The end of British number plates?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't see the problem myself. The UK government have looked at changing the format over the years and the sticking point has always been out of date Chief Constables arguing that the three letter designator showing area of registration is useful to police on the street.
That was true when people weren't as mobile as they are now and when people only bought locally.

The devil in me thinks it would worth it just to see all the private plate owners gnash their teeth.

Thinking outside the box, would same format EU wide mean an EU wide 'DVLA' and would that be beneficial?

Giantvanman said:
I don't see the problem myself. The UK government have looked at changing the format over the years and the sticking point has always been out of date Chief Constables arguing that the three letter designator showing area of registration is useful to police on the street. That was true when people weren't as mobile as they are now and when people only bought locally. The devil in me thinks it would worth it just to see all the private plate owners gnash their teeth. Thinking outside the box, would same format EU wide mean an EU wide 'DVLA' and would that be beneficial?

What's wrong with having a personal plate ?

Why would you like to see those who own one 'gnash their teeth' ?

Just because you obviously don't like them doesn't mean that others can't.

There's nothing wrong with it of course. Opposition can sometimes be the politics of envy.

And this from another Hardcore member in another thread:-

"Hopefully that will get people buying petrol again.

I am getting sick with this diesel obsession, and even more annoyed when people who only do 15k miles a year buy it 'to save money'.
:wallbash:"

Why don't people just mind their own business in relation to things that have no bearing on their quality of life? They're entitled to their opinions, but so are others. What's wrong with people who continually try to force their tastes onto others? Why are they unable to work out that we do not all think in parallel lines?

I don't see the problem myself. The UK government have looked at changing the format over the years and the sticking point has always been out of date Chief Constables arguing that the three letter designator showing area of registration is useful to police on the street.
?

I thought the 3 letter part on current plates was random, and anyone can buy via DVLA, so plates cannot be relied on to show area of registration.

What would make me chuckle is that ANPR cameras supposedly can't recognise wrongly spaced characters on a plate, so they will be useless on EU standard plates! Bring it on!!

Bear in mind chaps that the article above is from the Daily Express. This is the paper which told us that we were going to be snowed in all winter, starting in November and still being "reported" in February.

This will not happen, but it goes to promote their "Get us out of Europe" campaign.

Oh, and I buy the Express because I like the crossword in it. :(

Also I have a personal plate on my car which the DVLA sold me, and I can't see them being too keen to lose their little earner.

What a shame this forum had to suffer another pointless newspaper rant topic...

I thought the 3 letter part on current plates was random

It is. I guess the stance was from when the last 2 letters out of the 3 letters were the location on pre-09/2001 prefix and suffix plates.

The two letter prefix now denotes location on post-09/2001 plates.

There is NOTHING wrong with having a personal plate.

I actually DO like many of them, hence my visits to the thread on such.

Just because I missed out a smiley face or a little devil to show I was teasing, it doesn't mean I wasn't, hence "The devil in me thinks it would worth it just to see all the private plate owners gnash their teeth."

Now, go and pick your toys up; it's past your bedtime.:D:D:D:devil::devil::devil:
That last part is GENTLE TEASE, a JOKE if you will.

As said above

DVLA make a fortune on cherished plates (selling - transfers etc)
Why give that up?

Also EU style plates are already legal and used.

Now, go and pick your toys up; it's past your bedtime.:D:D:D:devil::devil::devil:
That last part is GENTLE TEASE, a JOKE if you will.

Yawn .... A dig with a disclaimer at the end of it :crazy:

How droll

This is something that the eurocrats have been on about for years - it'll never happen because of the huge costs involved and, from an EU perspective, is effectively shelved.

I worked on a consultative team about 5-6 years ago looking at this and, although the idea has merit in principle, there is no way it could be done effectively.

I thought the original rejection from the Police was that the year letter was the thing that stuck most in peoples minds; remembering three letters could send things wildly awry if one was in the wrong place by the time a statement was made. The 'he was driving an 'S' reg' was meant to be a bit more reliable. Similarly, with the more modern criminal - keen to impress - a '56' plate would stick in peoples minds, I suppose.

There's nothing wrong with it of course. Opposition can sometimes be the politics of envy.

And this from another Hardcore member in another thread:-

"Hopefully that will get people buying petrol again.

I am getting sick with this diesel obsession, and even more annoyed when people who only do 15k miles a year buy it 'to save money'.
:wallbash:"

Why don't people just mind their own business in relation to things that have no bearing on their quality of life? They're entitled to their opinions, but so are others. What's wrong with people who continually try to force their tastes onto others? Why are they unable to work out that we do not all think in parallel lines?

That was me who said that, and I am sick of hearing that people who do short journeys have bought it to 'save money', they just sound like *****.
I must hear it 5 times a week with my customers, many of them love their cars and to be able to afford a new Merc, BMW, Rangey or whatever toy it is they have bought this month must be pretty clued up, but when it comes to cars they seem to just become sheep and buy the latest diesel because it 'will save me money'.
Considering most of them are loosing £500+ a month in depreciation then have servicing, tyres, insurance, road tax and of course fuel on top, the difference of £10 a week saving by going petrol is not a reason to buy one.

If you want a diesel because you prefer a diesel just say that, don't try and make some financial justification for it.

Mate who works at Audi was saying he had a guy in this morning who wanted to swap his 2 year old car for a new A1 that is road tax free to 'save money'.
His answer "No problem Sir, sign here" :doh:

I have no problem with peoples choices, it is thickwitted justification that is incorrect that winds me up.

I have no problem with peoples choices, it is thickwitted justification that is incorrect that winds me up.

You can say that again. I've given up or I'm very reluctant to say anything when people tell me they are changing their car and justifying the change purely on cheaper running costs when simple maths on the back of a fag packet can prove they're fooling themselves.

What the hell I think, at least they're spending money even if it's not wisely.

We all love cars, we are on here for a start, so just say "I really fancy a new car."

It really is as simple as that.

To be honest, if you can't afford the extra £10 a week to afford petrol over diesel is a Merc the best car for you anyway?
What happens when you get that second year service that totals £900 when the brakes need doing as well?

And if petrol was £1 a litre compared with £1.40 for diesel would we honestly have people insisting they prefer diesel?

Don't get me wrong, I am driving a diesel, because the 20mpg of the petrol ML put me off, 30mpg was as low as I wanted to go doing 30k miles a year, but I have been looking at new BMWs and Mercs and diesels haven't even been considered.
They are still so unrefined compared to petrol that they take away all the refinement of it being a high end car imho.

640i vs 640d is 30 vs 35mpg.
328i vs 330d is 32 vs 38mpg.
GLA250 vs GLA220cdi is 32mpg vs 38mpg.

So price is a non issue, there are no real savings to be made choosing petrol.

I have got a 2.8i straight six Z3 at the moment and it has reminded me just how woeful diesel is. I did 200 miles in the ML350cdi on Wednesday and compared to the straight six petrol it is rough as **** and doesn't deserve to be in a Mercedes really. I get why it is, and I would have problems buying the ML350 petrol myself, but I am sure I would enjoy the petrol far more and it would always feel far more special.

But hey ho, not allowed an opinion, so better keep my mouth shut.

Last edited:
In the States, the plates are tiny, with thin letters/digits that can hardly be read from any distance, on the rear of the vehicle only, and in some circumstances it is legal not to have any plates at all. And you can't really say that the Americans don't need them due to low crime rates...

Just to show you that some authoritarian 'oh we must have these or the world will come to an end' ideas could benefit from a fresh, unbiased, open minded review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom