• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

Of course there have been warmer period and temps rising and falling through time.....but the big difference this time is the RATE of change. There are no recorded incidents (in ice cores and rock samples) of the temps EVER increasing at the rate they have since the industrial revolution. So in the past the ecosystem, animals etc etc have had far longer to evolve or migrate to cope than the planet has now.
The natural variability of earths climate. Thanks to geology science has million of years worth of data demonstrating that natural variability. What science does not have is corresponding temperature data over that prolonged period. Which makes proclaimations of highest temperature changes ever rather puzzling.

The natural variability of earths climate. Thanks to geology science has million of years worth of data demonstrating that natural variability. What science does not have is corresponding temperature data over that prolonged period. Which makes proclaimations of highest temperature changes ever rather puzzling.

Be it as it may... EVs are here to stay :D

If we don’t reduce our dependency on fossil fuels then economics will. If economics fail then mother Nature will finish off the job.
Indeed. But the pace of electrification in the auto industry is causing extreme economic woes for the western manufacturers.

Yes they do.... thats the whole point!

Indeed. But the pace of electrification in the auto industry is causing extreme economic woes for the western manufacturers.

Understood. So how do we help speed it up? Subsidies?

Proxy data not actual measurements.

I don't have the statistics skills required to analyse the data (nor do I have access to the raw data anyway), but isn't it currently the view of the majority of researchers around the world that global warming is being accelerated by human activity? I dont have a personal opinion on the matter, but I'll happily go with what the science (and scientists) says.

I don't have the statistics skills required to analyse the proxy data (nor do I have access to the raw data algorithm anyway), but isn't it currently the view of the majority of researchers around the world that global warming is being accelerated by human activity? I dont have a personal opinion on the matter, but I'll happily go with what the science (and scientists) says.
FTFY

I don't think too many people have a problem with the fact of global warming as temperatures are clearly rising, that's a measurable fact.

We can argue what percentage of that rise is due to human activity but that's not the major issue. The real question for the future is will a change in human activity reduce the rate of temperature increase or even reverse it. As far as I know we have no measurable feedback that says we have slowed the rate of global warming by what we have done to date. Even if emissions stopped overnight the best theory says that the global temperature would continue to rise for decades before stabilising and an eventual decline. That's a lot of faith in what needs to be done now for an outcome that won't be seen for many decades.

Given the momentous nature of this experiment that says act now for a an outcome in 30 years, does anyone think that the above has been properly explained to the public so that we will understand why eco zealots are being allowed making profound changes to lives ?

Do you genuinely think climate change isn’t a problem or are you just stirring the pot?
Empirical temperature data only goes back as far as the mid 19th century. So in reference to post #5892 of this thread not the fastest global temp change rate EVER at all. Instead an assumption.

Given the momentous nature of this experiment that says act now for a an outcome in 30 years, does anyone think that the above has been properly explained to the public so that we will understand why eco zealots are being allowed making profound changes to lives ?
The public wouldn’t really understand it even if it was explained in any more detail than it has already, and the public aren’t best placed to make big or important decisions. Most people find it difficult to to think beyond they’re own immediate reality.

I’m not sure I’d call reducing the human impact on our planet an “experiment”, but if we as humans are having the impact that we (or our scientists) think we’re having - and the “experiment” fails - then the consequences could certainly be “momentous” for our future generations.

...We can argue what percentage of that rise is due to human activity but that's not the major issue. The real question for the future is will a change in human activity reduce the rate of temperature increase or even reverse it....
Surely, the question of whether we can change things or not remains purely academic as long as people aren't convinced that our actions affected the weather in the first place? Before we can debate if our actions can reverse or slow down global warming, we need everyone to agree that our actions can have any effect at all. If people maintain that none of it is due to human activity, then obviously there's no point even considering taking any action.

Empirical temperature data only goes back as far as the mid 19th century. So in reference to post #5892 of this thread not the fastest global temp change rate EVER at all. Instead an assumption.
B S.....Rocks, lake beds and ice samples can be used to show temp changes going back millions of years and its scientifically proven beyond all reasonable doubt by scientists all over the world!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s nice to lead the world. The landmark on the M1 near Nottingham will soon be gone,

Power cuts this winter on the horizon then. Just one year ago the national grid asked Ratcliffe power station to be ready to supply the UK with power due to a fault with the Norway to UK north sea link subsea electricity supply. Now that contingency has gone. Its nice to lead the world, and pay the highest electricity prices on the planet.

Interesting news today from SMMT.

"Private demand for new diesel cars is growing faster than for pure battery electrics, preliminary figures show.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said registrations of new diesel cars for private buyers in September grew by around 17.2% compared with the same month in 2023, up 1,369 units.
That is compared with an approximately 3.7% year-on-year rise for pure battery electrics – up 430 units – despite heavy discounting by manufacturers."

Private demand for new diesel cars growing faster than for EVs

Power cuts this winter on the horizon then. Just one year ago the national grid asked Ratcliffe power station to be ready to supply the UK with power due to a fault with the Norway to UK north sea link subsea electricity supply. Now that contingency has gone. Its nice to lead the world, and pay the highest electricity prices on the planet.

Not sure I follow - what makes you think that the link to Norway will fail again? It's currently fully operational.

Interesting news today from SMMT.

"Private demand for new diesel cars is growing faster than for pure battery electrics, preliminary figures show.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said registrations of new diesel cars for private buyers in September grew by around 17.2% compared with the same month in 2023, up 1,369 units.
That is compared with an approximately 3.7% year-on-year rise for pure battery electrics – up 430 units – despite heavy discounting by manufacturers."

Private demand for new diesel cars growing faster than for EVs

The new car market is heavily dependent on business leases - my guess is that the majority of new EV registrations are in fact business leases (due to the low BIK). I wonder if this shows a downturn in the economy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom