The end of fossil fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Aren't we meant to be at 2 tons of CO2 per capita per year now, and reducing to 0 tons by 2040, in order to keep the global average temperature below 1.5°C warming by 2100?

Can't see that happening. No flights, no ICE at all, no gas in the home etc.

I think the average UK citizen is at around 7 tons per year now, Europe are a bit more.

This is why the rulers of Saudi Arabia and Co are crapping themselves. They have nothing to offer the world other than oil, that is predicted to run out (Saudi) in 40 years time.

Then what ? They are moving to financial models such as Singapore , Honk Kong etc and tourism . I probably won't be around to see it but it's coming.

... I've not read every single post on this thread but see all sides of the argument
Me and the misses'll be just fine as when we can't run the 2 Mercs in the background of this pic, we'll just saddle up our 2 horsepower (s) and ride off into the sunset!! ;) :D:D

... I'll get my coat.. !

Attachments

• IMG_20180408_170403.jpg
    IMG_20180408_170403.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 8
When clean energy is available to the mass market at a compelling price point my crystal ball says we'll see big reduction in CO2 output.

Steps are being taken on that path. As an example, solar panels for your home now are - on a like for like basis - less than half the price they were only a few years ago. And they are still improving the price-performance point as it's such a competitive market.

I'm not an advocate of solar in particular, just observations of markets that affect wider society.

We still need to fund fusion more, but local generation will be the future even if it's at a town level.

Our quite unique liberalized power market in the UK doesn't lend itself to local generation and micro grids, but it's certainly growing.

Would be great to see fusion becoming a commercial reality!

The country needs more electric cars and smart meters before we can go full renewable, without giant generators to spin up and down as demand fluctuates the power supply goes all out of whack but if enough people have cars with giant battery packs plugged into houses then the smart meter can run the house from the car batteries to keep things on an even keel as more or less wind, wave or solar power is switched in and out, it's not just a worry about brownouts you need to keep the frequency steady as well or lots of stuff either dies or malfunctions, many mains powered digital clocks get there timings from the mains frequency for example.

As for petrol being banned, there will be artificial fuels available to those who want to use them, wont be as cheap or widely available, but i bet horse owners were worried about hay availability as cars took over and there are still plenty of nags about.

The way the grid works in the UK has and continues to be whole inefficient on so many levels, not only peak management but the actual work of distribution.

I for one look for to localised power generation via solar and wind, backed up by local grid level battery packs and domestic energy storage.

It is probably extremely unlikely that there is enough lithium and rare earth metals to supply sufficient batteries to support displacement of petrol/diesel, as things stand. it does suggest that there is a need for hydrogen to transport energy - ultimately the costs of generating and distributing electrical energy will become prohibitive.

AlexM - you've hit the nail on the head. Once hydrogen is extracted from water using renewable energy - realistically the only clean/green way of doing it, but still quite expensive - then transporting it and using it is actually relatively simple and not massive cost. It's produced in the millions of tons worldwide now as both a waste product and also feedstock in various petrochem processes, although predominantly through SMR which is not very green.

For those particularly interested in hydrogen cars (I am despite having an E55...) check out

www.riversimple.com

A brilliant little Welsh company trying to turn car design AND car ownership in it's head.

Hydrogen is quite difficult to store and transport as it happens, it can seep through solid steel and damage metals at the molecular level, there are quite a lot of reasons why we are not already using it as a fuel, even in rockets its not always first choice despite it lightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom