• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tail lamp warning back up bulb

jub2009

Car
C Class W205
CLK W209 2005

Ok , So I get 2 warning messages

1 - Left tail lamp out
2 - Left tail lamp back up bulb on

I've had a jiggle about with the offending bulb and I am stumped as nothing happens !

Now i've never really paid much attention to the rear lights but I am assuming that the tail lamp bulb is the bulb on the bottom of the cluster and that the brake light takes over as the back up bulb ?

Warning messeage is still there , I have removed keys from ignition , put them back in but still the message appears , Any ideas ?

It's driving me &^%^%$^$ crazy

Have you checked the fuses?

I had the same in my W208. Spent quite a bit of time checking bulbs and cleaning connections, just turned out to be a fuse in the end.

What fuse box are the lights on ?

Sorry can't help you out exactly. Usually though open up the fuse box in the footwell (was in W208) and a list of all the fuses is given on the inside of the cover.

I had this on my w203.
because the 'backup' is active, it is acive for both sides, so looks symmetrical when braking....
Find the offeding bulb, check manual for which location, and change it, it will all become clear once you just change the bulb.
dont look for the broken filament, you'll never find it!
this was a mare for me, as i swapped left and right to make sure, but it was still the same...
not sure of the bulb layout on a w209, but check the manual...

I had this on my w203.
because the 'backup' is active, it is acive for both sides, so looks symmetrical when braking....
Find the offeding bulb, check manual for which location, and change it, it will all become clear once you just change the bulb.
this was a mare for me, as i swapped left and right to make sure, but it was still the same...

No , But I may be wrong !!!! , And I will tell you why

This is getting strange , So no key in ignition and I lock the doors so the lights are on the delay , If i remove the brake light (top bulb) the tail lights come on bottomm bulb as it should be , As soon as I replace the brake bulb the tail light bulb goes off again , Then with the engine running the tail light bulbs won't come on at all and the brake lights take over the tail light function , If I remove the brake bulb whilst the engine is running there are no lights on the rear at all , So I deducted that it's not any of the bulbs as they all seem to work but not in the correct order .

Last edited:
I had this on my w203.

Thank you , thank you :), I went round checking every bulb changing them over , y'know fault finding and all that stuff , NONE of the filaments looked broken and ALL of the bulbs lit , However after going to Halfords and spending £9 on four new bulbs , I changed them over and like magic the fault cleared and all the bulbs are now working doing the correct function :bannana: ,

Q - When is a blown bulb not a blown bulb ?

A - When it's in a Mercedes !!! :doh:

glad its fixed!
some of these bulbs have two filaments, i think there is one that 21w/4w and another 21w/5w.
these are the backup bulbs, as it can provide two functions....

Wow, Halfords! You are made of money..... try using a local factors like CAF or Unipart. Bulbs will be much cheaper there! Or get yourself a Halfords Trade Card if you can

Wow, Halfords! You are made of money..... try using a local factors like CAF or Unipart. Bulbs will be much cheaper there! Or get yourself a Halfords Trade Card if you can

I'll just put them thru the company ,Voila .......:bannana: FREE !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom