• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

The new car market is heavily dependent on business leases - my guess is that the majority of new EV registrations are in fact business leases (due to the low BIK). I wonder if this shows a downturn in the economy?
I would suggest that the entire EV market is distorted by taxation measures. Were they as good as is claimed, such measures would be unneccesary , neither would the manufactures have their begging bowls out !

Carmakers ramp up pressure on chancellor for EV sales subsidies

Latest 2024 YTD new car registration figures from the SMMT - BEV is at 17.8% market share (1.4% up on the same period in 2023). 22% market share for hybrids, and almost 54% for petrol.

1728032591123.png

The data for vans hasn't yet been updated to include September.

Understood.
Don't think so.
So how do we help speed it up? Subsidies?
Speeding it up will only worsen the auto makers' plight. Delay at least permits them to sell what they can turn a profit on - ICE.
The elephant in the room is the fact that unless what is required is done a whole lot better than it currently is, strong economies and ecological concerns are mutually exclusive. Western economies prosper through continual consumption - the converse of what is required ecologically. They show no signs of being able to adapt.

I would suggest that the entire EV market is distorted by taxation measures. Were they as good as is claimed, such measures would be unneccesary , neither would the manufactures have their begging bowls out !

Carmakers ramp up pressure on chancellor for EV sales subsidies

But it's not unique to EVs.

Firstly, taxation (low BIK) was originally used to get business users to lease Diesel cars, and this goes back 10 or 15 years.

Then, the automotive industry has been suffering badly for a very long time. For some time now, the UK no longer has any independent car manufacturers, and in the US the three big automakers were already bailed out by the Federal government as early as 2010.

What you describe is true, but it's typical to the car industry and has happened before, I.e. none of what you describe is unique to EVs.

The issue here is that every time there's a issue related to EVs, the EV-bashers pounce on it as if it's something that only ever happened with EVs. Which, in this case, is obviously false.

Last edited:

. As far as I know we have no measurable feedback that says we have slowed the rate of global warming by what we have done to date.
To date, we haven't scratched the surface of what is required. The majority of the public really aren't doing anything meaningful at the personal level to reduce their CO2 footprint. Please don't ask me what is required. The utilitarian answer to that question isn't one I'm proffering for at least a decade.

To date, we haven't scratched the surface of what is required. The majority of the public really aren't doing anything meaningful at the personal level to reduce their CO2 footprint. Please don't ask me what is required. The utilitarian answer to that question isn't one I'm proffering for at least a decade.

As a country we have been reducing our green house gas emissions steadily and they have halved in the last 30 years and they are still falling by more than 5 % per year. So that's more than scratched the surface at a personal level. At a personal level my heating emissions have come down by a factor of 3 in the last 30 years so I'm more than doing my bit

What it hasn't scratched the surface of is global warning as temperatures are still rising. That's what I was on about when I said there is no feedback that shows a result for our efforts.

It's in that light that I am alarmed at net zero zealotry which is going to wreck our economy and for what ? an outcome that isn't measurable. The thing about setting an example to the rest of the world is just nonsense. If we achieve net zero but wreck our economy then the world is hardly likely to follow our example and wreck their own.

Given that we can make precious little impact on global warming, the sensible thing for us to do is continue the good work of the last 30 years and steadily reduce our emissions in a rational manner without a major punitive effect on the economy. How is it our politicians can't see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom