Suzzie, the CLK 500 so this happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends on what shockers you fit. I have just fitted a Bilstein set up all round with B8 shocks and struts and Eibach springs. Cost a few bob, but the ride quality is superb, a job well worth doing.

😍

Noise gone? Mine makes an annoying squish noise from the back left (at low speed going over speed bumps etc) which have never been able to resolve. I replaced shocks, springs, AR bushes and a few bushes an indy did. Still there, given up.

The ride with fresh Bilstein B4/elegance spec springs on all corners is smoooth! Surely as good as it gets without air suspension - very similar to the LS400 I had.

Boot lining was very easy 2 plastic retainers Each side , That’s all along with the boot separator up.
No need to touch any wires/loom.

Horatio, have you replaced your centre sway bar? As I’ve had this done mine was very corroded perhaps the cause of your noise twisting in the new rubbers ??

That is a handsome Coupe - nice to see some other members who enjoy cleaning all the fiddly bits in the engine bay that no-one really sees.... but us... ;)

Horatio, have you replaced your centre sway bar? As I’ve had this done mine was very corroded perhaps the cause of your noise twisting in the new rubbers ??
Rear bar looks ok. No play anywhere. I’ve given up!

Front bar replaced. I took it to WG after buying - was advised to just replace every front suspension arm, bush etc in one hit. Aligned at WIM. Wasn’t cheap but it must be at least 5 years so it’s surely paid off. The trick is to not get bored of the car and sell after splashing ££££ on maintenance. Been there, done that countless times 🤣

Ok not much to report , we have the usual leaky rear main and rocker covers so I will be sorting that very soon , also replaced the breather hoses whilst I thought of it.
I’ve took a couple of weeks off work so got onto detailing under bonnet.

69832A09-DE48-4D71-9419-1E52D0392992.jpeg
400B0408-4DBF-4238-BABF-4D1D0F4071BC.jpeg
FD0C0501-8C24-42E8-A971-BACB09989996.jpeg
Been here before lol
9FB6B73B-805F-49D8-8FC7-2D4776B19B09.jpeg
Tobe continued

Well did some more today, started on the left hand side of the engine , pollen filter housing battery area worked forward doing the abs pump and chassis rails.
Then degreased the left rocker cover and having a clean on the way.
Using wd40 and paint brush with a rag.
F38A3F5A-1C23-4D2B-98DD-5387EA6A0B7A.jpeg
0CF672DD-45EC-4697-BC1D-72C7BEDD3F69.jpeg
390691BF-7E64-401C-9546-35E3E1CD2666.jpeg
DDE48B93-F496-4C70-838B-693CB6B8B926.jpeg
BF84B243-0248-49B6-A421-2844FB5438AB.jpeg
5834200F-A8F4-48EE-98D2-5D03A5D9BC84.jpeg
5ADA184A-DFD3-4B6F-9F1C-7FF657102EA0.jpeg
566ECA19-5479-4EC1-9917-C8C3BB18602E.jpeg
1D54C014-BD30-4C39-994D-0ADFEB469F6F.jpeg
2DFE569C-7A78-418E-AD11-86D5ECFB1AFE.jpeg
211EAA04-BD23-41EC-AB1D-B45FE53C359F.jpeg
Now todo the other half wen I have other 4-5 hrs spare.

Small update,

Recent works all minor

Washer fluid level sensor replaced
Header tank level sensor replaced both connected as was getting the "low washer level" and Check coolant both sensor run the same loop and fault now rectified :)

Brand new KYB replacement front shocks and 2x new front anti roll bar link.

Oil and filter change at 73,000 miles

I think she will be for sale shortly much to my regret, i sustained a back injury and i cannot get comfortable any longer due to lack of lumbar support :(

Replacement probably a E class 211, or CLS of the same vintage.

Last edited:
Small update,

Recent works all minor

Washer fluid level sensor replaced
Header tank level sensor replaced both connected as was getting the "low washer level" and Check coolant both sensor run the same loop and fault now rectified :)

Brand new KYB replacement front shocks and 2x new front anti roll bar link.

Oil and filter change at 73,000 miles

I think she will be for sale shortly much to my regret, i sustained a back injury and i cannot get comfortable any longer due to lack of lumbar support :(

Replacement probably a E class 211, or CLS of the same vintage.
Sorry to hear of your back troubles, I to have had issues with my back since a drunken car accident in 1977 so I feel your pain. The car looks great now and should sell easily.
Is it possible to upgrade your seats??
kc

Sorry to hear of your back troubles, I to have had issues with my back since a drunken car accident in 1977 so I feel your pain. The car looks great now and should sell easily.
Is it possible to upgrade your seats??
kc
i was looking at the later orthopedic ones but couldn't find any with electric fwd and aft adjustment..

Have you thought about adding a manual inflating bladder into the seat?

Sorry to hear that G.

If you haven't already, make sure you see a good osteo and physio before you give up.

They are not cheap but can fix a multitude of sins.

Have you thought about adding a manual inflating bladder into the seat?
No buddy, but trying to get a decent business around here id trust would be a nightmare, @W1ghty thankyou for your suggestion about how to get in and out, YOU! have made alot of difference buddy i thankyou i still have tobe careful.

My back seems tobe getting better "touch wood" managed 1 1/2 hrs yesterday in the car felt ok, but still think something alittle more comfortable would suit me better, "alittle more space" inside and more supportive seats.

No buddy, but trying to get a decent business around here id trust would be a nightmare, @W1ghty thankyou for your suggestion about how to get in and out, YOU! have made alot of difference buddy i thankyou i still have tobe careful.

My back seems tobe getting better "touch wood" managed 1 1/2 hrs yesterday in the car felt ok, but still think something alittle more comfortable would suit me better, "alittle more space" inside and more supportive seats.
I’ve been doing it for years , I tell everyone with back issues to do it properly, once you get used to it you will find that to put one leg in then to twist your body and hips to get in feels very wrong for us back sufferers.
Glad it worked!

The other top tip with driving , for me anyway . Is to make sure your thigh weight is supported otherwise their weight drags your pelvis forward and out of line with the spine . The easiest way to do this is for the front of the seat base to be up and the back of the seat base to be lower .
Also the upright back of the seat , try tilting that back more so that it helps take some of your upper body weight rather than all your weight resting on your lower spine when you are driving (if it’s too vertical) .
I think you will find that the combination of seat base and main upright tilting should make a difference to you .
Heat also tends to dull back pain with the heated seats

Multi contour seats have really eased the pain I get with sitting in certain type car seats. The ones I currently have in my w212 are the most comfortable and been the most benefit to my back pain. That I don't get to much of these days. 100% to do with the seats.

W1ighty's posts above I couldn't agree more with.

It might be a case of trying out the different seated options that come with the vehicle you fancy. Have you thought about the higher type vehicles, like the ML and such. Just a thought. Hope you find what suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom