Threatening letter from DVLA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If DVLA Swansea can't convicnce DVLA Nottingham that I'm innocent, what hope have I got?!?!?
Precious little, I'd suspect :(

Just as a thought, and in the vain hope that someone, somewhere, in the cesspit of incompetance that goes under the name DVLA may see sense, why not write to your MP and ask them for their help to resolve the matter? Should provide a bit of sport, if nothing else?

Have you thought of scanning the docs and emailing them?

Precious little, I'd suspect :(

Just as a thought, and in the vain hope that someone, somewhere, in the cesspit of incompetance that goes under the name DVLA may see sense, why not write to your MP and ask them for their help to resolve the matter? Should provide a bit of sport, if nothing else?

Yea could do.
I also want to write to Wachdog etc. but often these things never happen as there's never time.

Yea could do.
I also want to write to Wachdog etc. but often these things never happen as there's never time.

Watchdog is pretty pathetic, toothless, and thick.

They did a piece on DVLA a couple of years back where driver licence details being messed up and people couldn't get them corrected. It was a cop out and they let the DVLA representative off the hook on what was a scandal not just of incompetence but of nasty vindictive un-British bureaucracy.

Agreed that Watchdog doesn't really carry much weight, but would be nice to see them exposed a bit. (Although, doesn't actually do much good, as they are still useless.)

Re the posting thing - it's as well to get proof of posting but don't bother with POD. It's been held in cases to do with SORN notices that posting the document to the DVLA is all you need to do. First class post is considered to be "served" hence that's why NIPs can be sent out that way.

If you get stuck with these people after going through the complaints process then ask your MP to look into it - requests from MPs go in to Government departments at a *very* high level.

Yeah, they were on BBC's Watchdog recently. The DVLA boss stated that if you don't receive an acknowledgement from them within four weeks of sending off the log book, then assume it never reached them.

The DVLA Boss said that? Did he also explain why it should take 4 weeks to acknowledge receipt of a letter in the first place? Why not (say) 4 working days? I run a small business, and would have never gotten away with this kind of response time... my customers would have all left me a long time ago.

The DVLA Boss said that? Did he also explain why it should take 4 weeks to acknowledge receipt of a letter in the first place? Why not (say) 4 working days? I run a small business, and would have never gotten away with this kind of response time... my customers would have all left me a long time ago.

I think the four weeks thing is to do with the amount of time it takes them to process the large number of docs they receive daily.

You clearly run your business the old fashioned way - treat customers well, and they'll return.
Those days are gone now. And as the DVLA have the monopoly on car docs, they can (and do) muck up as much as they like, and still not receive any loss in 'trade.'

Update:
Received a letter from this bunch of idiots today saying, "Thank you for your recent enquiry concerning the out of court settlement offered to you regarding 'reg no.' .............blah blah blah.
The contents have been noted. In the circumstances, no further action will be taken."

Now, I'm not really sure what they mean by 'enquiry'
They're probably referring to when the guy from Swansea called them.

Interestingly, my deadline for paying the fine (from their threatening letter) was 9th Aug. The letter received today was dated 10th Aug.
So I reckon they waited until my payment deadline time to see if I would pay up. Then, when their ZX Spectrum flagged that mr. shr's payment deadline had expired, they realised that I wasn't going to back down so thought they'd let me off the hook.

Proper bunch of Berkshire Hunts!! Excuse my harsh language, but not even a glimmer of an appology from them.
So bit on an anti-climax but at least I haven't got to worry about bailifs, courts etc.

Others in the thread have said they are having similar problems. Please do keep us updated with your cases. I'd like to know how it goes for you.

Cheers,
Shr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom