The E63 I now own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For what it’s worth, my GL63 (different car, same M157 power unit) hasn’t been used much lately - and mainly shorter trips too recently, but within minutes of heading out this morning it was doing it’s thing. That’s with the usual loads at this time of year - heated seats, climate control working away, entertainment stuff on etc.

Parked up after ~ 15 miles and restarted a couple of times during the day and it’s been stopping and starting as you would expect eg traffic lights etc or when queueing.

Mine’s a 2013, so a year or two older than yours, but I suspect it’s broadly similar in terms of the factors that enable stop/start to function.

Have never needed to put mine on charge either - not would I expect yours to need to be, especially after your 300 miles trip last week, a brand new battery from the dealer and a 40 mile run this morning.

For what it’s worth, my GL63 (different car, same M157 power unit) hasn’t been used much lately - and mainly shorter trips too recently, but within minutes of heading out this morning it was doing it’s thing. That’s with the usual loads at this time of year - heated seats, climate control working away, entertainment stuff on etc.

Parked up after ~ 15 miles and restarted a couple of times during the day and it’s been stopping and starting as you would expect eg traffic lights etc or when queueing.

Mine’s a 2013, so a year or two older than yours, but I suspect it’s broadly similar in terms of the factors that enable stop/start to function.

Have never needed to put mine on charge either - not would I expect yours to need to be, especially after your 300 miles trip last week, a brand new battery from the dealer and a 40 mile run this morning.
GLE 63 for sale at Culloden motors is that the same as yours?

These look really interesting - thanks. Do they fit in the plastic tray like the other telescopic luggage dividers do you know?
They will do on your car for sure. The upright sections are identical to the ones that go in the vehicles with rails in the boot floor. The 'feet' on these can stay connected/clipped over the boot floor hatch and the bars removed easily on the version I bought, alas the GT has no pre-moulded insert for them to stow away.

GLE 63 for sale at Culloden motors is that the same as yours?
Not familiar with the car or dealer, but the GLE is the new name for the ML and came in with the ‘166’ chassis facelift. The GL (mine) changed to the GLS.

It’s still a ‘166’ chassis but known as an X166 - a bit longer and more space, plus seven seats as standard etc :thumb:

They’ve just brought in a new model within the last year IIRC - still known as GLE and GLS respectively.

More questions - sorry chaps.

I'm looking for reasons that the stop-start would not have been working that aren't "it's borked", from what people have said it's very sensitive to a large number of factors - temperature being one and voltage of the two batteries another.

Does anyone know the temperature range within which it should be expected to work?
I have 'Stop start with extended restart', but this doesn't mean much as in the average traffic jam it will stop 3-4 times for up to a minute, and then won't do it again for at least 30 minutes. I think thats just how the system operates in the V8 cars.

2015 wagon. No battery change, main or aux since new
Lives on CTEK charger since purchase May 2019
Stop / Start switched off on any C mode driving

The car is now definitely trolling me. Gave the Mrs a lift over to babysit for some friends of hers, drivers side rear tyre throws up an alert - it's dropped from 280 Kpa to 225. Oh-oh.

I pump it back up to 280, drive home. Just now I go to pick her up again - tyre does it again, drops to 225 but once it's dropped it's rock solid. I pumped it back up a couple of minutes ago and will check it tomorrow morning, and then go to a repair place if any are open.

Just me, or this strike anyone else as odd?

Not familiar with the car or dealer, but the GLE is the new name for the ML and came in with the ‘166’ chassis facelift. The GL (mine) changed to the GLS.

It’s still a ‘166’ chassis but known as an X166 - a bit longer and more space, plus seven seats as standard etc :thumb:

They’ve just brought in a new model within the last year IIRC - still known as GLE and GLS respectively.
Apoogies just checked the ad again ,its a 2014 GL63 with 58500 miles at £32995

The car is now definitely trolling me. Gave the Mrs a lift over to babysit for some friends of hers, drivers side rear tyre throws up an alert - it's dropped from 280 Kpa to 225. Oh-oh.

I pump it back up to 280, drive home. Just now I go to pick her up again - tyre does it again, drops to 225 but once it's dropped it's rock solid. I pumped it back up a couple of minutes ago and will check it tomorrow morning, and then go to a repair place if any are open.

Definitely seems odd - I’d keep an eye on it tomorrow. You’ve possibly got a screw/nail in the tyre or a cracked rim... :(

You’ve possibly got a screw/nail in the tyre or a cracked rim... :(
Hopefully its “just” a puncture, but if it turns out to be a cracked rim, I have a rim for sale...

Apoogies just checked the ad again ,its a 2014 GL63 with 58500 miles at £32995
Sorry to OP for the OT..
Yes that’ll be similar to mine then. The facelift came around 2015/16 and transitioned to the GLS (same chassis until around 2019)

The new model came out this year AFAIK :thumb:

Hopefully its “just” a puncture, but if it turns out to be a cracked rim, I have a rim for sale...
It’s a rear, OEM 19- if that’s what you have, and my luck is running badly then I may be offering you some money later today

40 miles to Swinley Forest this morning- nothing from the stop/start.

Was that to play Golf ? A great course if you where :) :thumb: Played there many times.

It sounds like either a slow puncture or a slightly damaged rim, and the car when stopped is sitting at a place to slowly let air out but it was fine on the move. I’ve had that before with a slow puncture thankfully where I had to watch where I stopped the car for a couple of days until I could get it repaired. Hope it’s the former for you too.

Could it be that the damaged wheel was noted incorrectly and hence when the whee was rechecked there was nothing but brake dust?

It is. A standard facelift E63 19x9.5" ET52 10-spoke wheel in Titanium / High-Sheen finish.
Funny thing, but maybe just shows my lack of experience in very wide tyres but a 285 on a 9.5" seems a little miss-matched.

The car is at Kwik-Fit at the moment so I should get some news shortly.

Last edited:
Could it be that the damaged wheel was noted incorrectly and hence when the whee was rechecked there was nothing but brake dust?
The wheels that are on it now are not the ones that were on it when it went to MB Bromley - then it had the summers it came with, now it's wearing the winters I picked up from the chap in Swindon.

The wheels that are on it now are not the ones that were on it when it went to MB Bromley - then it had the summers it came with, now it's wearing the winters I picked up from the chap in Swindon.
Ahhhh, got you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom