The E63 I now own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ran some errands this evening, supermarket and then picked up a takeaway - at no point did the stop/start emerge from being inactive. Should I assume that yesterdays trip home from the dealer drained the battery to the extent that it doesn't have enough to work until I've done a longer run at higher speed? Todays errands were all within London, so ~20mph most of the time.

That Avon almost had the last laugh - I had three out of four wheels changed over to the winters, with the OSF left. Started to try to free the bolts off and they'd clearly been tightened up with Gods own rattle-gun to something like a billion Nm.

I genuinely thought I was stuck, but eventually I got them to crack. ~73kg of me and a 3' torque wrench succeeded using bouncing, of which I'm not proud, but needs must.

Anyway, done now and the car is on four Sotto-Zero, so I shall report back as to whether they improve the traction.
They’ll transform it.

I ran some errands this evening, supermarket and then picked up a takeaway - at no point did the stop/start emerge from being inactive. Should I assume that yesterdays trip home from the dealer drained the battery to the extent that it doesn't have enough to work until I've done a longer run at higher speed? Todays errands were all within London, so ~20mph most of the time.
Difficult to say. I think I would invest in a battery conditioner, well worth the money.

I have not got the channels/tracks- instead I have tie-down points.

The tracks look more flexible, can they be retrofit?

I got a set of these for the GT as they dot seem to do the floor rails anymore like they did in the CLS SB... solved the problem of shallow bag hooks and flailing shopping (its does fit S212 also):

Was this not what the new battery was to fix? :confused:

Did they replace the Aux battery behind / next to the glove box as well as the main ?

Edit.....I was under the impression that it was a defunct Aux that caused stop/start to be inoperative, not the main.

It worked on the way home yesterday, today it doesn't work. That's all I have to go on - and no they didn't replace the aux battery.

I'm going mountain biking tomorrow so I'll give the car a long run, see if that charges things up.

If not then I suppose we need more diagnostic time, but I doubt that Harratt's are going to keep funding this ad infinitum.

The "hold" works - I seem to recall that someone mentioned that that should be kaput if it was the aux battery that was dead?

The engine being running may be the deciding factor on the hold function.

A working battery and not being able to supply enough juice for a modern car is a fine line. My guess is that at MB, the car was on a supply that potentially topped up the Aux enough to perform for yesterday.

Don't forget that on a high speed run 2k rpms is about 80mph, which isn't more than pooling around town :p

I guess I could test that fairly easily by clipping the CTEK onto the aux when I get home (if the stop/start doesn't start working).

With a brand new battery, fitted yesterday (and working when you collected it), I wouldn’t have expected it to need plugging in to charge up so soon.

I suspect the fault has not been resolved.

Would anyone care to wager on whether MB Bromley propose to charge me another diagnostic fee, should I take it back there?

Tell you what you are a lot calmer than I'd be.

Almost £700 for a £160 battery yet the fault remains.

You did get the old battery back I hope?

I did not get the old battery back, no.

I’m not angry, but I won’t stop until this is correct, and I suspect that might mean having a forthright chat with MB Bromley. We shall see.

This thread reminds me why I only use indies

Hi Dammit, Thanks for starting and maintaining such an entertaining thread. Stop-Start in my experience is highly temperamental in the winter, especially in weather like the recent cold snap, even after long journeys, and particularly in, er, stop-start traffic when the engine is fairly cold. I’ve been experiencing it the past few days myself.

I also had a problem with my last CLS‘s S-S and the garage struggled to solve it, eventually replacing both batteries under warranty, which improved matters somewhat, but if the engine wasn’t up to full temperature it still had a tendency to stop working - and sometimes even during a long journey too. As an earlier poster said switching the air-con off can be the difference between it working and not working sometimes. That was often the case for me. It seems to be quite a complex system which needs the engine to be conforming to a number of parameters relating to warmth, emissions levels, battery charge etc, and that is probably why it can be difficult to track down the problem.

So even with a new battery you may not immediately notice a difference. It may or may not be the complete answer. Taking it to someone you can trust who does have a clue would be worthwhile - not sure MB Bromley fall into that category (but they darn well should be)...

Despite that I hope that you are enjoying your stunning car. Interested in hearing how you are getting on with the winter tyres and what difference they make too.

Just because it didn't work yesterday doesn't mean it's faulty.
See how it goes over the next week instead of a knee jerk reaction.
Try to enjoy it instead of worrying.
Mine doesn't work every time I drive it.

I can categorically say that - in every car I’ve owned with stop/start - that it either works all the time or, if it’s temperamental, there’s another issue.

40 miles to Swinley Forest this morning- nothing from the stop/start.
Also I now get a tyre pressure warning- it highlights the DSF tyre, which is off as it’s a)at the correct pressure and b) the same pressure as the OSF.

I did not get the old battery back, no.

I’m not angry, but I won’t stop until this is correct, and I suspect that might mean having a forthright chat with MB Bromley. We shall see.

I'd have got the old battery back but then I used to collect batteries and sell to scrap man when I was young. :)

40 miles to Swinley Forest this morning- nothing from the stop/start.
Also I now get a tyre pressure warning- it highlights the DSF tyre, which is off as it’s a)at the correct pressure and b) the same pressure as the OSF.

Reset it and see how it goes on way back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom