's going on. said he will send instructions via the email. well...delete the app and reinstall was his suggestion lol

Basingstoke & Plymouth are the 1st places Vodafone switched 3G off.

A bit strange given that I don't live there and it hasn't reconnected/updated since then. Had multiple long-ish drives as well. In any case, it's just delaying the inevitable until Feb 24 when it goes puff for everyone.

This is all news to me! Couldn't Mercedes have told us somewhere in the endless stream of T&C update emails?

I have a paid sub for live traffic - which now will work intermittently and then not at all?

There will come a time when cars, like computers and peripheral devices, will be suddenly render as bricks by some software decision. And that's the end of them.

This is all news to me! Couldn't Mercedes have told us somewhere in the endless stream of T&C update emails?

I have a paid sub for live traffic - which now will work intermittently and then not at all?

There will come a time when cars, like computers and peripheral devices, will be suddenly render as bricks by some software decision. And that's the end of them.

Worse than that, newer cars will be required to be permanently connected to the internet so your driving can be monitored and charged for in real time plus infringements can mean instant punishment & insurance increases. Do something wrong when no one is about to have been impacted or report you and you’ll still be in trouble.

Like smart meters, having something that will soon stop connecting to the internet may not be a bad thing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Worse than that, newer cars will be required to be permanently connected to the internet so your driving can be monitored and charged for in real time plus infringements can mean instant punishment & insurance increases. Do something wrong when no one is about to have been impacted or report you and you’ll still be in trouble.

Like smart meters, having something that will soon stop connecting to the internet may not be a bad thing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

1984 all the way… very sad state of affairs

I'm sure you're right but I've been through the last years' worth of them just now and can't see anything. Presumably buried mid-paragraph somewhere obscure.

Older cars will become like burner phones, a boon for criminals and anyone who doesn't want to be quite so closely tracked!

Older cars will become like burner phones, a boon for criminals and anyone who doesn't want to be quite so closely tracked!
Early 2030 amg’s may rise in value as will the insurance.

Speaking of which I’m getting silly quotes of £1k when last year it was sub £500.

I'm sure you're right but I've been through the last years' worth of them just now and can't see anything. Presumably buried mid-paragraph somewhere obscure.
Mercedes didn’t notify owners of the 3g and MercedesMe service stop, they waited for owners to contact them.

I was then told my Dealer will have told me 🤣 no chance of that. I still use Me for fuel level and state. It still tells me my car is unlocked, do i want to lock it? But of course i cannot. There’s dumb, and there’s Mercedes UK dumb..

Early 2030 amg’s may rise in value as will the insurance.

Speaking of which I’m getting silly quotes of £1k when last year it was sub £500.
I meant early 2023, I guess 2030 would be approaching the next gen running on banana peels and limited to 87mph 😊

I wonder if this is also affecting 4g in some way as since the beginning of December, my app has been dropping connection more times than it works, although I am sure mine is already 4g/lte as it was built early 2023.

I am in south west Hampshire.

Just did a VIN ‘build sheet’ lookup and found our 2016 car to have
367 - Live Traffic Capability
360 - Hermes Communications Module UMTS (3G)

I did read somewhere that the system will still be able use 2G (which Vodafone are not switching off yet). Don’t know if this will still allow Live Traffic or Emergency calls, eg. if the airbags are triggered.

So, having paid for Live Traffic Updates in Sep ‘23 thru Sep ‘24, I‘m expecting to become somewhat annoyed when this functionality becomes disabled in the near future (I think Vodaphone are going for Jan ‘24)…

Later cars need to have something like
362 - Hermes Communications Modules LTE (4G)

Just did a VIN ‘build sheet’ lookup and found our 2016 car to have
367 - Live Traffic Capability
360 - Hermes Communications Module UMTS (3G)

I did read somewhere that the system will still be able use 2G (which Vodafone are not switching off yet). Don’t know if this will still allow Live Traffic or Emergency calls, eg. if the airbags are triggered.

So, having paid for Live Traffic Updates in Sep ‘23 thru Sep ‘24, I‘m expecting to become somewhat annoyed when this functionality becomes disabled in the near future (I think Vodaphone are going for Jan ‘24)…

Later cars need to have something like
362 - Hermes Communications Modules LTE (4G)

That's slightly worrying, mine has: 362 - Hermes Communications Modules LTE 🫣

Ok slight update.

Since the app update a few days ago it was working perfectly fine but just got home went to use the app to lock it and now have the limited connection warning pop up again.

Sild the button to lock the vehicle and it locked but didn’t update the app to show it as locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom